Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Any experience with lightweight batteries?

Old 10-25-2018, 03:26 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts

Another plug for a battery with Cell Monitoring and Over-Disharge technology. I’m still running mine with no issues. If you have any questions, let me know as I’ve also researched them in depth before installing.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:12 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Wanted to update my usage on the EarthX ETX24c battery I purchased 3yrs back. Excellent capacity and no worries about leaving it 2-3weeks from the Optimate charger. If you want a product that works for the Aero Industry and enthusiasts like myself, this is a solid Lifepo.

I believe these run around 225-275 depending on where you purchase. Great warranty as well coming from the Aero industry.
The following users liked this post:
WI-Ing (04-24-2020)
Old 10-17-2019, 07:59 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Thanks for the follow up. How do these compare to, say, Antigravity's offerings?

I've been running Odysssey 925s for a while but have been reluctant to commit to a battery that's $100 more and that might require a special charger.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:45 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Antigravity will cost you about the same for their ATX12 (which is about the same size and PCA, though mine is lighter). They’ll even be about 2-4 more if you want their Automotive type. Mine is 8-10ah actual which is same as their offering.

EarthX is all US components and made here. Not sure about Antigravity. Warranty isn’t prorated either through EarthX. It fails at all, they give you a new one if needed. Not sure about Anti.

Same battery management minus the “Restart Tech.”

Overall, id recommend for the newer tech and the $50 Optimate charger. A battery that weighs 2.5lbs is worth it.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:38 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Thanks for the follow up. How do these compare to, say, Antigravity's offerings?

I've been running Odysssey 925s for a while but have been reluctant to commit to a battery that's $100 more and that might require a special charger.
I would suggest reaching out to EnerSys/Odyssey about the tradeoffs in selecting the 925 for your 993. This is the info I got from them upon inquiry

"EnerSys has always recommended the replacement battery be the same size or smaller (to fit the compartment space) based on OEM battery size. At one time, we may have recommended a PC1200 model battery but that was many, many years ago. We have had group 48 sized batteries for quite some time now and have recommend them in recent years. Note that the PC925 may have 900 CA for the first 5 seconds at 80F but it has about half the capacity of an OEM sized battery and will take about half the time of an OEM battery under the same loads to reach the point of cranking issues. If the battery got deeply discharged during maintenance on the vehicle due to parasitic electrical loads."

Good luck
Old 10-18-2019, 12:19 AM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Originally Posted by Paolo1
I would suggest reaching out to EnerSys/Odyssey about the tradeoffs in selecting the 925 for your 993. This is the info I got from them upon inquiry

"EnerSys has always recommended the replacement battery be the same size or smaller (to fit the compartment space) based on OEM battery size. At one time, we may have recommended a PC1200 model battery but that was many, many years ago. We have had group 48 sized batteries for quite some time now and have recommend them in recent years. Note that the PC925 may have 900 CA for the first 5 seconds at 80F but it has about half the capacity of an OEM sized battery and will take about half the time of an OEM battery under the same loads to reach the point of cranking issues. If the battery got deeply discharged during maintenance on the vehicle due to parasitic electrical loads."

Good luck
What’s recommend and what actually works are quite significant. I and the many others are proof. Those tests for what’s needed are based off of Cranking amps in below 0 F weather. As we all know, cold kills batteries. I’ve been down to around 40 f with narry a problem. The trick is to heat up Litho’s with some running current for a few minutes. Lights or radio. The hotter they are (not killing battery temp), the more powerful.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:55 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 976 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore

Hey Mark,

Ultimately it does depend on your use...

Some want physically small, but that means you make your own mounting system Not a big deal if your handy, others just want to drop it in and go.

Bottom line is Antigravity Batteries offers a bigger selection than the other Lithium companies, and most all our models have more technological advance features. But we usually have a very similar offering that is close to what any other company is offering. So if you liked a certain model by Earth X you could find it similar one by us.... on the other hand if you like Built-In Jump Staring you cannot t find that with others being we are a bit more advanced than the other companies. So in our flagship lines we start to walk away from the competition with some cool features like the built-in Jump STarting, a better BMS, better cells that most the other companies.

But let me make clear that EarthX is a fine company and the product is good if you go with them. . I don't begrudge them anything and say yes they make a quality Lithium battery. They do mostly the Powersports sized stuff, and you have to get a bracket to hole the non-standard sized batteries. We have something similar to what they offer in most every size, but feel we are a bit more advanced.

