993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: People, their money and how to write ads

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 01:04 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Once again I fail to put my point across. It's really not about grammar or spelling, guys (i can't spell to save my life). It's a concept. A basic skill - communication in this case. How does one survive without being able to communicate? How does one afford a Porsche while being Crome?
Old 02-27-2011, 02:29 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
To further comment, ran into a high school English teacher in the lodge on the slopes last week. They'd brought up 50 kids from Oakland (!). Said that there is a massive divide between the good and the bad; those with the skills, and those who don't/don't care. I can see where functional illiteracy was possible in decades/centuries past--work with your hands. Today? Though we all have anecdotal evidence to the contrary, how can you expect to do well without being able to communicate through writing?
I think they teach Ebonics in the Oakland schools these days ...
Old 02-27-2011, 07:15 AM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SOAPBOX:
Ted: Actually, we have been teaching the polyglot of european spoken language as a positive in conflict with actual spoken language, values etc in this country for decades and it certainly has its problems because of the manner in which certain reference points are given importance based upon the particular trials and tribulations within the community in question.
That is what is so good about numbers! Numbers don't portray the stigma through which we all see the world. 2+2= a quantity that is hard to dispute no matter what you are adding up. All other communications betray a dance of sender and receiver.
As a non-european, values of descriptions related to me by others more or less successful within the majority world tend to exaggerate not only the differences in speech patterns and reference points but point to the concerns of the minority population versus the status quo. When native speakers of non-standardized English, or folks who are still in the process of making the transition to full-time use of "standard speech" try to describe things, syntax etc come into play and make it easier to understand the reference (if you get where they are coming from), what they feel is their greatest barrier to real freedom: what they are afraid of and what represents an accepted paragon of their achievements. One of my favorites is when references are made to the "conflict of race" aligned with historical response to accurately describe relationships that are trying to be understood.
"That car drove faster than a white girl running from OJ!" comes to mind as the type of response that occupies the niche to which I refer. These types of expressions must be taken for their contextual meanings and applies to what we think we might share/know about the speaker and their concerns within the society at large. Bronco aside
The only other thing I want to say is that as a pcar driver, I have had many more folks compliment me on my antique Buick than I get folks that say anything to me when I'm driving my 911 in the community. On one hand, one car represents dreams in my community that may have been fulfilled...at least that were in reach.The other an indication of the line that has been drawn between those who conform and those who dreamt a different dream. While I certainly own up to hearing a different drummer, I cannot castigate those who have not been given a good reason to aspire to a world in which all the wealth around them has been gained, but whose intrinsic value has never been acknowledged. I'm just saying...
Regards
Old 02-27-2011, 10:53 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Many people have success without spelling properly. My brother in law has a BA degree and runs a highly successful business in FL. He is now considering buying a car much more expensive than our 993s. Buyers may be annoyed with his terrible spelling and grammar skills (his e/mails make we wince) but they do not stop buying. I would not let poor communication skills stop me from buying a needed product from anyone either. Everyone is different and I just accept it. No one is perfect.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:58 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
It never seizes to amaze me that people actually manage to go through life in a state of partial or complete illiteracy.
I know, I usually have to deal with "ceased" bolts in my car.

Most don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" or "there" and "their", just to name a few. Then there is "I would of".

Remember, humans aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:35 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
It never seizes to amaze me that people actually manage to go through life in a state of partial or complete illiteracy. More so, they actually manage to, presumably, get driver's licenses, computers internet access and post ads. Crome was a prime example of that we are all familiar with, "OK, boys" . But what amazes me even more is that they actually get enough money from somewhere to purchase cars that cost more than $600. Explain that to me, please.

Here's another local brain doctor who " also replaced one side of cadilator converter has paladium": http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/2234191392.html

Discuss. Don't try to comprehend, just discuss.

Maybe start by writing your stuff properly.....

It's "computers, internet access", not "computers internet".....
Old 02-27-2011, 11:46 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Well, I guess you don't really need to have an English Literature Master degree to be sucessful in life.
Well said Sergio...Yet, I do believe that although it doesn't apply in the case cited by the OP, the texting/IM/twitter technology may spell the death (No pun intended) of formal written English.

Last edited by TMc993; 02-28-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:11 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
Well said Sergio...Yet, I do believe that although it doesn't apply in the case cited by the OP, the testing/IM/twitter technology may spell the death (No pun intended) of formal written English.
Agreed... and you meant "texting", not "testing" right?

But English evolves through the ages as new technologies and terminologies arise. It must adapt so it can still be an efficient communication tool. As an example, The verb "Texting" has just recently been added, as a verb that involves entering digital text messages on a device for communications, in our dictionary. This new verb didn't exists a few years ago as the devices or the action didn't exist. We are re-inventing the English language as we evolve. Some is for the good, some is not.

