993 Forum 1995-1998

LA scenic route suggestion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 04:01 AM
Halcyon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LA scenic route suggestion?

hmm, it's about time to take the car out for a more legit drive on Saturday.
I haven't moved it out of a 2mile radius of the parking spot its at right now ever since I got it 3 weeks ago. I haven't even gotten any photo of my car yet (so I need to find a route that has a scenic background and overlooks that I can stop at to take pics). Now don't go calling 993 abuse on me yet xD Even though I'm busy, I do at least take the time to see it and dust it everyday!

I'm around USC right now. I'm thinking of either going west to Santa Monica up to Malibu. That should provide plenty of nice photo spots. But is the drive on PCH 1 straight and boring? Or should I head to Mulholland Dr instead. Is the scenic worth it there? ( I would imagine overlooking LA is not the most impressive sight whereas the ocean would be a much better choice ...)

Any other suggestions are appreciated

* not really looking for a "spirited drive", just want to cruise at a leisurely and enjoyable speed

Thanks
Old 04-12-2011, 10:31 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Car exercise

Depending on the time you have I would go a bit further to Orange County to Laguna Beach and eat at Las Brisas on the water.........
Old 04-12-2011, 01:28 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Driving PCH this weekend with 80 degree weather would be a dream for most. If, as you said, you're looking for a cruise, you couldn't do much better. If you think that's too boring, hang a right at Malibu Canyon or Kanan Dume roads in Malibu and head for the twisties up Mulholland Dr. there. There are some of the best spirited driving roads in the entire country up there.

I'll be up there on Sunday giving my C4S a workout. Maybe I'll see you on the road
Old 04-12-2011, 01:32 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 93 Posts

I'll be up there once I get my suspension sorted. Thanks Goofball for showing me how inadequate my car is now! lol
Old 04-12-2011, 02:45 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hang on- did you finally find a car? I think I missed that post?
Originally Posted by Halcyon
just want to cruise at a leisurely and enjoyable speed
Well, these cars aren't meant to be babied and putt putt along. Once you've warmed it up properly, you need to get it close to the red line once per drive and then generally keeping the revs up and shifting certainly at 4,000+ This doesn't mean breaking the speed limit, but rather driving deliberately and with purpose.

Hmmm...so how to condense 15 years of L.A. car guy knowledge into one post? As others have mentioned, the classic drive is up PCH, then up one canyon then back to LA via the 101 south, for variety. I like to stop at the Rock Store along the way. The traffic on summer weekends can be murder, so go early if you must, like leave your house at 6:30 and be home by 9:30. Next Supercar Sunday is May 29th at Westfield Plaza.

Cars and Coffee Irvine is similar to the south: http://irvine.carsandcoffee.info/ Both start early, like be there parked by 6:30. Also in the OC is Ortega Highway, sort of like Mulholland to the south. Slightly less-traveled is Trabuco Canyon, which ends up at Cook's Corner, sort of like the Rock Store of Orange County.

Once the snow clears, the CA 14 is a nice drive, the "back way" up to Big Bear. The Pelicans usually do a New Year's Day run, sometimes there, other times up near Ojai, where there are some great roads. There are also PCA breakfast meetings at Santa Monica airport and Frisco's in Long Beach.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Halcyon
Racer

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Driving PCH this weekend with 80 degree weather would be a dream for most. If, as you said, you're looking for a cruise, you couldn't do much better. If you think that's too boring, hang a right at Malibu Canyon or Kanan Dume roads in Malibu and head for the twisties up Mulholland Dr. there. There are some of the best spirited driving roads in the entire country up there.

I'll be up there on Sunday giving my C4S a workout. Maybe I'll see you on the road
I would be worried about traffic on PCH . But if its not too bad, along with going up Kanan Dume+ Mulholland, that sounds like a good combo
I hope I won't be blocking any super spirited drivers as I leisurely drive by there (I guess I could just pull over n let em pass though) ^^; How are the cops there btw, not that I'll be doing any unsafe driving

*i'm going Saturday :| maybe sometime in the future we can meet up ^_^

Originally Posted by TheBen
I'll be up there once I get my suspension sorted. Thanks Goofball for showing me how inadequate my car is now! lol
Looking forward to meeting more of you guys someday

Originally Posted by abiazis
Depending on the time you have I would go a bit further to Orange County to Laguna Beach and eat at Las Brisas on the water.........
hmm... I guess i should check that out on another weekend

Originally Posted by dcdude
Hang on- did you finally find a car? I think I missed that post?
Well, these cars aren't meant to be babied and putt putt along. Once you've warmed it up properly, you need to get it close to the red line once per drive and then generally keeping the revs up and shifting certainly at 4,000+ This doesn't mean breaking the speed limit, but rather driving deliberately and with purpose.

