New Sport Seats?? Porsche Classic Program

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 02:38 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justin993
I wonder if converting soft backs to soft back sports can be done
That is exactly what I have done with the seats in my white cab . IMHO they are far more practical then the hard backs especially when doing " spirited " driving
You can see pictures of the seats in this old photo shoot links http://www.emeraldapple.com/Emerald_...orsche.html#29 since those pictures I have installed a three spoke steering wheel with leather air bag and built a custom rear seat delete .

Cheers Guy
Old 12-30-2010, 03:14 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

So, how was this conversion done? Replace the entire back?
Old 12-30-2010, 11:04 PM
nsully
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Link to Heritage. They do the "sport seat conversion"
This would be my choice.
Neil

http://www.heritagetrim.com/models993.htm
Old 12-31-2010, 12:44 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nsully
Link to Heritage. They do the "sport seat conversion"
This would be my choice.
Neil

http://www.heritagetrim.com/models993.htm
A big thumps down for Heritage ( not only my opinion ) . He reminds me of that steering guy Alan Gunn at ALGA

That is who I originally went to . If you only knew how long I had a one seat car for and then the end result . When I pick up the seats I could not believe how bad the job was and to this day I have never returned or spoken to Tony ( owner ) I figured if he was ok to hand the seats over to me the way they were and take $2500 there was no way he could or would make it right . the leather was sewn ****ty , the leather was different shades of blue and pieces had tears around where the power switches are , just a total mess . I had wasted enough time and money I moved on .

I took the seats apart and found they had even wired the new seat heaters wrong I redid the 3/8 rods that had been welded in the bolsters frame and then brought the seat to Lou , the shop that does my cab top and upholstery and paid him $1600 to put the right foam and reupholster the seats right .

Total cost end up being $3100

Cheers Guy
Old 12-31-2010, 12:51 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm telling you, if someone wants to do this, contact Paul Champagne, who I posted above. The guy is an artist with Porsche leather seats....
Old 12-31-2010, 01:10 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

A friend also had trouble with a well known leather/interior shop and their effed up business practices. What is with these businesses going down the ****ter these days?
Old 12-31-2010, 01:15 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by briefescape
A big thumps down for Heritage ( not only my opinion ) . He reminds me of that steering guy Alan Gunn at ALGA

That is who I originally went to . If you only knew how long I had a one seat car for and then the end result . When I pick up the seats I could not believe how bad the job was and to this day I have never returned or spoken to Tony ( owner ) I figured if he was ok to hand the seats over to me the way they were and take $2500 there was no way he could or would make it right . the leather was sewn ****ty , the leather was different shades of blue and pieces had tears around where the power switches are , just a total mess . I had wasted enough time and money I moved on .

I took the seats apart and found they had even wired the new seat heaters wrong I redid the 3/8 rods that had been welded in the bolsters frame and then brought the seat to Lou , the shop that does my cab top and upholstery and paid him $1600 to put the right foam and reupholster the seats right .

Total cost end up being $3100

Cheers Guy
Yeah, I saw this with Guy, it was not good. Guy was pretty steamed!! Very high recommendations for Lou at Pacific Auto Trim here in Vancouver, very straight guy and great work. Lou was talking about retiring, but it looks like the staff there are very good, so it should continue. I have also had work done there for my previous two cars, very happy with the product.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-31-2010, 11:54 AM
nsully
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So I guess Heritage wouldn't be my choice- nice idea though.

Ryan is dead on, almost impossible to find real craftsman anymore. Someone who takes pride in doing something well.

Interested to know if just the metal bolster supports are available from Porsche?

Neil
Old 12-31-2010, 12:52 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
A friend also had trouble with a well known leather/interior shop and their effed up business practices. What is with these businesses going down the ****ter these days?
I am surprised this hasn't surfaced on Rennlist yet. You buddy's story would have sent me into a continuous, low-earth orbit.

Originally Posted by nsully
Ryan is dead on, almost impossible to find real craftsman anymore. Someone who takes pride in doing something well.
Did you forget about that fused breaker I made for you?

Andreas
Old 05-18-2011, 09:50 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 93 Posts

Anybody have any luck converting the standard seat to sport seat (soft back)?
Old 05-18-2011, 11:21 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

IMO converting comfort seats to sport seats is a bit like putting 993 fenders on a long hood. It may look like a 993 buy it isn't. And it couldn't be called a long hood to 993 conversion.

The sport seat structure is completely different. You may be able to weld rods onto the comfort seat structure to support the bolsters but they still are not sport seats.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:12 AM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my 85 M491 seats converted to sport seats by heritage . I have had them for 2 years and they have held up well . The leather he sent me at first was not of great quality and I had to direct him to the right source to find the quality I wanted. I think he did an excellent job doing the seat frame concersion but have a few areas where the stitching is a touch wavey. The rest seams first class. I think it cost me $1250.00 per seat plus shipping. It was not fast turnaround.
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2011, 01:24 AM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

Here is another picture. You can see a few imperfect spots on the drivers side. The passangers side is almost perfect. The photo actually makes it look worse than it is to the eye. The shade looks lighter in the picture but actually looks almost perfect to the eye. He did do a good job matching the dye lot. The seams and perforations are correct. The piping was on the original but wish I had left it off. I would say 8.5 out of ten to the naked eye. So it can be done.
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2011, 01:35 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

If I spent $2500+ to have existing seats redone, I would demand perfection. Judging by the pics, Heritage fell short of that....

I'm glad you're happy with them, as that's all that matters in the end.

Andreas
Old 05-19-2011, 10:35 AM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

I would not exactly say I was pleased with them but I wasn't about to ship them across the country to have them re-done. It took forever to get them back in the first place. I would not go back to Heritage. I was just making the point that changing a comfort seat to a sport set is quite possible.

Quick Reply: New Sport Seats?? Porsche Classic Program