993 Forum 1995-1998

Rust Prevention

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:18 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Rust Prevention

Cleaning and misc work. Took off front signal and fog assemblies. Rubber plug between the two is held on by 2 nuts. Seems like that area gets trash behind it. Passenger side pristine, Drivers side, nuts were rusted on bracket. After working them off, slowly, found a lot of debris on the bracket. Cleaned and reassembled, an area to keep an eye on.

If I had twisted one of the studs off, I think replacement of the bracket is a bumper off/ few hour job.

On another note, need to replace windshield washer gaskets, turned all gummy and tar like! Is it still available from the dealer seperately?
Old 01-20-2011, 11:26 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, once a year (usually in March.) I take out the headlights, the foglights, the signal-lights etc. and thoroughly wash/clean 'behind' them.
Then spritz the electrical connectors with WD-40 and re-assemble. The various screws/washers get the once over too.
The 'crud' that accumualtes 'in the back' can leave you scratching your head.
A good opportunity to keep an eye on potential rust -- though I've never found any other than the washers/screws looking a bit 'orange' and 'ratty'. (Nothing a Brillo Pad won't cure.)

Gerry

Quick Reply: Rust Prevention