Factory Technology wheel paint color

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
Reviving the thread to complete the info now that it is available.
I was given last year the manufacturer's name and address, of the Porsche techno wheels in the east of France.
I visited the factory today, they still have a couple of 993 turbo wheels here and there.
Saw how the wheels were made and the molds, but the info I got concerning the thread is for Turbo S

The Turbo S wheel color was made there, and it is not paint.
They have this machine where they put the wheel inside, and
plenty of 99.9 % aluminum rods in an adjacent connecting cabinet.
The machine melts the aluminum, anode-cathode on the wheel, and creates vacuum in the wheel cabinet. The areas to be covered on the wheel are
bare, so the facia.
The machine opens a breach in the vacuum cabinet and let's the melted aluminum and air enter. A thin skin of aluminum covers the wheel facia directly.
Wheel out, it gets coat of lacquer. They said lacquer was very special and very very expensive, to catch on a nano surface.

They still produce for Porsche, and they where working on the 991 turbo to come wheel, that I was forbidden to see.
Voila !
Holy smokes! Could you translate that to english?
Old 04-06-2012, 06:31 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
Holy smokes! Could you translate that to english?
Under torture, maybe ...
Old 04-07-2012, 06:50 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Reviving the thread to complete the info now that it is available.
I was given last year the manufacturer's name and address, of the Porsche techno wheels in the east of France.
I visited the factory today, they still have a couple of 993 turbo wheels here and there.
Saw how the wheels were made and the molds, but the info I got concerning the thread is for Turbo S

The Turbo S wheel color was made there, and it is not paint.
They have this machine where they put the wheel inside, and
plenty of 99.9 % aluminum rods in an adjacent connecting cabinet.
The machine melts the aluminum, anode-cathode on the wheel, and creates vacuum in the wheel cabinet. The areas to be covered on the wheel are
bare, so the facia.
The machine opens a breach in the vacuum cabinet and let's the melted aluminum and air enter. A thin skin of aluminum covers the wheel facia directly.
Wheel out, it gets coat of lacquer. They said lacquer was very special and very very expensive, to catch on a nano surface.

They still produce for Porsche, and they where working on the 991 turbo to come wheel, that I was forbidden to see.
Voila !
Happy Easter,
for the record,

1- TURBO S wheels are not painted
2- Color is a thin layer of pure aluminum deposit. Proceedure called IVD (Ion Vapour Deposit)
3- Coated special lacquer with strong adherence attributes to nano surfaces.
regards
Old 04-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Happy Easter,
for the record,

2- Color is a thin layer of pure aluminum deposit. Proceedure called IVD (Ion Vapour Deposit)
regards
That is wild. I wonder how they came up with that idea? The BBS CH's on my R32 have a similar color and I wonder how close they are?
Old 04-10-2012, 03:49 AM
speedy88
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happy Easter,
for the record,

regards
This is why I love this forum! Great info!!!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:34 PM
oshkosh99
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Who is that company in the "east of france" ??

Hi all,

after the good posts above the question remains, who did that special aluminium deposit surface for the technology wheels??
And who is that manufacturer in the "east of france" ??

Geolab unfortunately does not answer my mails.

I do have a genuine 1998 993 turbo s, however the wheels were painted at some point.
I also bought a set of hollow spoke wheels of which the seller claims that they have the original surface and stem from his own turbo s (on which he mounted larger brakes and hence wheels).

No-one, however, can tell me if those wheels really have the right surface, and I have not seen a turbo S where it is 100% sure that the wheels are original.
So I did some research on my own.

All hollow spoke wheels for the 993 were made by "sm" (is also pressed inside all wheels), which stands for (no, not what you think, it stands for "Stahlschmidt & Maiworm GmbH" , a company that pionieered low-pressure casting (niederdruckguss) in the early 1960s. S&M was acquired by ATS wheels in Germany around 1970 or so; ATS by the way had their own formula 1 team from 1977 to 1983. ATS has since got acquired by uniwheels.

I have had contact with the design director for racing and special wheels at ATS who also spoke to the guy who was their Porsche product manager 15 years ago, and they assure me that they did make all 993 hollow spoke wheels and there is no company in France who did them or could even do them as this technology is not that easy.
However they also said that they did not do the special aluminum "sputtering" of the wheels and confirmed an information I had gotten elsewhere, that there was a company near Dresden Germany who did sputtering of wheels in the nineties but was not able to attain any quality levels sufficient for OEMs like Porsche.

So who did the aluminium deposit or sputtering surface treatment? Who is that company geolab claims to have visited? Appearently Porsche does use outside vendors to do surface finish on wheels for smaller series, but Porsche Exclusive and Porsche Classic have not yet been able to come up with an answer to my questions either.

And who could look at pictures of my wheels and tell me if those are genuine?

Geolab, please come forward and name the company you visited, maybe someone there can look at my pictures.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2013, 01:58 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

???????????????????

what emails ?

I am shocked. I just rechecked my messages, and I have never received one from you. I always respond I do not understand. Maybe a moderator could find the message you sent me, I don't see one not answered.

