Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Fog Light Problem (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/619111-fog-light-problem.html)

cdmdriver 02-27-2011 07:26 PM

Fog Light Problem

I usually leave my Fog Lights on. They are stock and so are the headlights. The other night I noticed that even though my fog light switch was on and lit, the fog lights were not on. Pulled the switch in and out a few times and nothing. I left the switch on and several miles later after hitting a bump, the fog lights popped on and stayed on for the duration of the trip. The next night the fogs would not come back on again. I still can not get them to turn on. Any Idea of where to look? I am thinking it is a loose connection somewhere, but it is both fog lights.

csmab 02-27-2011 07:34 PM

Check the fuse and relay in the fuse box under the front hood on the passenger side. My fogs went out and my reverse lights. The fuse was fine but the relay was bad. The relay was $4.75 at Pelican Parts. I bought the relay hoping it would fix the problem. If it didn't I would only be out $4.75.

csertich 02-27-2011 08:00 PM

I'm curious-had this problem for years. When your fog lights stop working, do you have backup lights (they are on the same fuse in my '96 C2)? Mine both (foglights and backup lights) go out at the same time. Used to be able to 'fix' it be re-seating the associated relay (replaced it too) but I'm back in a 'no working' state again.

chuck

cdmdriver 02-28-2011 12:00 AM

I appreciate the information. I will check on the backup(reverse lights). I will also try to reposition/and or replace the relay.

Paul K 02-28-2011 09:18 AM

Fyi, in most states it's illegal to drive with fog lights on under normal driving conditions. $280 fine here in Oregon. Plus they really don't help you see any better during daylight hours.

cdmdriver 02-28-2011 05:34 PM

Its not illegal here in Cali, I don't have the HID upgrade and every little bit helps.

cdmdriver 02-28-2011 07:25 PM

Ok, I checked the fuse for the fogs and it was fine. I replaced the relay and no change. The reverse lights were working, but I thought what the heck, and replaced the relay anyway. So, is there a common ground for just the fogs. Or something that could cause both fog lights to turn on or off when hitting a pot hole.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul K 02-28-2011 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by cdmdriver (Post 8340968)
Its not illegal here in Cali

Might want to check that. A cop (in California) told me it is illegal to have your fogs on under normal driving conditions...

$280 ticket here in Oregon.

Anyhow, have you tested the connectors for voltage? I'd start there & work back.

Good luck!

Paul.

csertich 03-04-2011 02:32 AM

Sorry to bump but I need some ideas. My foglights and backup lights stop working intermittently, at the same time. I've had fuse box replaced, Worked for awhile and then back to the problem. Put in new relay worked for awhile. For a period when I would lose both fogs and backup lights, I was able to re-seat the relay and all was well for awhile. Now they are not wozrking at all. Some have recommended replacing the backup light switch located near the gearbox. But I can't rationalize that this will fix my fog lights. That sound right? That will only fix my backup lights (maybe).

HELP! It's been two years, :(

chuck

Paul M 03-04-2011 05:11 PM

Could the headlight switch itself be the culprit? I had issues with my passenger sidelights working intermittently. I eventually figured out that I could get everything to work by judicious wiggling of the switch. Replacing the switch is on my to-do list.

There are a lot of connections on the back of the switch, I'm assuming that the fog lights are wired through the switch... Worth a try...?

csertich 03-05-2011 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 8353769)
Could the headlight switch itself be the culprit? I had issues with my passenger sidelights working intermittently. I eventually figured out that I could get everything to work by judicious wiggling of the switch. Replacing the switch is on my to-do list.

There are a lot of connections on the back of the switch, I'm assuming that the fog lights are wired through the switch... Worth a try...?

Yes, worth a try. Thanks Paul,

chuck

cdmdriver 03-05-2011 02:54 AM

My switch does not seem to be he problem, sidelights and reverse lights work. But I appreciate the information.

jungleboy 03-05-2011 09:49 AM

Hmmm.... been having this problem lately as well. Curious to see what the solution would be. My lazy solution was going to be replacing the fog lights with new air ducts :D

Jupiterfish 08-19-2013 10:51 PM

Same issue here. Very intermittent working. Tonight I pulled the switch harder than normal and they cut on then off so I think my issue is the switch. Now to find out how to replace that.