993 Forum 1995-1998

993 colour change- opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 09:22 AM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 colour change- opinions

I have just ordered the RS kit from GT3 Tek and will be doing a respray of my 993 before installation. My question is this- I am very tempted, since I will be doing a full respray anyway, to go with a colour other than the original (black). Have any of you guys done this, and how big a sin is it to do this? I realize it will most likely take something away from resale value by moving from the original colour, but I'm going to keep this car for a long, long time so I'm not overly worried about that. Thoughts?
Old 01-13-2011, 10:10 AM
firesm
Pro

Imho, The cost involved to do a colour change properly - which to me would include the trunk and engine compartment, and removal of all of the equipment in those areas - just wouldn't make it worth while. It would probably be better in the long run to sell your car and find one in the colour you want. The colour change, unless it was being done by 9m or someone that goes to their level of detail, would most likely be a negative to 99% of buyers. What colour were you thinking?
Old 01-13-2011, 10:17 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I definitely wouldn't change the color, especially if you intend to sell the car in the semi near future. Color changes greatly affect resale value.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:29 AM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by firesm
Imho, The cost involved to do a colour change properly - which to me would include the trunk and engine compartment, and removal of all of the equipment in those areas - just wouldn't make it worth while. It would probably be better in the long run to sell your car and find one in the colour you want. The colour change, unless it was being done by 9m or someone that goes to their level of detail, would most likely be a negative to 99% of buyers. What colour were you thinking?

I haven't decided on a colour, but I'm partial to silver, blue and yellow. One consideration is that the interior is black, which would limit the options to certain colours anyway.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:50 AM
firesm
Pro

Originally Posted by pickering993
I haven't decided on a colour, but I'm partial to silver, blue and yellow. One consideration is that the interior is black, which would limit the options to certain colours anyway.
I would think that a black interior would give you the most options for exterior colour than any other interior colour would. Which exteriors do you think wouldn't look good with a black interior?
Old 01-13-2011, 11:48 AM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

if you decide to do this, do not forget to take a lot of detailed
'before and during' pics so that if you do sell, you can reasonably
convince a buyer it was not a salvage job. (er..unless of course it is.)
Old 01-13-2011, 12:16 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by firesm
I would think that a black interior would give you the most options for exterior colour than any other interior colour would. Which exteriors do you think wouldn't look good with a black interior?

I didn't mean that black wouldn't work, just that some colour combinations would work better. For instance, if I went with arena red exterior, my preference would be for a tan interior as opposed to black.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:34 PM
firesm
Pro

I didn't mean that black wouldn't work, just that some colour combinations would work better. For instance, if I went with arena red exterior, my preference would be for a tan interior as opposed to black.
Ah, I see. I guess I'm just one of those boring people who thinks a black interior looks better no matter what the exterior colours are - that's not to say I don't like some other interiors - just that my favourite and probably the only one I'll ever own is black. It sounds to me like you have the same problem we all have here - wanting to own more than one 993 - I think most people make due with having more than one set of rims (I have three)...
Old 01-13-2011, 12:44 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To assist you down the slope, why not replace the top with a sun roof delete if your going to repaint!

Silver, blue or yellow is an available color. I would sell and find one this color.
It will be less expensive and hold value better.

If you wanted to do an off the chart color, I would go for it! green, orange, etc.

I think black RS types look great btw.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:45 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Arena looks great with black interior!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:53 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Okay, I'm definitely not out to offend anyone, just giving my personal preferences......
Old 01-13-2011, 01:55 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

imo, since the color you would respray to is commonly available, then don't do it.
if your respray is a move to a "special color" you love, then do it and don't look back.

craig

hmmmmmmmm actually, i think you should change to your color to whatever you like. i suspect the please you derive from having a car the color you love is more important than $$$$$, i'd count on a 15% - 20% reduction in value for a color change
Old 01-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,803 Likes on 1,713 Posts

I've considered doing a color change before but I was in love with a color that was not available for the 993. I just had to have it and the paint on my car was tired. You're not even sure what color you want. Black is one of the most beautiful colors on the 993. Keep it as is. For reference, doing a semi-proper job (without engine or gas tank removal) will set you back $10-15k.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:07 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO buy a good 993 with a salvage title and then do whatever you want , it is not going to hinder the resale as much if at all .

Cheers Guy
Old 01-13-2011, 02:11 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input......basically leave it alone, unless I plan to go to a custom colour.....makes sense. Here she is at present- most of the paint issues are (not surprisingly) on the front end.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 993 colour change- opinions