Window Tint Recommendations - SF East Bay

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 03:37 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Window Tint Recommendations - SF East Bay

Hey Everyone,

As some of you know, I just bought an E46 M3 w/o tinted windows. All of my other cars have tint, and I can't believe how much I miss not having it on the new car. Can anyone recommend a decent tint shop in the East Bay. I'd like tint that doesn't bubble for the next several years.

TIA,
Joe
Old 08-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Redblurr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you used anyone in that area before? I run a tint shop but not in your area. I am very knowledgeable on all sorts and brands of tint. There are many tints on the market that will last for a very long time. Then there are tints that will only last a few years before they turn purple or start to bubble. Unfortunately many shops use the cheaper of the two and still give you a lifetime warranty with hopes that you will get rid of your car before the tint starts to fail. Shady industry standards! My advice to you is use a shop that has been around for a long time and if you can, go and take a look at their workmanship. Anyone can tint a window. Not alot of people can tint a window perfectly. If you would like, you may PM me and will gladly give you advice on tint brands. GL
Old 08-16-2010, 06:35 PM
JM993
Banned

Thanks. PM on it's way.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:21 PM
User 122821
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me know if find one as I'm interested in tinting the 993
Old 08-16-2010, 10:24 PM
syzygy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Redblurr, what's your opinion on the ceramic tints? I know it's a little late now, but I had my 911 recently tinted with a very light tint from Llumar, primarily for reducing heat infiltration.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:21 PM
Redblurr
Racer

You must be talking about their Formula 1 ceramic tint? Ceramic tints are typically good tints. Their claim to fame is their heat reducing qualities. Up here in Washington State ceramic films are kind of a joke. Just because we don't get severe heat up here. Its hard to talk someone into spending the premium for more heat reduction. All in all, Lumar has been around for several years and has decent products. I'm not sure what you paid for your ceramic tint job but if it was under 450$ you did OK.(for a top notch quality install that is). Any other questions? I am having fun answering these questions. Finally feeling like I'm contributing to the Rennlist community.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:40 AM
syzygy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it was the Formula 1 tint. The only reason I got the tint was to reduce the heat in the car. The A/C on my 911 is, well, less than stellar. Basically, it's like a convection oven blowing away. Every little bit helps on that handful of days above 90, especially on road trips. And yes, it wasn't cheap. It hurt (the installer) a bit, when they redid it because of the wrong tint level. Otherwise, a fantastic job.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:44 AM
JM993
Banned

Originally Posted by Redblurr
I am having fun answering these questions. Finally feeling like I'm contributing to the Rennlist community.
Thanks Redblurr. What should I expect to pay for a quality tint job ( 5 windows - non-ceramic)? Say using Solar Guard tint.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 08-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Redblurr
Racer

Well, pricing is very different state to state. I imagine due to the amount of competition. I would charge around 300$ for a 993. Probably less in Cali. Most films on the market are priced competitively. Ceramics are more expensive. Up where I live its all about making the car look cool. So excellent workmanship is a must. Down in Cali (and other warmer states) it is more about keeping the car actually cooler. Sometimes workmanship suffers, therefore prices vary according to how good the tinter is. I would say that anywhere between 200$ and 300$ would be a fair price for a nice extruded film install. Remember, the price should reflect the quality of film + quality of workmanship. GL

Quick Reply: Window Tint Recommendations - SF East Bay