Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT - So would you handle this one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 12:52 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default OT - So would you handle this one?

I responded to an ad on Craigslist for a Harley with a low price and here is the response:

My name is Julia white,
I am emailing you regarding the 2000 Harley Davidson Road King Classic that I have for sale.My bike is in perfect condition , with no need for additional repairs, no scratches, dings, special marks whatsoever, never been involved in any accidents. It has 11,775 miles,engine: 1450(cc) ,red exterior . I have a clear and clean title for it , no liens or loans ready to be signed and notarized on your name.I'm selling my son's bike, who died in Iraq four months ago and I want to get rid of it asap because the sight of it makes me think of him often and often and the pain is too great .Put yourself in my shoes and you'll do the same (selling the bike of your dead son, no offence)As you probably noticed , the final price that i want for this bike is $2,500.00 if you will buy it today or tomorrow .

Let me know where are you located and any other details you need about it.
My best wishes,

Julia
Old 10-14-2010, 12:58 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Run and Run fast....
Old 10-14-2010, 01:02 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Scam for sure
Old 10-14-2010, 01:08 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably a scam. If it,s legit then they only need to call the nearest Harley dealer and they will buy it and pick it up . Also red flag is no phone number contact by email only. Probably in Nigeria.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:42 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

get the address, if legit, go pick it up. no address = scam
Old 10-14-2010, 02:56 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanQ
get the address, if legit, go pick it up. no address = scam
and do not go alone or at night!
Old 10-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Axeman
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Typical Craigslist scam! lol
Old 10-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Spidey 993

Vincer, I had the almost exact same email from a Harley on Craigslist about 1 year ago. The bike was about 10k under market value, hence the draw. I contacted them and I got this huge sob story back, with bad english, misspelled words, clear title, pulling at my heart strings...

Needless to say, I ran...
Old 10-14-2010, 03:53 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Total Scam!! Seriously, just walk away.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:11 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ...and the plot thickens.

Sorry about your loss!

Yes, I am interested. Would you be able to give me the VIN number from the bike? It should be listed on the title documents.

Reply...

Hello again,
Ok, the vin number is 1HD1FRW13YY613569 and I`m located in Atlanta, GA(the bike is here with me) right now because i got a new job here,the thing is i`m very busy and i don`t have time to stay and meet with all my potential buyers, that is why i gave to a shipping company that will ship it to the next owner(on my cost). I will make the deal only to eBay. I am a member of the eBay buyer protection program and using this service you will get a 5 days testing period after delivery. During that 5 days testing period I will not be getting any money. I need to know if you are interested in buying it so I can ask eBay to send you the details on how this works. If interested please include in your next email your contact info for eBay ( full name, full address and phone number ) so we can get things started.

Thank you,

Similar ads for same bike seen on Sarasota and Knoxville CL.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:47 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Not surprising that the grammar in the 2nd email is completely different from the first. And the scammer somehow suddenly forgot the proper character for an apostrophe. i.e. ' not `
Old 10-14-2010, 04:57 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, smells scammy for sure.

Amazing how low these scammers will stoop by using victims of war to hit a soft and vulnerable spot in people. I'd hate it if a vet. tried to buy this in memory of a fallen comrade only to be scammed out of his hard-earned money.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:05 PM
djames
Instructor

Scam for sure. They are fishing for your address/contact info.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:25 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

There is always the chance it is legitimate. Reminds me of an old joke. A guy sees a Ferrari for sale on Craigslist for $2. He contacts the seller and everything seems to be in order. He pays the $2, gets the title and keys. As he's leaving, he just has to ask the woman selling it: "why are you selling a car for such a low price?". She answers: "My husband and I divorced. The divorce decree says I have to sell the car he gets the money". So I gave my bas--rd husband his $1".

If this is a legit. deal, it would be worth flying to Atlanta - to the shipping company - seeing the bike, seeing the title document - should already have been signed by the seller. If you can actually physically pick up the bike and title simultaneously with paying for it, then I'd do it. Otherwise, it's a scam.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Contact a Harley Davidson dealer with the VIN and get some info.

And then ask her for her phone number so you can talk about it in person.

But I'll be you a 6-pack of good ale that this is not legit.

What does "no liens or loans ready to be signed and notarized on your name even mean? Nothing needs to be notarized in a transaction like this.......

Quick Reply: OT - So would you handle this one?