Old 02-24-2011, 12:24 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Turbo WB cab

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-for-sale.html

The ebay ad is interesting to say the least.
OT, but another 'interesting' 911 for sale right now, on Hemmings.com:

No affiliation.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:31 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice car. A steal at the current bid. IMHO
Old 02-24-2011, 10:39 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by clubsport1
Come on guys....you can tell with 1 eye shut that is not an RS.....sunroof, wrong spoiler kit, lack of indicators in the fenders/wings, yet headlamp washers..RS were the 1st 993 variant to get varioram.
I could go on and on,,,I appreciate it may get a little dull, but best to avoid speculation this is an RS before this thread gets to be several pages long.......I am sure it will make a great track car for someone though.
Uh......................................................I think in post 3 I pointed out it was a US VIN car.

Originally Posted by curve lover
OT, but another 'interesting' 911 for sale right now, on Hemmings.com:

No affiliation.
Well THAT is certainly as OT as you can get, yet still stay within the confines of "993 For Sale". Though it kinda plays into my take--one for track, one for cruising.

Originally Posted by dave morris
Nice car. A steal at the current bid. IMHO
Where does it go? I'll say that while this car IS a stock class club racer with logbook (though they will never, ever, ever issue another logbook on a conversion car not done to 100%+ percent accuracy), would I rather have mine in the ~$40K range? Yes.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:49 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
this car has a sunroof..... did RS tub come with sunroof??

i cant see why this car would be considered a million dollar car when it is just a well used (on track at that) 993 carrera without # matching engine and has multiple owners??
Well if you add up the original cost, plus any work done on it as well as all the gas, oil, tires etc and well as the price you got each time it was sold......... still doesn't get close to a million......

Interesting add all round...
Old 02-24-2011, 10:50 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
I'll say that while this car IS a stock class club racer with logbook (though they will never, ever, ever issue another logbook on a conversion car not done to 100%+ percent accuracy), would I rather have mine in the ~$40K range? Yes.
Still baffles me how this car passed scruts.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:15 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race911
Where does it go? I'll say that while this car IS a stock class club racer with logbook (though they will never, ever, ever issue another logbook on a conversion car not done to 100%+ percent accuracy), would I rather have mine in the ~$40K range? Yes.
Where does it go? Good question. IMO it's worth more than the current $30100 bid. Fresh motor etc etc. The owner and his business partner are well known and highly regarded AFAIK in club racing circles. I'm not familiar with all the details of the car but I'm assuming it's current 'highest and best' use is still as a race car. But that market is terrible right now. I've never understood why people try to sell race cars on ebay but I think it's more an advertising vehicle then anything else. My guess is it will be pulled before it sells.

Don't understand your 'never, ever, ever' comment. Didn't the seller say it has a Stock I logbook? I don't doubt it.

I remember when your yellow car was for sale. Nice car.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:17 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AC993C2S
What do you find baffling?
Old 02-25-2011, 01:13 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by craig001
No affliatiion, no idea what it is worth or if it is everything the seller claims but interesting to say the least - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...fCarsQ5fTrucks
"over one million <what?> invested"?
certainly not $$$$$$$$

great marketing hype!
Old 02-25-2011, 09:10 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AC993C2S
Where does it go? Good question. IMO it's worth more than the current $30100 bid. Fresh motor etc etc. The owner and his business partner are well known and highly regarded AFAIK in club racing circles. I'm not familiar with all the details of the car but I'm assuming it's current 'highest and best' use is still as a race car. But that market is terrible right now. I've never understood why people try to sell race cars on ebay but I think it's more an advertising vehicle then anything else. My guess is it will be pulled before it sells.

Don't understand your 'never, ever, ever' comment. Didn't the seller say it has a Stock I logbook? I don't doubt it.

I remember when your yellow car was for sale. Nice car.
What do you find baffling?
Maybe this is just for us who've dealt with Club Racing (and if one of the stewards/someone with recent actual experience wants to correct me, go right ahead).............................BUT from what I know/observed..................................

Once upon a time there was this loophole in the Club Racing rules you could drive the whole lifetime of Porsche production through--updating/backdating/conversion cars. Why on earth they classified cars in "stock" like the 3.0 SCRS, 964RS, 993RS, etc. in any way, shape or form for a U.S. club always baffled me.

So I enter the scene in 2000 with my RSA. Hey, why is the RSA listed twice in either D or E depending merely on what it weighs? You can't take weight out of the cars. Legally. Oh, and there's this 964RS listed in D? Why can't you just take ~300 lbs out of a 964 and call it an RS? Well, that certainly gets around the "what's legal to modify issue." Many guys did just that. Or made replicas of non-U.S. cars, like the car here in question.

I guess what happened is that the poor scrutineers got tired of all the bitching from competitors claiming Car X was a Car Y conversion, but was missing A through ZZZZZ of what Car Y really was delivered with. Impossible to deal with at the track. Maybe in 2003-4 (?) word came down that the cars that had logbooks would be grandfathered. But if you wanted to show up in your U.S. VIN faux 993RS (for example), it better be correct down to the seam filler material used to attach the fenders, and the engine compartment decals.

And here we are, with how a U.S. VIN 993 can "be" an RS for club racing purposes, and have a logbook.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:18 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the background Ken. It explains a lot. I just know when I was building Smurf I thoroughly researched all this, and like you stated earlier - there is no way in hell this car would get a logbook today....not even close.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:47 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

2 hours to go and it's still at $30,100. Surprising.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:01 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

2 hours to go and it's still at $30,100. Surprising.
And at the 7 minute mark it's $35,100. I would have put a bid in for the hell of it in the $32-33K range, but it's now passed my interest level.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:22 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Apparently it sold at $36,300. I'd say somebody got a bargain.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:21 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Given what the 'ask' was on this car a year ago, yup, someone got a helluva bargain.

Quick Reply: 1995 993 RS on eBay