I remember having to read Shakespeare in College in the original English of the times, and having a very difficult time understanding it. If he was alive today, I'm sure he would have a very hard time reading what is known as our formal written English. He would not have a clue on what "texting" was.

Maybe the term "...also replaced one side of cadilator converter has paladium..." is just ahead of its times!

C U L8R
Old 02-27-2011, 03:18 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarhombre
SOAPBOX:
Ted: Actually, we have been teaching the polyglot of european spoken language as a positive in conflict with actual spoken language, values etc in this country for decades and it certainly has its problems because of the manner in which certain reference points are given importance based upon the particular trials and tribulations within the community in question.
That is what is so good about numbers! Numbers don't portray the stigma through which we all see the world. 2+2= a quantity that is hard to dispute no matter what you are adding up. All other communications betray a dance of sender and receiver.
As a non-european, values of descriptions related to me by others more or less successful within the majority world tend to exaggerate not only the differences in speech patterns and reference points but point to the concerns of the minority population versus the status quo. When native speakers of non-standardized English, or folks who are still in the process of making the transition to full-time use of "standard speech" try to describe things, syntax etc come into play and make it easier to understand the reference (if you get where they are coming from), what they feel is their greatest barrier to real freedom: what they are afraid of and what represents an accepted paragon of their achievements. One of my favorites is when references are made to the "conflict of race" aligned with historical response to accurately describe relationships that are trying to be understood.
"That car drove faster than a white girl running from OJ!" comes to mind as the type of response that occupies the niche to which I refer. These types of expressions must be taken for their contextual meanings and applies to what we think we might share/know about the speaker and their concerns within the society at large. Bronco aside
The only other thing I want to say is that as a pcar driver, I have had many more folks compliment me on my antique Buick than I get folks that say anything to me when I'm driving my 911 in the community. On one hand, one car represents dreams in my community that may have been fulfilled...at least that were in reach.The other an indication of the line that has been drawn between those who conform and those who dreamt a different dream. While I certainly own up to hearing a different drummer, I cannot castigate those who have not been given a good reason to aspire to a world in which all the wealth around them has been gained, but whose intrinsic value has never been acknowledged. I'm just saying...
Regards
Are you actually defending the use of Ebonics?
It is hard to tell what you are saying above ^^^
Old 02-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

Maybe the term "...also replaced one side of cadilator converter has paladium..." is just ahead of its times!

C U L8R
Only the hippest, and coolest recognize a new trend, or something well ahead of it's time.

Naturally, I picked up on it immediately.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:42 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I commented on grammar infractions and not on whether people who can't write a coherent email could earn enough money to buy a Porsche because I don't think there is much of a connection. Some people are talented moneymakers despite their language skills.

For that matter, I have never heard of an English professor who could afford a Porsche!
Old 02-27-2011, 11:58 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

language is fluid and is changing all the time.
grammar is a set of rules someone made up. understanding it is good, following it is another thing. personally i rarely capital a sentence. i find no nee to do so. i rely on my readers who are much better educated than i to understand my gibberish, such that i can use my limited talent on something else ;-)

especially with the advent of today's mobile device, a new set of language is forming. you may not like it. but i am afraid those will be more important than the proper english soon. take a look at your kids email or mms. see if you understand TODAY'S proper grammar and english!
Old 02-28-2011, 12:06 AM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 993c4_Toronto
For that matter, I have never heard of an English professor who could afford a Porsche!
That may be, but you would not believe their pensions!
Old 02-28-2011, 01:08 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
language is fluid and is changing all the time.
grammar is a set of rules someone made up. understanding it is good, following it is another thing. personally i rarely capital a sentence. i find no nee to do so. i rely on my readers who are much better educated than i to understand my gibberish, such that i can use my limited talent on something else ;-)

especially with the advent of today's mobile device, a new set of language is forming. you may not like it. but i am afraid those will be more important than the proper english soon. take a look at your kids email or mms. see if you understand TODAY'S proper grammar and english!
Just because we can read the following, doesn't mean that we should write like this:
Did you konw you're a guiens? Jsut the fcat taht you can atllacuy raed tihs psot porves taht fcat. The huamn mnid is so pufowerl it can dcodee tihs txet eevn tguohh eervy sglnie wrod is slepled iocenrtclry. The one cavaet is taht the frist and lsat lertets are pervresed in erevy wrod. Cidrgbame Uitesirnvy cetoudncd a sduty and fnuod taht the biarn deos not raed eevry snlige lteetr, but wodrs as a wohle.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:30 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Agreed... and you meant "texting", not "testing" right?
Edit done...But I'm blaming that error on trifocals

Quick Reply: OT: People, their money and how to write ads