993 Forum 1995-1998

Stupid Battery Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 07:17 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 681 Likes on 451 Posts
Default Stupid Battery Question

OK, it's been 100 years since I have used a battery that isn't sealed, so go easy on me. Picked up my new Interstate battery and got ready to put it in today. When I took the factory shrink wrapping off of it, I noticed some drips of liquid (water or acid?) on the side of the battery and a little beside one of the terminals. I inspected the battery and don't see any sign of damage, so I assume this was liquid that spilled out a little during transport or handing??? Anyone else ever see this?

I wiped the battery down and left it on my bench to see if there is anymore liquid on it in the morning that might indicate a leak of some sort. Paranoid?

I also got the vent kit with the battery. Do I just press it into the vent hole or is there some sort of plug in there that has to be removed? Of course, no instructions with the vent kit

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-18-2010, 08:42 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 272 Posts

It could be battery acid that has just condensated during shipment. To test, I may be crazy but I just swipe a bit on my finger and taste it. Baking soda and water will neutralize it. Doubtful the battery is a leaker but it may well bear watching. I get those yellow battery mats, cut to size and install under the battery just for insurance. Yes, the vent should just plug in, then you hook it up to your vent tube in the trunk. It's always a good idea to take a look at your battery every couple of months just to make sure everything's o.k.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark:

There should be a tube hooked up to your existing battery. The Interstate vent kit should plug into that system. If there is no tube, then you're going to have to look at your other car to see what runs where.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:48 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked last night and I don't have any vent hose etc on my battery. Should I be concerned?
Old 09-18-2010, 10:40 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Yes. Battery fumes are caustic. Unless you're using something like an Odyssey or Optima, you should use a vent. There should be one and it's probably been disconnected, then stuffed back into the well where you can't see it without removing or moving the existing battery.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:42 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I just checked it again and it's still dry, so I assume it got jostled around on the ride home from the shop and was trapped under the shrink wrap.

Thanks Rinty. The old battery was a Porsche battery and had the vent tube on it connected to the car. So, I'll just use the new hose and connector and that should do it.

Pcarhombre, if the hose is disconnected it springs back under the front of the car and you will not be able to see it without removing the battery and sticking your head under there. It's clear tubing on my car.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Ok, got it in and everything is fine. Thanks for the help. I did have a little surprise though...I wanted to check how my mechanic ran the vent tube on the red C2 and low and behold, he didn't bother to install it! Pissed me off as he changed the battery when I had it in for service without asking me first and charged me a pretty penny to do a job I can do myself! He'll be getting a call in the morning
Old 09-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad it worked out for you, Mark.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:58 PM
jrmdir
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Yes, this is an old thread but based on my experience this weekend it seemed a good idea to post a reminder:

When I first looked at my car I noticed the battery vent hose just lying beside the battery - then promptly forgot about it in the excitement of the purchase process. I also forgot to ask about it during the PPI - and nothing was said about it in the report.

Fast forward to my current bumper project when I take the battery out for the first time and - glued to the back is a nice little plastic bag containing the brand new vent fitting and plug. So I finally look closely and the vent holes were left open on both ends! Have no idea how long but fortunately I can find no evidence of acid fume damage.

(And that takes me back to an incident with my first 911 when the voltage regulator failed during an all-day drive. Even with the vent hose intact I started smelling something strange and finally discovered what it was when I stopped for gas - and heard the battery acid boiling)

Last edited by jrmdir; 03-27-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:46 PM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

That's a good battery reminder jrmdir.
OT jrmdir but are you the same Ohio resident that attended a 993 fest in Toronto a couple of summers ago?
Old 03-27-2017, 05:39 PM
jrmdir
Rennlist Member

Thanks 2Red! Nope, not me - just got mine last month. But I'd definitely like to come up if there's another one!
Ron
Old 03-27-2017, 06:41 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

As long as we're on the "battery thread" again, let me add that so-called "Maintenance-Free" batteries aren't! Only the AGM/Gel cell batteries are truly maintenance free, sealed batteries. It's a good idea to, once a year, carefully, pry off the two covers or unscrew the six caps and check the water level in each cell. If low, use only distilled water and don't over-fill. If the level gets below the plates, sulfating can occur which will shorten battery life.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:47 PM
jrmdir
Rennlist Member

^^ Thanks for the good advice. Question on fill level - I used to think the proper level was when the fluid just touched the "ring" that is the bottom of the filler tube. On my battery, the level in all 6 cells is approx 3/8 inch below that - but still quite a bit higher than the plates. Given that I just bought the car and have no idea of battery maintenance, should I be concerned that the level is somewhere between the plates and the ring? (FWIW, the battery is not holding what I understand is supposed to be a full charge - it's approx 12.2V after sitting for a while.)
TIA, Ron

Many Thanks
Old 03-29-2017, 04:31 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

As long as the level hasn't gotten down to the plates you should be o.k. but I'd fill to the ring with distilled water. 12.2 V at rest is probably o.k. While driving, just be sure that you're putting out around 13.5-14.4 V. There are some inexpensive digital Voltmeters that plug into your cig. light for an EZ way to check. The true measure of a battery's condition is having it load tested. You can take it to most any major auto parts store for that.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:21 PM
jrmdir
Rennlist Member

Super info - thanks!

Quick Reply: Stupid Battery Question