Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   New Sport Seats?? Porsche Classic Program (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/608670-new-sport-seats-porsche-classic-program.html)

Damien Lewis 12-29-2010 12:01 PM

New Sport Seats?? Porsche Classic Program
 
I have been reading quite a bit about Porsche's new "Classic" auto-repair/restoration center at the factory in Germany. They are currently restoring a classic 911 for the PCA (Porsche Club of America) to sell raffle tickets to raise money and give one lucky winner a truly "new" classic Porsche.

So...the Porsche Classic Center is dedicated to providing Porsche owners (from 356 to 993) every imaginable restoration and replacement part that would have and could have come on these vehicles in addition to being able to restore and repair to factory standards any 356-993 vehicle. In their videos and web-info - they (their engineers) state that they stock or can make (from original factory molds) virtually any Porsche part ever produced.

It now begs the question - since they are in such high demand and quite rare - can Porsche Classic produce new 993 Sport Seats? And if so, what would the pricing be? And....if so, if a car that had factory Sport Seats in it were stolen, would an insurance company have to source the seats directly from Porsche?

With the prices of Sport Seats approaching $5k in some cases, I have to imagine that purchasing them directly from Porsche would likely be a little cheaper - or a little more money - but you would get brand-spankin'-new Sport Seats with the custom options YOU want for your car - ie: heat, Porsche crest embossed, power, etc.

Has anyone thought to ask about this? If so, what were the results...if not, is this an option for those folks who want (and possibly need) Sport Seats?

Damien

Falcondrivr 12-29-2010 12:29 PM

Interesting question. The only problem I see is that the seats were likely not made by Porsche...So the vendor would have had to have kept the tooling.

jaa1 12-29-2010 12:34 PM

I'm fairly certain you can walk into your dealer right now, go to the parts department, and order 993 sports seats in whatever color / options you want. They might only sell it in pieces, and you would have to pay someone to put it together.. (this is the case with 997 sports seats, which are 5k+ for each seat)

jaa1 12-29-2010 12:41 PM

WOW, just looked up the in the parts catalog.. here is the part # for 993 sports seats:

993 521 017 13

993 521 017 14 - heated seat

List is $10,000 + for each seat..

If someone stole the sports seats out of your car as mentioned above, insurance might total loss it..

AOW162435 12-29-2010 01:04 PM

There's a company somewhere in the NW that advertises they're expertise in converting regular 993 seats into sport seats. This involves frame work, foam inserts, new leather, etc. Probably worth looking in to.


Andreas

Falcondrivr 12-29-2010 05:27 PM


Originally Posted by jaa1 (Post 8167578)
WOW, just looked up the in the parts catalog.. here is the part # for 993 sports seats:

993 521 017 13

993 521 017 14 - heated seat

List is $10,000 + for each seat..

If someone stole the sports seats out of your car as mentioned above, insurance might total loss it..

That means Sunset would be $5,900!
Group buy?

Ed Hughes 12-29-2010 06:08 PM

I'm wondering if Paul Champagne could conjure up sports (at least the "old style" with deep bolsters)....Sure the Ostrich is not for everyone, but I've seen leather seats he's done, and the work is first class. He can even laser etch Porsche or the Pascha design as well into the fabric.

http://www.designpaulchampagne.com/PorscheLeather.html

http://www.designpaulchampagne.com/928Seats.html
(click on some of these)

C4SJOHN 12-29-2010 07:44 PM

$ 10,000.00 for each seat, or even at Sunset's Porsche price of $6,000 each. I may need to rethink the value of my 993 C4S. :-)

vjd3 12-29-2010 11:45 PM

They've always been stupid expensive new from Porsche ... and I'll bet the regular "comfort" seat costs a mint, too. I think they were made by Recaro; when I sold a set a few years back (the guards red piping was a bit much for my taste), I remember finding a Recaro tag underneath.

600RR 12-30-2010 12:15 AM

These were about $4,500 starting with comfort seats and adding new upper frames, foam, hardbacks, and leather:
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...j/DSC00671.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...j/DSC00680.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...j/DSC00681.jpg

Damien Lewis 12-30-2010 03:53 AM

Wow...that's nuts - $10k EACH! Wow...I guess that puts things into a crazy perspective when comparing them to the prices that LA Porsche Dismantler charges....or, they simply seem like a bargain at $4500 in comparison.

It's almost worth buying a car just for the seats, swapping them out and then resell the car!!

Damien

mrsullivan 12-30-2010 09:26 AM


Originally Posted by 600RR (Post 8169286)
These were about $4,500 starting with comfort seats and adding new upper frames, foam, hardbacks, and leather:
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...j/DSC00671.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...j/DSC00680.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...j/DSC00681.jpg

Um..... Much more info and pics please....!

justin993 12-30-2010 11:11 AM


Originally Posted by AOW162435 (Post 8167625)
There's a company somewhere in the NW that advertises they're expertise in converting regular 993 seats into sport seats. This involves frame work, foam inserts, new leather, etc. Probably worth looking in to.


Andreas

I wonder if converting soft backs to soft back sports can be done

justin993 12-30-2010 11:14 AM


Originally Posted by jaa1 (Post 8167578)
WOW, just looked up the in the parts catalog.. here is the part # for 993 sports seats:

993 521 017 13

993 521 017 14 - heated seat

List is $10,000 + for each seat..

If someone stole the sports seats out of your car as mentioned above, insurance might total loss it..

we are talking down payment on a rental property kind of $$,$$$.

mcipseric 12-30-2010 01:11 PM


Originally Posted by jaa1 (Post 8167555)
I'm fairly certain you can walk into your dealer right now, go to the parts department, and order 993 sports seats in whatever color / options you want. They might only sell it in pieces, and you would have to pay someone to put it together.. (this is the case with 997 sports seats, which are 5k+ for each seat)

I tried last year. The parts are not available at any price from the dealer.......


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 10:12 PM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands