Sponsored by:

rear tire wear question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 08:19 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default rear tire wear question

I searched the forum and couldn't find my specific issue. There are 5k miles on brand new P-zeros since I purchased the car in 2008. The right rear (pass side) has worn differently (more) than the left. The 1" center tread pattern is worn where there are longer cross grooves. The right side clearly shows all even wear but cross grooves are all visible. My car has the LSD and ABD. Could this be a case of just over inflation? I had them at the recommended 44lbs for about 7 months before I realized that no one does this and then adjusted them to 38 lbs since.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

These cars are so very sensitive to inflation and alignment. Since it's different on each tire, and I assume you had them inflated the same, I'm going with alignment.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:32 AM
fineito
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I had kept my rears inflated at 44 lbs for years without any unusual wear characteristics. I know maintain at about 40 lbs. I am no expert, but my guess would be an alignment issue.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:25 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The owner's manual for my '95 says 36 lbs and I have barely any wear on my Michelin Pilot A/S rears. I also have the LSD option. Your time at 44 lbs may have done the damage in the center of the tread but why not the other side??
Old 10-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Fly911
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

5k miles on a set of P Zero's is pretty good. at least for the rear tires. Allignment and tire pressure has a lot to do with tire wear, but also your way of driving. If you drive the 993 the way it's supposed to be driven, you should not expect any more than 5k miles on the rears.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:55 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Make sure your alignment shop is familiar with setting kinematic toe too.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Usually the driver side wears more unless you typically have a heavier passenger ore frequently, but I agree with the above, sounds like the alignment is off.

A good alignment shop will align with you sitting in the driver's seat to account for that weight.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:09 PM
J.A.W.S.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly911
5k miles on a set of P Zero's is pretty good. at least for the rear tires. Allignment and tire pressure has a lot to do with tire wear, but also your way of driving. If you drive the 993 the way it's supposed to be driven, you should not expect any more than 5k miles on the rears.
+993
Old 10-11-2010, 12:32 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Make sure your alignment shop is familiar with setting kinematic toe too.
and has the tool. If they don't, they are not in the business of doing 993 alignments.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:22 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
Usually the driver side wears more unless you typically have a heavier passenger ore frequently, but I agree with the above, sounds like the alignment is off.

A good alignment shop will align with you sitting in the driver's seat to account for that weight.
I thought also the driver's side would wear a little more. I just remembered that I had a hit a pothole this last fall and the wheel got dented and it needed to be repaired. Nothing really that major but now that I think about it I never had it checked afterwards. I wonder if this is what threw off the alignment.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Fly911
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Take the car to a shop that knows the 993. Do not take it to a Porsche dealership, they will only set it to factory allignment. That is OK if you drive like an old lady, but if you want to explore the real fun built in to a 993, you would need a more agressive set up. Get as much camber in the front as you can (1.8 degrees without camber plates), and around 2.5 degrees in the back. Make sure that the toe in is correct front and rear, and that the rear kinematic link is set properly. Get the car corner ballanced (equal weight on each front wheel and each rear wheel) with the driver's weight in the driver's seat. The extra camber in the front make the car to turn in much crisper, and makes it much more fun to drive hard in turns. The front tires will wear out faster, but not as fast as the rears. Since you should change all four at the same time, you might as well wear out the fronts as much as possible (to match the rears...).
Old 10-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 201 Posts

my car had a track specific set up when I got it...approx -2 degrees at each corner, and a little more on both F&R right sides. The car smoked a set(all 4) of Michelin PSC's in approx 4k miles of PURE street driving.

Yea, it turned real crisp the first few hundred miles or so. Then as the tires started wearing uneven, it got worse and worse.

After new tires, my alignment was done to Euro RS spec's, approx -1.8 degrees at all corners, as well as cornered balanced. The car is planted, turn in extremely predictable, etc, etc,etc. Simply better everywhere, than when I first got it. Now the Walrod bushings and Wevo SS mounts help too, but that's another story.

My car is a DD, maybe some Auto X's next season, who knows...maybe even a DE. There is simply no excuse to burn thru $$$ rubber in 3-4Kmiles for anything but a dedicated track car-IMHO.

I put Hankook Ventus EVO's on the car, they seem every bit as competent as the PSC's, and cost half as much. I hope to get 20K miles out of the fronts, and hopefully 10K out of the rears. I'm pretty attentive to tire pressures, 32psi fr-225/40/18, 39psi rr-295/30/18-that helps also.

That's my plan anyway.

For the driving you do Chappy, don't go beyond the RS settings(-1.8 degrees). In stock form these cars handle way beyond most of our abilities. It just doesn't make sense to smoke the tires with unnecesary camber, although it does look cool
Old 10-12-2010, 04:38 PM
911CabSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be cautious of too much camber on a street car.... It will cause pre-mature wear - especially on the inside of the rear tires. I run about -2 on all 4 corners since my car is street/track (30/70)... Do a seach for "tire failure" and you will see pics of my post where the inside rear was leaking air after a fast freeway run - Turned out it had corded all the way around the inside driver rear tire and was beginning to separate where the sidwewall meets the tread.. Now, as a pre-caution, I have the rears re-mounted after 2500 miles (switch left/right rear rims).

Quick Reply: rear tire wear question