Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Has anyone added drain holes to their windshield channel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 01:52 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Has anyone added drain holes to their windshield channel?

I pulled the windshield on my 993 and discovered rust in the channel. I used POR to stop the corrosion. I put on a second coat to insure there was no metal exposure.

Ive taken a close look at the channel and thinking of adding a drain hole on both sides of the windshield channel. Has anyone done this? The problem is that the holes would not drain to the outside, but rather behind the dash on the inside. Ideally routing a small copper pipe to the outside would be the solution, but the drainage path is not obvious.

I know someone mentioned their VW had these and they were worried about water dripping from the holes, but the amount of moisture was minimal.
Attached Images    
Old 10-14-2010, 02:06 AM
bramblegrower
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a bad idea. '67 912 had drain hole in front and rear window channels from the factory:

Old 10-14-2010, 02:25 AM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

I believe that on a car that has the original windshield you are unlikely to have rust. They seem to rust from the outside, not the inside. I think it is caused by damage/scratching to the surround when fitters remove the old gunk and poor preperation for a new screen. Also movement of the seal attached to a poorly fitted screen rubs at the paint and rust can start there also.

Drain holes are probably not a good solution because capillary action will keep water under the seal and prevent it draining. Much better is spraying a good amount of Valvoline Tectyl WD506 or similar under the seal. This will keep water out, and where water is present negate it's effects. Plus it is a powerful rust inhibitor.

All the best

Berni
Old 10-14-2010, 10:48 AM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

Received 377 Likes on 260 Posts

...or follow the TSB 9501 which suggests that you completely fill the channel with some kind of sealant...
From TSB 9501

...If no damage is found, the gap between the
window and body should at least be filled with "Bostic 6050"
sealer and the window trim reinstalled...

I've done this front and rear, and now have no sitting water. I used a different sealant.

I'll post-up what I did..... here's the original link.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=56688

Quick Reply: Has anyone added drain holes to their windshield channel?