993 Forum 1995-1998

Sunroof seal replacement

Old 03-24-2011, 06:36 PM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sunroof seal replacement

Folks,

I am trying to find the DIY on how to change both the front and rear seal on the sunroof. Just had the whole thing painted, and this is last step to 'seal' the car up, since i dont have a garage, and my storage ends on 3/31, really need to get it done ASAP.

I saw one earlier, but can not find it now.. it was a red 993 with pictures.

So, with that said, any and ALL advise is welcomed.

For the glue, I was thinking of using contact cement, since its dry to the touch, till it touches another layer of contact cement, i think this may be a good way to go.

My plan is as follows:

1. Remove sunroof (i need to do the rear seal as well)
2. Tape out all areas next too the small 1/4 inch strip on the car (Tape on top of roof, and tape on below front edge.
3. Measure seal on tape, marking center of seals and roof and where the ends end.
4. scuff the area getting taped, then apply contact cement with small brush.
5. Apply cement to seals. Once dry, apply blue painters tape on entire length of seals, and cut them every few inches.
6. Start with front seal. Working from the middle, apply seal by removing the 1-2 inches of tape and then applying the seal with my thumb as a height guide.

Basically do the same for the rear seal that goes on the roof itself.

I have thought this thru ;-)..

Is contact cement good enough? What other glues are out there that operate like contact cement (dry to touch, and only stick to other glued surfaces)?

Anything I am missing???
Old 03-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

thats an intense plan...which is good, because the sunroof seal is the crappiest part of the whole car.

contact cement should do if you get the surface very clean.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I just did this for the 2nd time after messing it up the first.

I wold do the rear seal first, it sets the height for the front. Let the rear seal sit all the way down to the base of the sunroof.
Tape both seals before you rip them off, & mark where they were. I measured the seal instead & it ended up being a little short once on the car, you may need to stretch the rear one to fit. Fit it when the glue is tacky! Then tape it in place.

The front seal is the PITA, the corners like to lift up & be higher then the rest of the seal. It's really hard to get them level. I put the seal on, let it sit for 10min, then pushed the corners down to where they should be, then taped them down.

I put some glue on the car, then put it on the seal about 8in at a time, then pressed it into place. You might need help, or just tape the seal down as you go, it will come off, as it's super stiff & doesn't want to bend into place. MAKE SURE THE ENDS OF THE FRONT SEAL BEND DOWNWARD.

I used a 3m glue, can't think of it off the top of my head, but it's black, & nasty. I would not use contact cement.

When you are getting everything back in place, make sure the back metal bracket tabs are in the sunroof tabs. Use the metal springs to hold in place.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:46 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Here ya' go...... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-87-911-a.html ....Be sure to allow plenty of time...This is not a project you want to try to fit in between your kid's soccer match and your sister-in-law's wedding....Get a friend who can stand right there and provide an extra hand at precisely the time you need it (Not your kid or wife as they will tire quickly and wander off)....Use the adhesive shown in the link, not just any "contact cement"....Tape everything off carefully.... Pre-shape the gaskets to fit the opening before you apply adhesive....Be patient....Slow and accurate is better than fast and sloppy....Have beer on hand for when you complete the job...Good luck.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:05 AM
levtron
Racer

Thanks much for the advise.

Unfortunately I can not tape off the old ones, since they are gone, and the entire car was painted.

I presume you are talking about the flat seal, non felt one, when you mention stretching. Since the felt ones have a mettle component. (Not to stretchable ;-) )

I have the perfect buddy for the job.. The guy who sold me the car!.. He would be insulted if he did not help. ;-)

Now just need a nice day to do this.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:09 AM
levtron
Racer

why not contact cement btw? Its clear, waterproof, and sounds like its easier to work with then the 3M black paste, which is very sticky I presume = harder to work with.

Is there a technical reason not to use contact cement?
Old 03-25-2011, 07:48 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
Does a 993 sunroof headliner work the same way as that? Mine is detached at the rear and I need to fix it.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:30 AM
levtron
Racer

i certainly hope so ;-), since mine is also a 993...
Old 03-25-2011, 09:33 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

The car in the linked DIY is not a 993...
Old 03-25-2011, 09:56 AM
levtron
Racer

BTW... love your setup.. Euro turbo nose, and MY02... Mine exact setup as well. I deleted my headlamp washers as well. Next time you re-spray the nose, highly recommend that deletion.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:57 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
Does a 993 sunroof headliner work the same way as that? Mine is detached at the rear and I need to fix it.
The Pelican link is the one I used when I did the seal on my 993 and although the photos are not of a 993, the sunroof is exactly the same. The only thing different is that the roof in the DIY is stuck closed...Hence the tool he had made to pull the liner down. If your roof works, just open your roof about 3" and carefully pop the front edge off the retainer clips. Then slide the liner back into the rear of the roof to access the sunroof mechanism. The rest is a piece of cake, but if you're uncertain, take a few photos with your phone and have them handy when you put it back together.

As for contact regular contact cement versus the 3M stuff...The 3M is automotive grade intended for gaskets, etc. I don't know if regular contact cement meets those technical specifications.

Good luck.

Terry
Old 03-25-2011, 01:00 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by levtron
why not contact cement btw? Its clear, waterproof, and sounds like its easier to work with then the 3M black paste, which is very sticky I presume = harder to work with.

Is there a technical reason not to use contact cement?
It's a "right tool for the job" type of thing. If you are going to DIY, then do it right. The 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive is made for exactly this type of thing. Yes the 3M stuff is a bit of a pain to work with, but I wouldn't use an alternative. Do you want to save a few bucks and then risk having all your hard work fall apart, or just spend a few bucks on a tube, and maybe a little extra time, and be sure you did it right?
Old 03-25-2011, 08:25 PM
levtron
Racer

hard to argue with that ;-).. Will be getting my own, very special tube of the 3M stuff. Weeeeeeeee ;-0..

Thanks for all the answers...
Old 03-25-2011, 11:51 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Thanks for the clarification for me too! I need to fix the rear of the sunroof headliner. Seems like I can just open the roof a little, pop it off of the clips, and re glue the rear edge.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:00 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

now i cant get the headliner panel back in...WTF???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sunroof seal replacement