Hmmm...so how to condense 15 years of L.A. car guy knowledge into one post? As others have mentioned, the classic drive is up PCH, then up one canyon then back to LA via the 101 south, for variety. I like to stop at the Rock Store along the way. The traffic on summer weekends can be murder, so go early if you must, like leave your house at 6:30 and be home by 9:30. Next Supercar Sunday is May 29th at Westfield Plaza.

Cars and Coffee Irvine is similar to the south: http://irvine.carsandcoffee.info/ Both start early, like be there parked by 6:30. Also in the OC is Ortega Highway, sort of like Mulholland to the south. Slightly less-traveled is Trabuco Canyon, which ends up at Cook's Corner, sort of like the Rock Store of Orange County.

Once the snow clears, the CA 14 is a nice drive, the "back way" up to Big Bear. The Pelicans usually do a New Year's Day run, sometimes there, other times up near Ojai, where there are some great roads. There are also PCA breakfast meetings at Santa Monica airport and Frisco's in Long Beach.
Yes, I haven't made a formal announcement that I found my 993 YET :P I wanted to get a better feel of the car and better photos of the car before I post . Because I believe a cellphone photo of the car just won't give it justice.
And thanks for the reminder on the revs I've did my homework prior to buying so I have read about warm ups and varying rev etc , just haven't had to chance to have a long enough drive that I can bring it up anywhere past 4krpm (LA traffic -__-)

But, 6:30 AM O_O I would, but I don't know if my passenger friend would wanna get up that early haha.

So I guess, malibu, rock store, 101 , thats going to my Saturday so excited!

I've heard about Car and Coffee at Irvine. Gotta take a trip down there sometime, but I would have to wake up pretty early though haha.

Thank you guys
Old 04-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

If you are driving Malibu Canyon, Kanan or Mulholland, make sure and watch your speed as the Sheriffs and CHP can target those roads on the weekends. Some good roads in the Santa Monica Mtns. are Decker, Encinal, Latigo, Stunt Road. Find a road map of this area and search these roads out. You won't be dissappointed. Have fun.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Winston711
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Halcyon, got this website a while back on this forum...http://www.lateralg.org/

Have fun
Old 04-12-2011, 05:45 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

The only suggestion is to plot your course based upon traffic conditions. Try and not drive anywhere (ex. Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu on weekends) heavily conjested.

I still marvel at PCH from Carmel down to San Simeon - did that drive summer of 2009. That has to be the best sports car road I've ever been on in the entire world.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:55 PM
agent325
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradford
If you are driving Malibu Canyon, Kanan or Mulholland, make sure and watch your speed as the Sheriffs and CHP can target those roads on the weekends. Some good roads in the Santa Monica Mtns. are Decker, Encinal, Latigo, Stunt Road. Find a road map of this area and search these roads out. You won't be dissappointed. Have fun.
+ 1 One of my favorite strech of roads in So Cal. Aviod PCH this weekend, way too crowded on warm weekends.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Halcyon
Racer

ooo thanks winston that link is very helpful ^_^

anyone see any trouble I might have of this route if i go hop in the car at 9AM and probably get to malibu around 10AM this Saturday? I haven't been to the beach since I moved here so I have no idea how bad traffic really is over there.

* no affiliation to google or whatever that shows up on my screenshot

btw, i have 3/4 tank of gas. think thats enough? or should I top it off. ( we know normally its 15/23 ish for city /highway , but what about canyon roads xD)
Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2011, 08:06 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Weather looks to be perfect this Saturday, so by 10:00 it will be a complete cluster eff up there with every available crazy sport bike, cyclist and CHP officer with you. Leave early or lower your expectations.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Take it for a run up Palomar mountain-South Grade Rd. That'll get your "Porsche On".

An alternative this weekend is down to LB on Saturday for the ALMS race.

Please tell us you aren't taking 2 mile drives in it. If you are, you'll be changing a lot of oil.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Halcyon
Racer

ooo Palomar looks good but it seems a bit far for this weekend ^^;

And don't worry, I haven't taken it out more than 5 times, I've been avoiding short trips at all cost. And even if the trip is short, there is usually a long way around it that i could take

Thanks guys Malibu n those canyon it is then, for this saturday. hope traffic aint too bad, but even if it is, it is still a nice day to be out
Old 04-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Mike Pezely
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porschemikeandnancy
The only suggestion is to plot your course based upon traffic conditions. Try and not drive anywhere (ex. Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu on weekends) heavily conjested.

I still marvel at PCH from Carmel down to San Simeon - did that drive summer of 2009. That has to be the best sports car road I've ever been on in the entire world.
Mike, Next time you do that drive, continue south through Cambria-Morro Bay--San Luis Obispo even to Pismo Beach for the best clam chowder in central Ca. You are so right, that is a great drive that everyone should do at least once. Mike

Quick Reply: LA scenic route suggestion?