Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

transmission shifting into first hard unless stopped

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 04:23 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

air993 - I hear you. Opening the transmission is $$$. I am just going through it to fix a broken shift fork. If you need to go this route, you might consider re-gearing to shorter gears in combination with RS flywheel and clutch. This makes it even more expensive but transforms the car to another level (feels like 50 plus HP). All the ones that have done this know what I am talking about. Good Luck!
Old 06-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I downshift into first before completely coming to a stop...air993
If you're coming to a stop anyway, you can just push the clutch in at 5 mph or so, come to a stop, and then engage first. That would save a little wear on the transmission.

...is it not bad to lug the engine...air993
In the lower gears, you have more torque multiplication, so there's less potential for lugging. I have to transit a series of highish speed bumps in my neighbourhood, and I find I can go over them in second gear for a second or two, at a walking pace, without lugging. I do it with light throttle.

I don't know if it's just me, but I find that there is a lot of inertia in these gear boxes, and when you double clutch down, you have to match the revs fairly closely to get a clean engagement.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:38 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

With my Fister D stage 3's i just like (no love) the sound of shifting in to 1st before stopping. Never had any issues with the shift. Hadnt thought that it would do any damage??
Old 07-01-2010, 12:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi there. I think all towns have lots of stop signs these days. Seriously tho - like above I cant understand why you would change into 1st before stopping. Heel and toe from 3rd to 2nd then coast clutch in brakes applied till stop from say 10mph engage into first clutch still in as you come to a halt and your ready to take of in 1st again or can slide into neutral if you have to wait for traffic.

My 10 years experience with manual 993s indicates getting the gear into first requires a patient hand in any case and down changing from 2nd to 1st probably isnt good for teh box or the passengers unless you are an acomplished hell and toe person...

Dont stress about it - Id just change your style and save some $$$$. Try a friends car to see if its similar...

Cheers
M
Old 07-01-2010, 04:43 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

I see no reason to force the transmission into first gear while the car is rolling. Makes no sense to me.

Andreas
Old 07-01-2010, 05:04 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive another 993 if you have the chance, you may not have a "problem" at all.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:55 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 86 Posts

I have an issue whereby the car sometimes is reluctant to go into first gear from a complete stop. You can feel the resistance. If you double clutch it's fine. Back to neutral, clutch out, clutch in, into first, no problem. I've never tried to go into first while moving.

Car has 81k miles on it. Clutch was replaced at 41k miles. Transmission had "repair' at 58k miles. Records say.....

Billet 3-4 shift fork. GT3 3rd-4th steel synchros and 1st and 2nd GT# ‘style’ weld on dog rings and 1st and 2nd slider.

G
Old 04-01-2018, 02:17 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by gmorat
I have an issue whereby the car sometimes is reluctant to go into first gear from a complete stop. You can feel the resistance. If you double clutch it's fine. Back to neutral, clutch out, clutch in, into first, no problem. I've never tried to go into first while moving.

Car has 81k miles on it. Clutch was replaced at 41k miles. Transmission had "repair' at 58k miles. Records say.....

Billet 3-4 shift fork. GT3 3rd-4th steel synchros and 1st and 2nd GT# ‘style’ weld on dog rings and 1st and 2nd slider.

G
993 trans has a double cone synchromesh mechanism, The synchronizing ring and the friction ring rotate at the same speed as the guide sleeve and the shift sleeve. The speed is dependant on the the speed of the vehicle(drive pinion). The loose gearwheel w/ the clutch coupling and the conical ring rotate at engine speed. If during a gear change the shift sleeve is moved axially on the guide sleeve, a friction force is generated between the outside diameters of the synchronizing ring and the conical ring and at the inside diameters of the friction ring and the conical ring. This friction force either cause all parts which rotate at engine speed(1-2 shift) to decelerate or causes them to accelerate(2-1 shift). These surfaces are wear items. If fluid doesn't improve the friction situation then it needs a R&R.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:51 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

One should never ever shift into the first gear other than when at a standstill. Some may shift into first when rolling very slowly but the system is not designed for this. Also some may attempt to downshift into first, a big NO-NO and something that has no purpose.
Andy
Old 04-01-2018, 05:15 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
One should never ever shift into the first gear other than when at a standstill. Some may shift into first when rolling very slowly but the system is not designed for this. Also some may attempt to downshift into first, a big NO-NO and something that has no purpose.
Andy
'Yes, that's what I said. I'm at a complete standstill and upon occasion it's hard to get the car into first gear. When this happens, I go back to neutral, release the clutch, engage the clutch and then put the car into first easily. Anyone know why this happens on my car?
Old 04-01-2018, 08:18 PM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Very early (late 50's and 60's) Minis which I learnt to drive in had no syncro on first so you engaged second before first at a standstill with clutch engaged. No crunch. Looks like 1st gear syncro is worn. An oil change to the very expensive Porsche one may help.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:51 AM
aclt993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my 1995 C2 for almost 20 years and have never put it into first gear while the car is rolling. To me I see no reason for it, and this could cause damage should you make a mistake. I have 7 four way stop signs leaving my neighborhood and down shift to 2nd, brake, depress clutch, select neutral, come to stop. It is easy to retrain yourself, and if you heel and toe you can make it fun.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:07 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

I guess I live in the wrong part of the world. In Chicagoland, there are stop signs at every block, and hardly anyone actually completely stops at these signs. So shifting into 1st for most non-German Cars is easy to do. It seems like only German Cars have a 1st gear issue...
Old 04-26-2018, 11:23 AM
rubenmad
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently test drove a low mileage 993 and I also experienced the shift into first crunch from a rolling stop. This doesn't seem typical to me as I've tested driven other 993's and I haven't experienced this crunch. I own a '82 911 and it shifts very smoothly into first from a rolling stop. I understand, that given this issue, most would change their driving habits and come to a complete stop.

So what's the consensuses, should a you be able to shift into 1st (right before stopping) with a perfectly working transmission?
Old 04-26-2018, 01:00 PM
spikej
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

You should move! 😉

​​​​I second double clutching into first and see if that works .

Quick Reply: transmission shifting into first hard unless stopped