Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

A little Birdie told me.... (Rennsport Reunion IV Oct 2011)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 12:30 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RJT
I'd be happy riding shot gun with anyone who has an open passenger seat and I think there might be a few of those. Maybe I should ask.
Can picture it now, JoAnne standing down in the entrance to T5 where they'll feed the cars on..........making it somehow obvious she'd like to ride along with a single.

(Random thought, but this event would be so much better if it were at Sears..........)
Old 03-10-2011, 01:01 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
If you ordered it, you'd have plainly seen it is on Saturday.
Thanks Ed, I didn't read it all the way through. I just click and ordered.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:18 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RJT
As for Tarpy's It would be okay on Thursday, but forget it on the weekend. Remember the parking nightmare last time? Robert drove around the lot for almost a 1/2 hour looking for a spot and was lucky to find one that was barely big enough to fit the MINI. I love Tarpy's but not THAT much. It's gotten too popular. There are other places in town with bigger lots and food that is just as good, I'm sure we could find somewhere for a GTG.
+1. Maybe a "RL only" spot would be better and easier. I DO like the idea of a patio, though. If Mother Superior drafts up the weekend's party spot schedule, I'm pretty sure that the RL 993 boys will follow. Other options might be: Baja Cantina, Mission Ranch, Henry's BBQ and Village Fish House.

Last edited by dcdude; 03-10-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

We have done Tarpy's a couple of times at the historics. The last time I went in '09 I kinda told myself never again-the parking sucks big time.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:26 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok.... I am going to fly in for this I think. What's current thinking on best hotel options if one can get them...?
Old 03-10-2011, 07:29 PM
caronsd
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll throw out an option for a RL dinner, although it's a little bit of a drive (oh darn... we HAVE to use the cars???).

There's a Mexican/Seafood place in Moss Landing called the Whole Enchilada - right on Highway 1, near the shadow of the power plant stacks. They recently (a few years ago) expanded their "empire" to include a fruit stand & coffee shop, etc. (in addition to the Biker bar that shares a wall with the restaurant). In doing so, they expanded the parking area a fair amount behind such that getting a bunch-o'-Porsches parked together without intervening minivans would be pretty easy.

Food is pretty good, as are the margaritas. That also can be a negative as it's probably a 14-mile drive or so back to Monterey.

Anyways, something to consider. They have a section of the dining room that could easily accommodate a good-sized group, especially if we're there on a Thursday.....
Old 03-10-2011, 07:58 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by caronsd
I'll throw out an option for a RL dinner, although it's a little bit of a drive (oh darn... we HAVE to use the cars???).

There's a Mexican/Seafood place in Moss Landing called the Whole Enchilada - right on Highway 1, near the shadow of the power plant stacks. They recently (a few years ago) expanded their "empire" to include a fruit stand & coffee shop, etc. (in addition to the Biker bar that shares a wall with the restaurant). In doing so, they expanded the parking area a fair amount behind such that getting a bunch-o'-Porsches parked together without intervening minivans would be pretty easy.

Food is pretty good, as are the margaritas. That also can be a negative as it's probably a 14-mile drive or so back to Monterey.

Anyways, something to consider. They have a section of the dining room that could easily accommodate a good-sized group, especially if we're there on a Thursday.....
Is that the one by Phil's Fish House?

I am up for it.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:05 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 315 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Ok.... I am going to fly in for this I think. What's current thinking on best hotel options if one can get them...?
Do you need fancy accommodations or is a motel okay for you?

So far we are all over town.

PM coming your way....
Old 03-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I know several people who are staying at the Hyatt in Monterey.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:12 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by race911
Can picture it now, JoAnne standing down in the entrance to T5 where they'll feed the cars on..........making it somehow obvious she'd like to ride along with a single.

(Random thought, but this event would be so much better if it were at Sears..........)

SOMEHOW OBVIOUS??? Hmmmm...... lol

Several people at the Hyatt.

Quite a few the Best Western Park Crest on Munras.

Several at the Embassy Suites.

A few at the Quality Inn on Munras.

A few at the Marriott.

A few at the Best Western in Seaside.

One at the Best Western on Fremont.

One at the Mariposa Inn.

One in Carmel at.... I forgot.

List goes on.

One at the Portola Hotel and Spa .
Old 03-10-2011, 09:20 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
We have done Tarpy's a couple of times at the historics. The last time I went in '09 I kinda told myself never again-the parking sucks big time.
That's what happened the last time we ate there in '09. The parking was so bad we said never again. Place is great, food is great, everyone wants to go there (and that's the problem). The parking SUCKS. Too bad they can't get along with the shopping center next door. All those signs that say you will be towed away if you park there and go to Tarpy's are very unfriendly.

I like the idea of going to the place in Moss Landing, but after a day at the track, wouldn't it be nice to just shower (PLEASE SHOWER!!!!) and find a place central to town so everyone can go and get there on time? Just thinking out loud guys..... I do that a lot.
Hmmm....Maybe we CAN do Moss Landing on Thursday for the Early birds? It's not that far out of town. No different really than going to Carmel Valley.
It does sound like a great place. Let's plan it there for tentatively for Thursday. I trust you since you live there. Do you think it would be crowded on Friday or Saturday?

Henry's BBQ? haven't been there before? Where is that? How's the parking?
Old 03-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

... One at the Portola Hotel and Spa Monterey.

Natalie and I will be driving the smokin' rental Mustang/Vette/Boxster/Whatever We Can Get Our Hands On!

Best,

Matt
Old 03-10-2011, 09:30 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
... One at the Portola Hotel and Spa Monterey.

Natalie and I will be driving the smokin' rental Mustang/Vette/Boxster/Whatever We Can Get Our Hands On!

Best,

Matt

They way my lucky has been going, we'll be the ones stuck in a Kia......

Added you to the list above.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:37 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm in for the Rennsport Reunion IV

I would also recommend the Baja Cantina instead of Tarpy's.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

Wherever y'all be organizing, Nat and I will be eating!

And drinking.

And cabbing it back to the hotel.

Quick Reply: A little Birdie told me.... (Rennsport Reunion IV Oct 2011)