Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: San Diego hotel advice. (Updated with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 05:18 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts
Default OT: San Diego hotel advice. (Updated with pics)

I'll be in San Diego 2/26 and would like to know a nice place to stay. Any recommendations? I am going to the Big Three Swap Meet on Saturday and would like to spend the night in the outskirts of the "city". Something upscale and trendy would be nice. Prefer to stay at a major hotel (Marriott) if possible. I'll be up in the Irvine and Temecula area the rest of the weekend.

Last edited by JDHertz11; 03-01-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

There is a Residence Inn in La Jolla that I have stayed at that is pretty nice, I prefer that area to the Hotel Circle as it is a bit too congested there.

If you want to get a bit more remote, there are places on Coronado island, i.e. the Hotel Del and one other further south that I stayed at years ago, I can't recall if it was an Embassy Suites or something else, but it was very nice. just kind of far from everything.

depends on what you want to do and have access to.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:12 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

JD,

Staying in San Diego in March after a cycling trip. The San Diego Marriott Hotel and Marina on West Harbor Drive is nice - stayed there last year. Walking distance to Gaslamp. But, I think they are doing renovations so may not be the best choice. I am going to stay at the Coronado Island Marriott Restort and Spa instead. My research with locals gave it a good review. There is a water taxi that goes across the bay. Hope this helps.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:48 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey JD,

Last time I was in San DIego I stayed at the Hilton San Diego Resort, nice spot.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?um=1&ie=U...ed=0CC4QnwIwAQ
Old 02-15-2011, 06:58 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try to get some scalper tickets to the SDSU(6) vs. BYU(7) game. The student section alone will be worth the price of admission: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwvhoGAiwOQ

Edit: as far as actual hotels go, most of the nightlife is in the Gaslamp District, so that may prove to be convenient for you...
Old 02-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want something really grand and classic and with great history (like an aircooled Porsche ) than check out La Valencia Hotel in La Jolla. Right on the ocean, too.

http://www.lavalencia.com/

My great grandfather used to love the place back in the early 1930s.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:16 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 416 Posts

Four Seasons Aviara which is a little bit north in Carlsbad.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 246 Posts

I've stayed at the Ivy a couple of times - not bad if you get a quiet room, The Hard Rock is great for location, Hotel Solomar is also quite nice (Kimpton). The only other place I've stayed is just up the coast - Tower 21, which was pretty trendy.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:22 PM
samsnead
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a Marriott but the W is a decent spot-rooftop bar etc. walking distance to most things.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:07 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow! Lots to look into now. Anyone going to the swap meet?
Old 02-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Dowtown options - Andaz (was the Ivy now part of Hyatt Brand). When they opened as the Ivy rooms were $450 now half (depends on availability of course) and it's very nice, upscale, ammenities, location. The Hilton Mission Bay and the new Hilton Bayfront are both very nice also as is the Marriott Mission Valley and Downtown Waterfront. The Aviara resort in Carlsbad is actually now the Park Hyatt. Better value in the summer but since it's in North County much closer to where you're headed. The Omni is also very nice Dowtown and for trendy happening when the weather is nice Tower 23 in Pacific Beach is great. At this time of year there is a tremendous value at Paradise Point Resort. Half price rooms right on the sand on mission bay unlike anywhere else locally.

If you're up to spending the $$ (which at this time of year there are deals) then the two for sure go to's are Rancho Valencia and The Grand Del Mar http://www.ranchovalencia.com/ http://www.thegranddelmar.com/ Add in a meal at Addison at the Grand for an experience not soon forgotten. http://www.thegranddelmar.com/san-diego-dining-addison/

Have fun. This truly is paradise.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:03 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

really depends on what your idea of fun is...
--Downtown Gaslamp is upscale nightlife and busy with people. Near San Diego Bay, so that opens up waterfront activities. Bonus is you can take the trolley easily up to the stadium and avoid dealing with parking.
--La Jolla & Del Mar (in town near the beach) are upscale money areas, older population, more sedate. Del Mar I think has a bit more activity late at night.
--As flat-6 performance points out, the Grand & Rancho Valencia are your uber high end (Near Rancho Santa Fe, one of the most expensive zip codes in the nation). I've been to the club-M at the Grand, and it wasn't much excitement (ok, its very nice, but think CEO types in suits)
--Places around Mission Bay are more resort-y...think "take the family to the beach"
--Nurburger meant "Tower 23", not 21...he was thinking of the average age of the Pacific Beach Bar goer....
--Mission Valley (Hotel Circle) should be avoided unless you and your family are on a budget (kind of a soulless place that doesn't showcase anything good about SD). It is close to the stadium but nothing here is that far apart.

While you are here, it is required that you eat fish tacos. My favs are: South Beach Bar & Grille (hole in the wall type bar in Ocean Beach), Wahoo's Fish Tacos, Rubios... everyone here has their fav place.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:17 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
Wow! Lots to look into now. Anyone going to the swap meet?
curios to see what u pick up...
Old 02-16-2011, 10:09 AM
d-land
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
+1

-David
Old 02-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
My guess is something air cooled or having to do with.......

Quick Reply: OT: San Diego hotel advice. (Updated with pics)