I brought the info here, but I do not have a turbo S. I do not want a turbo S, and I do not want to have my wheels done like the turbo S.

You say I 'claim' the info, but why do you think so ? what interest I have here to claim?
You think I claim because you have the correct info ?....GREAT.
But why are you asking me for details of my claimed info, since you have the correct info ?
If you say SM did the wheels, and not the IVD finish, how come ?

They did all the hollow spoke wheels and do not know how the hollow turbo S wheels finish was made ?

ok .....good.

The info in this thread is how the wheel finishes were made. I am sorry, I did not reply to this post to brag and say I will give the address.

I... am not in the wheel business.
no hard feelings.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:13 PM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

What are the part numbers on the back of the wheels?
Old 03-15-2013, 01:57 PM
oshkosh99
Advanced

Geolab,

sorry I did not want to offend you. I definitively did send you two personal mails at the contact info given here in the forum about 2 months ago and one month ago. Maybe they were not forwarded as I am not a full paying member, maybe I should be come one. I will send a test mail again right after I post this answer.

All I want to do is find out if I have the correct wheels for my newly acquired turbo S and where the correct finish was made.
Fact is that all the hollow spoke wheels I have now (3 sets of them) were made by a manufacturer called "sm" and that seems to be "Stahlschmidt&Maiworm" who belongs to or was acquired by ATS. And at ATS they know this finish but do not know who did the finish. And at Porsche Exclusive and Porsche Classic sofar noone was able to help me. And on my turbo S all 4 wheels were also made by sm.

So now in that other post regarding "turbo S rims" 993pervy just posted, that the genuine turbo S rims do in fact have a different number with ...980... in the middle, like many exclusive parts. I have asked there if in fact that number is casted into the rims like the others and if they see a manufactuer abbreviation there.
That would explain why ATS does not know the finish but would mean, that I do have completely wrong wheels on my turbo S, not just resurfaced but someone exchanged them.

And goelab, again without offence, what is so secret about the name of the factory in france you visited? Did you have to promise them to not mention them? Would help to know your contact there, at least I could send them some pictures of the wheels I bought as allegedly being turbo S wheels, and then I would know if they are fake or not.

Again no offence please, I am just trying to get some help.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2013, 02:46 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oshkosh99
Geolab,

sorry I did not want to offend you. I definitively did send you two personal mails at the contact info given here in the forum about 2 months ago and one month ago. Maybe they were not forwarded as I am not a full paying member, maybe I should be come one. I will send a test mail again right after I post this answer.
Hello oshkosh, it seems that you are sending me emails through my avatar, that does not work. Instead, click on private message and I will receive.

All I want to do is find out if I have the correct wheels for my newly acquired turbo S and where the correct finish was made.
Fact is that all the hollow spoke wheels I have now (3 sets of them) were made by a manufacturer called "sm" and that seems to be "Stahlschmidt&Maiworm" who belongs to or was acquired by ATS. And at ATS they know this finish but do not know who did the finish. And at Porsche Exclusive and Porsche Classic sofar noone was able to help me. And on my turbo S all 4 wheels were also made by sm.

So now in that other post regarding "turbo S rims" 993pervy just posted, that the genuine turbo S rims do in fact have a different number with ...980... in the middle, like many exclusive parts. I have asked there if in fact that number is casted into the rims like the others and if they see a manufactuer abbreviation there.
That would explain why ATS does not know the finish but would mean, that I do have completely wrong wheels on my turbo S, not just resurfaced but someone exchanged them.
You will have better chance here for info on the 993 than anywhere, not even the most sold 993 books.

And goelab, again without offence, what is so secret about the name of the factory in france you visited? Did you have to promise them to not mention them? Would help to know your contact there, at least I could send them some pictures of the wheels I bought as allegedly being turbo S wheels, and then I would know if they are fake or not.

Again no offence please, I am just trying to get some help.

Thanks
we , and I mean a lot of members on this board, are here to share info.....and share help.
The wheel factory I visited was with a team of technicians from Michelin
The factory works with Porsche, and they do not deal with public. And they do not deal with anything Porsche with any other company, and surely not with me.
But for info, I could ask them for you if you want. I cannot guaranty they will help, but I will try.

here is info you want, I am sure:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ith-turbo.html
Old 03-18-2013, 01:47 PM
oshkosh99
Advanced

Geolab,
yes I did send my messages through "send private email", which apperarently does not work. Yesterday I then send one through "send private message"...

As to your offer to ask someone at that factory: yes that would be great.

I just posted 3 pictures in the thread on "turbo S rims", would be great to get their opinion on which of those to them looks like the right one.

And then please aks them from when to when did they supply those wheels with that surface treatment to Porsche for the 993 turbo s wheels. I am getting the suspition, that Porsche changed the surface of the turbo S wheels somewhere along the line from "aluminium deposited" to more of a high gloss silver paint ....

Thanks !

Last edited by oshkosh99; 03-18-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:29 AM
993ninja
5th Gear

Default color code for 17" targa wheels

Does anyone have the exact color code for 17" targa wheels?
(1997, 993 targa artic silver body)

does the above apply to these:

any help will be much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Factory Technology wheel paint color