Sponsored by:

Red (& 28 Other Colors) Seat Belts DIY for Under $70

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 01:15 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
I am glad I posted before I finished. Thanks for pointing out the obvious; I had tunnel vision.

See, I haven't lost my head.
Chuck, obviously you have saved a fortune from not needing therapy .. How is it that you're so grounded?? I need a big dose of that.

I just stumbled on this disclaimer/warning from the 'gotbelts' website. I do know that many upholstery shops do this type of work routinely. I wonder what the average charge is if you bring in your car and the web material and have them do it?

"WARNING!!! DO NOT attempt to sew or assemble seat belts unless you are a qualified manufacturer. Manufacturing seat belts requires very specialized assembly skills, thread type, sewing machines and knowledge of federal standards. If you do not possess all the equipment, skills and training necessary to manufacture a seat belt, please do not attempt to: repair, re-web, restore, upgrade, alter or build one yourself. Failure to follow this warning could result in serious injury or death in the event of a crash."
Old 10-16-2010, 02:41 PM
jaa1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RutgersU, major points for referencing that thread!!

Originally Posted by RutgersU
So you are still alive. Why did you run off after posting that you bought the turbo S when everyone asked for pics?
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...-for-sale.html
Old 10-16-2010, 03:23 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
There are several harness manufacturers who will rewet your 5,6, or 7 point harnesses for a fee which is lower than buying a new set. This is normally done every 5 years.

It's been discussed in the racing/DE forum in the past, but no one has done a DIY that I remember.
Cost ends up being so close, is it worth it? (Quick check shows $110 v. $180 for G-Force.) And now SFI only allows manufactuers to recertify their own belts. Not sure if Schroth does, but that's pretty much anyone who is using a HANS uses. Out here, anyway, at the pointy end of the grid.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:40 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

I finished off the project. I took the belts to the local shoe repair shop and had them assembled with the new red webbing. I explained to the cobbler what I wanted and the importance of a strong joint. He understood and showed me the red nylon thread he would use. It was thick. I picked them up two hours later and they were perfect. I have no doubt that his switching will hold as well as the factory's.

I went by the local Porsche dealer and compared the color of these red belts to ones in a new 997. They are very very close. They are a little darker than the OEM ones, but not much. When I order the ones for the Boxster I'll order Flame Red and see how they match up.

With the $20 the cobbler charged for stitching them and the $48 for the webbing and buttons, the total DIY is under $70.

Last edited by Chuck W.; 10-16-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^ Good job Chuck plus a big savings.

Mike
Old 10-16-2010, 11:08 PM
Augustus Davies

Originally Posted by RutgersU
So you are still alive. Why did you run off after posting that you bought the turbo S when everyone asked for pics?
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...-for-sale.html
The car is still in the paint shop. When it's done it will be sold. It's a roach..

I regret buying it..

I'm not one for posting pics but if you need one, here ya' go...

Name:  lr.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  74.9 KB
Old 10-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Augustus Davies

Originally Posted by jaa1
I can't believe he's being flamed.., what a genius idea!!!

I would not want to spend $600+ on rear seat belts if it could be done for cheaper either!

I really appreciate your sharing, please do let us know how it turns out...
He's not being flamed....it's called 'ribbing'...
Old 10-16-2010, 11:32 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Augustus Davies
He's not being flamed....it's called 'ribbing'...
No, it was a flame. But that's alright, you had an opinion to give. Your delivery was poor but the message was received. No worries.

Would you mind telling us the story behind the S? I am sorry to hear you are not happy with your purchase.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:44 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Chuck I must say you are one class act. I'm not much for folks in law enforcement, but if I'd been around more cops like you, I probably would have had a much different respect for them growing up. I'm always amazed by your good natured spirit and generosity to others on this board, and you are an inspiration.

Best to you.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:49 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Best to you.
And to you.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
I finished off the project. I took the belts to the local shoe repair shop and had them assembled with the new red webbing. I explained to the cobbler what I wanted and the importance of a strong joint. He understood and showed me the red nylon thread he would use. It was thick. I picked them up two hours later and they were perfect. I have no doubt that his switching will hold as well as the factory's.

I went by the local Porsche dealer and compared the color of these red belts to ones in a new 997. They are very very close. They are a little darker than the OEM ones, but not much. When I order the ones for the Boxster I'll order Flame Red and see how they match up.

With the $20 the cobbler charged for stitching them and the $48 for the webbing and buttons, the total DIY is under $70.

PICS?!?!
Old 10-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Black993
PICS?!?!
This is a photo of the completed DIY, both sides.....

This is a photo of the PEP re-web (Top) ones next to the DIY ones.....

This is a photo of PEPs sewing job (Right) and the DIY one the cobbler did for me....

Old 10-17-2010, 03:44 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Chuck, they look very good. My one concern is this. If, God forbid, something happens, wouldn't an insurance company have a weasly backdoor out due to the fact that these belts are not DOT certified? It's not dissimilar to many of us yanking the airbaged steering wheel and replacing it with a Momo, I'm just curious.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nile13
Chuck, they look very good. My one concern is this. If, God forbid, something happens, wouldn't an insurance company have a weasly backdoor out due to the fact that these belts are not DOT certified? It's not dissimilar to many of us yanking the airbaged steering wheel and replacing it with a Momo, I'm just curious.
I honestly don't know. The replacement webbing is seat belt webbing. The sewing is such I can't see any chance of these failing any more than OEM ones. I don't think there is an issue or any risk involved in this DIY.

Last edited by Chuck W.; 10-17-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:49 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Chuck, I don't see any physical rusk in this at all. The question is more of a legal "what if", I'm curious if people worry about this (like we don;t have enough to worry about).

Quick Reply: Red (& 28 Other Colors) Seat Belts DIY for Under $70