Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Targa Top Jammed

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 08:49 AM
wmetais
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After all this help, there is no question that I will become a loyal Rennlist subscriber. And, when or if I get my top operational again, I will be posting some photos, as per your suggestion.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:54 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, good luck with it. It's tedious, but if you take it slow and do not force anything, you will probably be able to remove the glass without damaging anything. Some of these little plastic pieces are the most fragile. And once the glass top is out, you are going to have to remove some more delicate plastic pieces to remove some of the guiding mechanism for the shade as well so you can remove the rails part way.

It seems that Andrew has given you excellent advice as always. His descriptions are photos (on pcarworkship.com) are superb!

PM me if you want to chat more about it as I might be able to walk you through some of the difficult steps. I was able to remove the glass top and all the pieces by myself, but it's probably better to have a second pair of hands to make sure nothing is broken as Andrew suggests.

Marc G.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:57 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You are also correct in assuming the dealer is not the best source for repair work on this stuff. I spoke to several dealers out here and they look at you like a deer in headlights.

But, of course, most dealerships are willing to take on the work. Mind you, they will charge you for a lot of hours and at a very steep price.

For me, I didn't trust them either.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

The dealers do not touch this stuff very often, and now that the cars are getting older, really are not that interested unless they charge you enough hours. I think Rennlist has one of the most concentrated wisdom of how the Targa operates around.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember, there is more to this...
getting the track out once the roof is out is a pain. You may figure a way to fix the part you need fixed with out taking the track out once the roof is out.

Mark, I took the glass out and put it back in once by myself too, thats why I said it was a two man job—I don't wanna try that again.

Quick Reply: Targa Top Jammed