Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How do I turn off the light in the trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 04:09 AM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macca
GR8330 wins the prize. The factory showed me how to do this when I bought the Porsche Inteligent Charger. Close the li on the wire were the corner of te hod is (ruber seal turns a corner - has plenty of bunched and loose rubber there) and it doesnt damage the lead. At keast it hasnt in the 5 years Ive had the charger.......siple. No messing with wires fuses or bulb LOL!
I would not do that. I would probably end up driving off with the wires still connected to the car! Actually that's possible with the bonnet ajar.

Which is why I disconnect the battery.

I now realise that this not an option for some of you because of the smog testing which resets your cel smog ready stuff, (or something).
Old 01-28-2011, 08:03 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dude - on that basis you'd make me nervous in a self service gas station (driving away with the nossle still in the tank)! :-)
Old 01-28-2011, 08:37 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This could possibly be another headlight switch bulb changing thread

Mike
Old 01-28-2011, 10:19 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 272 Posts

Mike, you are correct about basic electricity, however, there are a couple of things that bear mentioning. First of all, just because the charger goes "green", don't assume that a drain isn't occurring. It's just that the charger is charging at a greater rate than the drain. Next, all I can tell you is that when I was diagnosing the problem with the microswitch, I used an ammeter in series with the battery. Even with the lamp removed, there was a drain...until the microswitch was closed. I have a hunch that there's a timer circuit or some other device that stays activated until it assumes the trunk lid is closed. Personally, I attach my charger via the cigarette lighter receptacle, thereby avoiding the hassle while still retaining my trunk light.
p.s.: Congrats on the cab! It's a beauty!
Old 01-28-2011, 10:36 AM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I use the same approach as that described by RSR91128. It is fast and easy.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macca
Dude - on that basis you'd make me nervous in a self service gas station (driving away with the nossle still in the tank)! :-)
Lol. I have gone off on my bicycle still chained to the post!!!
Old 01-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Mike, you are correct about basic electricity, however, there are a couple of things that bear mentioning. First of all, just because the charger goes "green", don't assume that a drain isn't occurring. It's just that the charger is charging at a greater rate than the drain. Next, all I can tell you is that when I was diagnosing the problem with the microswitch, I used an ammeter in series with the battery. Even with the lamp removed, there was a drain...until the microswitch was closed. I have a hunch that there's a timer circuit or some other device that stays activated until it assumes the trunk lid is closed. Personally, I attach my charger via the cigarette lighter receptacle, thereby avoiding the hassle while still retaining my trunk light.
p.s.: Congrats on the cab! It's a beauty!
Thanks for the clarification Mr. TRACKRAT. I miss not having my interior lights. I am going to look for a way to run the leads from the battery to the inside of the car or a safe place behind the bumper or something. That way I can keep everything functioning properly. Deltran does make the extension for this as an accessory. I had a PORSCHE battery charger that used the cigarette lighter I just hated running the cord out the window. I am glad to have the Rivi Blue Cab back.

Mike
Old 01-28-2011, 11:32 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

engine cover on or off?
Old 01-28-2011, 11:42 AM
randytrish
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car seems to act a little different than what's being discribed in this post. My trunk light is in sequence with my interior lights, meaning that when the interior light timer cuts off after closing the door the trunk light will go out and stay out reguardless of how long the trunk is open. I found this to be annoying when I needed to do something in there and the light would go out, say 15 seconds after the door was closed. I leave my interior lights set on the door position. I can leave the hood open as long as I like and no light unless the door is open and the interior light is on.
Randy
Old 01-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I pull the bulb on my 95. On the 97 the light goes off on it's own after a couple of minutes.

My Ctek charger just plugs into my lighter socket, this way the trunk stays closed, & I just pass the cable through the passenger side window.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:36 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Arena993
I am not an electrical expert by any stretch of the imagination, but once the bulb is removed wouldn't that stop the drain on the battery if there is nothing to illuminate?
Mike
But the real question is when the trunk is shut, does the light go out? Maybe someone can put a video camera in the trunk and close it to be sure.

Mine is a 97 but it does not "time-out" - ask me how I know. I usually leave the trunk ajar and flip the latch. I just cringe at the thought of trying to close the trunk after forgetting to reset the latch.

The wire comes out just fine with the trunk closed, but I have an aversion to that. Luckily I have to walk in front of the car before getting in it so i see the wire.

I just bought a CTEK charger and will hook it up this weekend.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:19 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul K
My switch must be in need of adjustment. Light is still on when I lose sight of it as the trunk lid closes.

Maybe that's why my battery was dead...
Try closing the latch with the hood open. The light does not go out until the
latch clicks closed.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:27 PM
diveroger
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 89 Carrera seems to be missing something from front hood light. There is a 3rd hot wire not connected to anything. Light does not go off when hood is closed. Any ideas?
Old 11-18-2014, 06:55 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul K
All:

I had to leave the hood open all day because the battery was on charge. How do I turn the light off? Tried to find the little button, to no avail. Couldn't even find a connector to disconnect.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Paul.
I can charge the car's battery enough to start it with a generic one amp float charger & adapted to plug into the cigarette lighter. No doors or lids need be open so lights are not an issue.

Andy :-)
Old 11-18-2014, 09:41 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jnicol
You can also just pull out the fuse. I believe it is #11. 7.5 A for interior lights.
Thank you...I was waiting for someone to mention the obvious

My switch must be in need of adjustment. Light is still on when I lose sight of it as the trunk lid closes.

Maybe that's why my battery was dead...

A likely possibility...

Quick Reply: How do I turn off the light in the trunk?