Instrument Clsuter Lights don't work

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 10:03 PM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Instrument Clsuter Lights don't work

Solved...go the post for 5-Sep.

Did a search here of course. Lot's of good info. but nothing with a solution for this exact problem...unless it's the typical R11 relay. But everything else works?!?!!?

Gauges and warning lights all work.

Checked several of the fuses in the front box - all good.

Played with dimmer potentiometer...no effect.

Everything else in the cockpit works fine, cig lighter, exterior lights and fog lights, rear wing, etc....just no gauge lights.

Argh!

Last edited by TRM; 09-06-2010 at 03:22 PM. Reason: SOLVED the problem...
Old 08-16-2010, 08:22 PM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Still no luck with these. don't know if any of you have any interesting ideas. Short of pulling open the fuse box and giving it a few good bangs with a hammer I'm not sure where to start to try and trouble shoot the issue.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:07 PM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Did some troubleshooting this evening. Only thing it might be is one of the relays that is inside the dash to the left of the fuel gauge. Have to open her up and have a look.

Anyone know how easy/hard it is to get the gauges out?
Old 08-17-2010, 10:47 PM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the last week or so there were several posts about removing some of the instrument cluster gauges.
The tach is apparently friction fit and pulls straight out; some noted difficulty getting it to clear the steering wheel.
Not sure if other/all gauges are friction fit too.
Gordo
Old 08-17-2010, 10:51 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 350 Posts

Before I started disassembling the dash, I would get a wiring diagram and make sure your ground connections are good, etc.

With regard to removing the gauges, this is from the odometer gear DIY on P-Car:

Using a cloth covered screwdriver, gently pry the speedometer out from your dashboard. The rubber ring around the edge comes out too so get under that with the flat screwdriver and pry out. Do NOT use the neighboring gauge as a leverage point. The black trim ring is very easily scratched. Once you get it started you should be able to get your hands on it and pull it out. Unplug the connector....

I assume the other gauges come out in a similar fashion.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:40 AM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I have the shop manual on PDF and can look at wiring today. Taking it in this morning for state inspection...will ask the mechanic if he's ever removed the gauges as well. They work on a lot of p-cars where I'm taking her.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:29 PM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Problem solved. Some crazy wiring in the 993. A while ago I removed the ashtray light to make room for something else. This morning tracing back certain steps I reconnected the ashtray light. Bam! Interior gauge lights working!

Apparently just having the circuit closed was not what the instrument light controller could work with.

Quick Reply: Instrument Clsuter Lights don't work