Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

transmission shifting into first hard unless stopped

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 02:29 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

A crunch into any gear is different than being able to shift easily or difficult in my opinion.

If I shift too fast in my car, I can get a crunch. To me, that’s either operator error, the wrong fluid, or worn synchros.

Difficulty shifting into first while moving is common across many makes and models of cars or trucks. Some are easier than others.

All cars and all manual transmission gears will be more difficult to shift into first gear while moving than any other gear (aside from maybe reverse) because the actual act of trying to engage 1st requires that the transmission gears be sped up quite a bit - maybe up to 3,000 RPM at 15mph - and the only device that’s able to do that is the synchro (or double synchro in our 996s). What might be working against the spin-up besides cold, viscous oil, is the throwout bearing, the bearings on either side of the transmission, or the clutch and pressure plate.

Testing to see if it’s the clutch/plate is easy - just rev-match at 15 mph and it should shift easier into first even without using the clutch. But this test doesn’t seem to work well on all cars.

If it’s still not easy to shift, then it’s just tight overall and will probably not be fixable unless the clutch components are changed out.

The fact that the most difficult shifting happen when cold leads me to suspect the oil as being the main reason why some folks have a hard time.

Otherwise, I still think some of the shifts into First that require more effort is by design, and exacerbated by too much drag somewhere else that’s making the problem worse due to a part that could be replaced to help relieve it.

Problem is: it’s too expensive to try to fix the problem by itself, and most folks wait until a new clutch is needed or other work is being done.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:59 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

I agree you don't need to shift 2-1 around town but in the hills around here are some tight uphill hairpins that cannot be negotiated in 2nd
ill heel toe 2-1 because I don't want to come to a stop. The rev blip is crucial and the cost of failure is high
definately not for the faint of heart
Old 04-28-2018, 03:55 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

What was the problem with OPs gearbox / clutch eventually?
Old 05-03-2023, 11:20 PM
PNW993
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I was having the same problem,downshifting from 2-1 (crunchy into 1st); I had no idea I was driving the car wrong! Now that I’ve changed my driving habits, its a much improved experience!
I very much appreciate the insight from the more experienced drivers on the board. Important information to pass down to future 993 enthusiasts.

Last edited by PNW993; 05-03-2023 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-04-2023, 07:53 AM
PFDGSB
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

I had similar issues years ago. It was my motor mounts. If yours are original or old, consider changing them - pretty common issue.
Old 05-04-2023, 09:43 AM
Heuerman
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

I agree. Just changed my engine mounts and it has improved the shift no end. I used C4 mounts in my C2 and I am liking the result.

Quick Reply: transmission shifting into first hard unless stopped