Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Help? Clutch vent pipe removal - add filter...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 02:16 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Help? Clutch vent pipe removal - add filter...

Hi Gents,

Im looking to remove the clutch ventilation pipe from my airbox. Infact as per another thread Im thinking of going back to a double cone filter (another story).

I would like to consider two options:

a). Remove rubber clutch vent arm (the piece that goes into the factory airbox to vent the clutch) and replace with a small airfilter clamped directly to the alloy pipe inside the engine bay.

b). Remove the entire rubber pipe, the alloy pipe as well all the way back to the rubber pipe exting the side of the clutch bell.

Option B is my preference.

I have a couple of small K&N filters linded up on ebay (pictures attached) but I also need to know the answe to two questions first:

1). What is the outside diamter of the alloy clutch breather pipe that the rubber "arm" attached to? 40mm or 45mm?

2). Can the alloy pipe be removed while the engine is in the car and can a filter be clamped onto the rubber hose exiting the clutch again when the engine and clutch/gearbox is in the car???

Ive attached a few pics to help visualise. I should have done this when my engine was out!

Thanks in advance. Appreciate any help???

Cheers
M
Attached Images    
Old 10-31-2010, 02:58 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't over-think this. I removed this ridiculous thing from my car many years/miles ago with no ill effects. I simply removed the metal pipe and rubber hose that connects to the airbox. I left the flexible hose on the bell housing pointing down. No need to add a filter. You can do all this rather easily with the engine in the car.

I also replaced the engine tin where the metal pipe attaches with one from a tip car (no hole for the pipe).

Cheers,
Joe
Old 10-31-2010, 03:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hey Joe. Good point. I do tend to overthink things! You have answered my second question which is great. Sounds like it can be done in situ! I wonder if the alloy engine tray plate can be replaced with the tip one without the hole cut into it while the negine is still in the car? Maybe Im over doing it again LOL!

Cheers
M
Old 10-31-2010, 03:07 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Hey Joe. Good point. I do tend to overthink things! You have answered my second question which is great. Sounds like it can be done in situ! I wonder if the alloy engine tray plate can be replaced with the tip one without the hole cut into it while the negine is still in the car? Maybe Im over doing it again LOL!

Cheers
M
No worries. You can do everything with the engine in the car

Cheers,
Joe
Old 10-31-2010, 03:11 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Great to know! Thats the way Ill likely go...

Would still be handy to know diameter of tube anyone?

Cheers
M
Old 10-31-2010, 06:44 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...e-it-with.html
Old 10-31-2010, 06:49 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Coleman. I did an extensive search of Rennlist before I posted this and I did find this thread. Unfortunately TheotherEric wasnt sure if 45 or 40mm. Porsche PET says rubber pipe from clutch side is 41.5mm but doesnt say if inside or outside diameter. I thik what Ill do is simply remove the rubber pipe from the clutch bell and use some race mesh to make a cover and leave it like that....

Cheers
M
Old 01-29-2011, 05:47 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

What is point of removing this?
Old 01-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts

weight reduction, I'm sure there is at least +23 hp to be gained..
Old 01-29-2011, 06:11 PM
nsully
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have done this same DIY. Took it a step further. Picked up a piece of duct (hose) and ran it down and in between the crossmember and sway bar. Have no idea if the hose is beneficial, just another case of 993 overkill.
Neil

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/scat.php
Old 01-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Primarily weight reduction. Approx. 4lb including all hardware. Secondly asthetic. It remnoves the unslightly rubber tube thats supposed to mate with the airbox lid on a 6spd car. Getting rid of teh airbox and filer is another 4.5lb

I removed this because going with a dual cone filter I no longer had provision for the clutch tube nore anywhere to put it (bar leaving it hanging in open space). After researching thsi extensively I removed all hardware, replace tinware with tipo side tinware (which diesnt have the hole) then made a brass mesh to go over the breather exit on the gearbox casing. I basically copied what others had done here and what I saw on a 993 Cup car in the work shop. My mechanic is more than happy that this will do the job fine - as he pointed out the 964 gearboxes didnt even have the clutch vent system and they seem to hold up just fine. Mine still exists but it now uses the roational airflow caused by the clutch to push the air out the side mounted exit point rather than negative pressure to draw the air and particles up the long (2.5 foot+) biping and ducting system that was in place....

Cheers
M
Old 01-29-2011, 11:13 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 299 Posts

Mecca and I are on the same wave length.
I also removed the hoses. See pictures.

I also had the new engine tin power coated.

Will post final pictures when finished.

Kevin
Attached Images   
Old 01-29-2011, 11:28 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No need for a filter as it works on vaccum from the motor.

This system is used to prevent premature T/O bearing failure before the end of the discs life.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:37 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 272 Posts

Suggestion: It's easier to get to the rearmost 10mm bolt that holds the tube to the RH engine tin from above. Just pry back the rubber seal and hold it back with a small block of wood while you back out the bolt. I used a Snap-On box end S-wrench.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:06 PM
sfl993t4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to do this to my 993 turbo (due to a new filter set-up). Does anyone know if its the same process, or have a list of bits that can and can't be removed?

Quick Reply: Help? Clutch vent pipe removal - add filter...