993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: Politically Incorrect Porsche Joke

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by SOS
As a card carrying member of Beaver Lovers of America, Local #69, I find that commercial very offensive.

It is well known that North American beavers are not agressive to humans...unless you are in the water taking apart their dam.

They are sensitive creatures trying to overcome the anti social riducule of their pronounced overbite.

I intend to personally boycott the consumption of any and all Canadian product's.

Molson, Labatt's, Canadian Bacon, Large furry hats, and any John Candy re runs. Tastless humor about Muslims, Jews, Blacks, whites, Italians, Brt's, and rednecks, are fine. However, I insist we draw the line at web footed tail slapping, tree chewing North American beavers.

You people disgust me.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:39 PM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SOS
SOS, that's the final straw. No Stanley Cup for the Canucks this year!

Go Canes! Trying to get into the playoffs anyway
Old 02-12-2011, 04:59 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

"This has nothing to do with "wounding" me. That's simply another excuse to avoid the whole debate about stereotyping other people."

Avoiding the debate? I'd say we're confronting this head-on.

"All Muslims are not terrorists. Yes, you and I know that. But to make a joke that implies they are terrorists works to instill in people's minds that indeed Muslims are terrorists and that they are less than human."

Are you implying that the joke I posted would have the power to turn someone who was heretofore a tolerant person into a vehement racist?

"And why didn't you use "al-Qaeda" instead of "Muslims" in the joke? That would have been specific."

I thought this was apparent, but maybe not: I didn't write the joke. Also note, I chose not to post the more mean-spirited jokes in that e-mail list. As I stated in my first post, someone sent it to me. I posted it here because it was a Porsche joke.

"And yeah, I'd say Martin and Rickles were probably bigoted."

Well, this is something I'm somewhat of an authority on, so let me disabuse you of your misguided belief.

Don Rickles was my neighbor growing up. His daughter Mindy and I were schoolmates. I can attest firsthand that Mr. Rickles is a sweet and lovely man. About the furthest thing from a racist. As for Dean Martin, you may recall he was great pals with Sammy Davis, Jr. at a time when fraternizing with other races was somewhat taboo. Not exactly the sort of actions a bigot would undertake.

"It's why fart jokes or scat jokes are considered funny by kids. "

This may come as a shock, but some folks find fart/scat jokes funny who aren't kids.

"Young kids are extremely impressionable."

Somehow, I imagine there are very few under 16 year old 993 owners on here. And even if they were, I'd imagine most would understand it's just a joke.

"And once again, I simply say what's the point in keeping these sorts of jokes alive? Clever humor is good humor. Witty humor is funny."

Some people find different things funny. Some here have found the joke I posted to be witty and clever. Who am I to arbiter others' tastes?

"Are you offending me? No. But I still do not get get the point of racist jokes. And yes, they are racist. Because they believe that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race."

I would argue that it's not racist. I would also argue that stereotypes exist because they often carry an element of truth.

"Stereotypes can have a negative and positive impact on individuals. Stereotyping is part of being human."

Exactly. So since you cannot possibly end it, why try and do so? Censorship is not the answer. Don't hide it under the rug, bring it out for all to see.

Although I respect your point of view and intelligence greatly, methinks you'd not be much fun at Mr. Rickles house for a cocktail party. Too bad; you don't know what you're missing. Every person of color seems to have a good time there and be able to laugh at themselves. Why couldn't you?

OK I've had enough. Believe it or not, I'm headed to the beach, and not a KKK rally. Have a terrific weekend.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Goofball, you're simply missing my point. So let's just let it go. Okay?

I'm quite humorous and actually the highlight at parties, btw. Just as I may not know Don Rickles personally, you don't know me either.

Cheers.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:51 PM
greenshoe
Intermediate

Goofball, you don't get it.

Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy made fun of white people, but the sting won't be anywhere as strong as Sam Kinison doing ni##er jokes.

If the western world had a power dynamic where whites weren't at the top of the food chain, it would be a different story.

Put it this way. Its far less likely to be offensive for a female comic to tell man hating jokes than a male comic telling woman hating jokes. They both could be funny, but the former is far less likely to be offensive than the latter. Why? Context. It was a man's world for a long time, and that comes into play. Of course, this is all fluid and will change with our grandchildren.

Same with racial stuff. Its been a white man's world for the past 400+ years. And it still is, though its changing quite rapidly.

