Question re: swapping my CDR 210 for CR 220

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 02:46 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Question re: swapping my CDR 210 for CR 220

Hi all,

My 993 has a CDR 210 (it plays CDs, but not burned ones, and has no Aux input). I have found a CR 220 (that has no CD deck, but has a tape deck and Aux input) for sale on Rennlist, and I have a few questions about it.

1 - Will the CR 220 fit into my dash without modification?

2 - Is it a BAD idea to swap out my radio? I know many of you have done it, but I'm always EXTREMELY wary about letting anybody touch my dash. My general experience is that once things are yanked out of the dash, rattles pop up and NEVER go away.

3 - Do I need anything beyond a basic Auxiliary cable to plug my iPod into a CR 220?

4 - Are there any other implications (good or bad) about doing this swap that you all are aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by asofine; 03-01-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:02 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

bump
Old 03-01-2011, 03:09 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1 - Will the CR 210 fit into my dash without modification?
I think you mean CR 220 right? Yes it will. When you pull the 210 there's a metal cage left behind that has to be removed before you install the 220 - an easy job, just bend a couple of tabs and pull it out. Otherwise the 220 just slides right in. There's a thread here somewhere that shows you in detail how to do it. Taping the dash right below the radio to avoid scratches is an excellent idea too.

2 - Is it a BAD idea to swap out my radio? I know many of you have done it, but I'm always EXTREMELY wary about letting anybody touch my dash. My general experience is that once things are yanked out of the dash, rattles pop up and NEVER go away.
Not at all, lots here have done it. I went from 210 to 220 and then Traffic Pro with no regrets. No rattles or odd performance issues either, just better sound (although hardly state of the art).

3 - Do I need anything beyond a basic Auxiliary cable to plug my iPod into a CR 220?
No but you need the right cables. There isn't an AUX mini-plug per se but rather an adapter that plugs in the back of the head unit in the slot that normally takes the plug for the CD changer. The adapter is available from Becker NA and ends in a couple of RCA plugs so you'll need a further adapter to get from the RCAs to an iPod connector (or whatever you're using). Others here can help on how/where to source those as I've not done it.

4 - Are there any other implications (good or bad) about doing this swap that you all are aware of?
Just better sound. However make sure you have the right faceplate for the 220 as if it's an old Boxter unit you won't be able to read the display in the 993 (different viewing angle). Becker should be able to help with the faceplate, although IIRC it's gotten expensive.

HTH
Old 03-01-2011, 03:13 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
I think you mean CR 220 right? Yes it will. When you pull the 210 there's a metal cage left behind that has to be removed before you install the 220 - an easy job, just bend a couple of tabs and pull it out. Otherwise the 220 just slides right in. There's a thread here somewhere that shows you in detail how to do it. Taping the dash right below the radio to avoid scratches is an excellent idea too.

Not at all, lots here have done it. I went from 210 to 220 and then Traffic Pro with no regrets. No rattles or odd performance issues either, just better sound (although hardly state of the art).

No but you need the right cables. There isn't an AUX mini-plug per se but rather an adapter that plugs in the back of the head unit in the slot that normally takes the plug for the CD changer. The adapter is available from Becker NA and ends in a couple of RCA plugs so you'll need a further adapter to get from the RCAs to an iPod connector (or whatever you're using). Others here can help on how/where to source those as I've not done it.

Just better sound. However make sure you have the right faceplate for the 220 as if it's an old Boxter unit you won't be able to read the display in the 993 (different viewing angle). Becker should be able to help with the faceplate, although IIRC it's gotten expensive.

HTH
Thanks so much!

Quick Reply: Question re: swapping my CDR 210 for CR 220