Let me know if you have specific questions or email me at scott@antigravitybatteries.com

Last edited by Antigravity; 10-19-2019 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:49 PM
s2racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Interstate battery vs. Odyssey

interesting thread...I've got an Interstate battery in the car, but wouldn't mind putting a (lighter) non-lead non-acid battery in. The Interstate has 700+CCA, while the Odyssey has 170CCA (500+PCHA, whatever that is). I keep the car on a trickle charger, and Florida rarely gets below 40 overnight. Is it safe to assume keeping the Odyssey on a charger will be sufficient. Not a DD, but once a week thrasher (street, not track).
Thanks

Last edited by s2racer; 10-19-2019 at 12:50 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 10-19-2019, 02:17 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Of course. Those ratings for CA are for extreme temps which tax the battery.

Give the EarthX 24c a go. It fails at all, they’ll give you a new one. I don’t know of another Lithium battery maker that doesn’t work on a prorated system. But you won’t have a problem. I’d strongly recommend the use of the Lithium Optimate. It’s a dandy with the battery’s Management system and can balance cells charge/float levels.

Its imperative to get one with Management built in. It shouldn’t be a reminder..... You have a tank of gas up front.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:50 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Has the risk of fire with lithium batteries been eliminated? Have airlines removed the lithium battery restrictions? If so, I will take another look at these.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:52 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

The battery management eliminates these problems. Safer than your cellphone batteries id say. Economies of scale with these are smaller and is say more rigorously tested. Especially EarthX which offers many solutions to the Aero industry.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:43 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 976 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Paolo1
Has the risk of fire with lithium batteries been eliminated? Have airlines removed the lithium battery restrictions? If so, I will take another look at these.
Lets say the risk has been eliminated by some companies when using the batteries as intended. I can only speak for Antigravity Batteries, because some other Lithium Battery companies out there are still making Auto and Powersport Batteries without the built-in protections that Antigravity Batteries offer.

Antigravity Batteries is the leader in this Lithium segment by quite a ways in regards to the technology, safety, and overall product line. So I can say using our RE-START Automotive Battery is a safe option. We brought forward the safest technology to Automotive batteries first and now added even more cool features like the Built-In Jump Starting feature that again puts us as the most innovative company in this niche.

But with that being said there are still some name brands such as Braille that do not have a BMS (Battery Management System) which is the built-in protections to PREVENT the factors that cause what is known as Thermal Runaway (battery melting down). But even a Lifepo4 Lithium Battery without protections if properly maintained, can also be safe, and work fine for years. The Lifepo4 type of Lithium Chemistry is one of, if not the safest format in the industry, but regardless when unprotected needs to be maintained correctly. So in our Automotive Battery products we have a high number of built-in protections that keep the battery from over-discharging, over-charging, offer short-circuit protections, Cell Balancing and Thermal protections. So the battery really can't be put in the position to have dangerous conditions effect it.

But we have to take a step back because there are a few issues you are bringing up that are not relative to Automotive Starter Battery applications. For example there are different chemical make-ups of Lithium... for example the "Lithium Polymer" Batteries found in the hoover boards and phone batteries that were exploding and catching fire are NOT the same Lithium Chemistry as we use for Automotive Batteries which is Lithium-Iron Phosphate (Lifepo4). The Polymer/Cobalt variant is much more energy dense and much more volatile than the Lithium Iron Phosphate chemistry and it plays a big part in the stability of the battery. So there is a lack of understanding at times of the different types of Lithium Chemistries because often the media will just use the term Lithium-Ion Batteries as a whole... when there are several different sub- types and some are quite volatile, and some are much safer and can handle abuse such as what is use for our Automobile Starter Batteries. So we are not using the Lithium that was used in Hoover Boards, or Phones. Its completely different.

But if you choose a quality brand and speak to them about their products you can find perfectly safe options for your Car. Of course we are Antigravity, and I would suggest us... but that is because we can stand behind the fact that we have tons of users on this forum itself using our product successfully in GT3, GT2s, Turbos and all the rest. And yes that does give us credibility because the forum members on Renn are quite discerning and would not hold back from bringing up issues with a product and you can see people are happy with our products. You can search us here, on Google and Youtube and get a ton of information.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:04 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

+1 for antigravity. The restart feature is great. I am storing the blue car that doesn't allow me to connect a battery tender to it. Unfortunately, the battery drains between my infequent drives lately with her. The restart feature is great as I push the restart button, and she fires right up as she should.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:14 AM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Doesn't lightening the front of these car throw the balance off though ?
Old 10-26-2019, 11:12 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

It will shift weight rearward, but that only increases the ability to trail. Buy the Earthx atx24c when your battery goes and you’ll be a happy camper. Quickest way to loose 46lbs+/-. Just pickup the Optimate charger. 3yrs + for me and I’m quite happy. 2 - 2.5lbs is win win.

$225–275 for the battery. I wouldn’t waste the extra $300-600 for the Automotive Antigravity. Only if you run your car consistently below 20f degrees. Even then, you could opt for the ATX30 or a little larger. Costs and weight will be your penalty. You must understand the ratings are based off of lowest temperature or area used to consistently start your vehicle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any experience with lightweight batteries?