And to be honest, the "take a joke, have a laugh" refrain when it comes to these things almost always invariably comes from white males. As for why that is, google "white privilege" - it's easy to call someone "sensitive" when one isnt as aware of his own race because they never had to grow up being reminded of what makes them different.

You can say all you want about people being too sensitive, but that assumes you are "normal".

For every one who says "have a laugh", the offended calling you callous and insensitive is just as valid.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:03 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Someone pass the... and
Old 02-12-2011, 06:17 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Warning! Don't you read this. It might offend you.

Originally Posted by trophy
Someone pass the... and

From the BBC
- Read by John Cleese

The English are feeling the pinch related to recent terrorist threats & have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved." Soon, the levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross."

The English have not been "A Bit Cross" since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies nearly ran out. Terrorists have been re-categorized from "Tiresome" to "A Bloody Nuisance." The last time the British issued a "BloodyNuisance" warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots have raised their threat level from "Pissed Off" to "Let's get the Bastards."

They don't have any other levels. This is the reason they've been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.

The French announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide." The only 2 higherlevels in France are "Collaborate" & "Surrender." The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the country's military capability.

Italy has increased the alert level from "Shout Loudly & Excitedly" to "Elaborate Military Posturing." 2 more levels remain: "Ineffective Combat Operations" & "Change Sides."

The Germans have increased their alert state from "Disdainful Arrogance" to "Dress in Uniform & Sing Marching Songs." They also have 2 higher levels: "Invade a Neighbor" & "Kick Butt."

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual; the only threat they're worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.

The Spanish are excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:23 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You forgot this one.....

Australia , meanwhile, has raised its security level from "No worries" to "She'll be alright, Mate." Three more escalation levels remain: "Crikey!", "I think we'll need to cancel the barbie this weekend", and "The barbie is cancelled."
Old 02-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Those are much more clever and poke fun at oneself and at other Europeans, and not specifically at minorities. And they have truly historical stereotyping references, rather than crude generalizations. They aren't meant to invoke fear or hatred in certain people. And they don't serve to try to keep minorities "in their place." And that is a big difference.

These, on the other hand, are totally juvenile and offensive to the people they're directed towards.
https://rennlist.com/forums/8293128-post2.html
Old 02-12-2011, 07:33 PM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't mind if some find "politically incorrect" jokes amusing. What I object to is posting them in what I thought was supposed to be a "technical" forum about 993s. The jokes and the ensuing comments should have been in OT. That's why I don't participate in OT.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:11 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Canyon56
Goofball, you're simply missing my point. So let's just let it go. Okay?

I'm quite humorous and actually the highlight at parties, btw. Just as I may not know Don Rickles personally, you don't know me either.

Cheers.
Canyon, I understand your point, but really, you just made my point.

You see, no, you don't know Don Rickles. Just as I don't know you. And yet, you felt it was OK to say you thought he was probably a bigot, even though you've never met the man. But he's not a bigot. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Now, one could make a strong argument that that's a form of being prejudiced. Prejudiced is to pre-judge. That's where the word comes from. To pre-judge without knowledge. To me, to be prejudiced against someone you don't know and yet feel OK to attach slanderous labels to is a form of bigotry. No better than my silly joke, anyway. So you see, it's all how you decide to cut the cucumber.

I am aware you're not the only person in the world who can get offended by a dumb joke. We live in PC conformists times. I meet many who gladly fall in line. So I do get your point there. I don't agree with it, but I get it.

But the idea that it's racist to re-post an off-color Porsche joke, but being prejudiced against others you don't know, and attach vicious and slanderous labels that are totally false is OK; that seems to be more than a little contradictory, no?

To me, they are one and the same.

Further, if we're all equal, and we all are, then I'd imagine there's no dispensation needed to Europeans or anyone else when it comes to off-color jokes. We are all equal. We can all take a dumb joke.

And if we can't take a joke? You know what to do if they can't take a joke, right?
Old 02-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

enough of all this..isn't any other beaver lovers out there gonna back me up on this?

I am outraged!legal beverage in hand
Old 02-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll back you up. This whole topic has been discussed to the point of ad nauseum. Can't we all just get along? And there was no intentional reference to the African American community
Old 02-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Augustus Davies

[QUOTE=goofballdeluxe;8293392]

Every race and creed has stereotypes attached to them. I'm Italian

That's okay goofball....nobody's perfect.......
Old 02-12-2011, 10:05 PM
C2Cab95
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the random YT thread...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFDxw...layer_embedded

Quick Reply: OT: Politically Incorrect Porsche Joke