Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Can I BURN the passenger seat out of the car? (drive shaft stuck)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 04:58 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can I BURN the passenger seat out of the car? (drive shaft stuck)

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...postition.html

Only valid search result I could find... ^

Rear seat backs out, seat belts out - roll bar, new seats, mounting brackets, sub-bar and harnesses ready to go.

Passenger-side front seat will *not* move forward. It is stuck in the rear-most position. Not surprisingly, I can not access the two 6mm hex bolts towards the rear of the rail.

No old seat come out = no new seat go in.

The motor is fine and the switch is fine. Not only does it click but the drive shaft tries to move the seat with a fairly significant amount of torque.

I have bucked the seat like a five dollar woman of negotiable moral virtue, tapped everything I can tap, banged everything I can bang and I can see no reason why the seat will not willingly slide forward.

I've run out of ideas - and the sole remaining option of which I am aware is the "solution" in the factory repair manual which requires cutting of the upholstry... something I would like to avoid as the seats are in perfect shape.

Any other suggestions?
Old 06-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If you haven't already .... raise the seat bottom to max height, and spray down the tracks well with a light lube. ( BTW, often, just raising the seat will allow the forward motor to grab & move the seat). Fold down the seat back, and reach in & pull forward until your eyeballs begin to pop ..... while your helper delicately presses the forward button.
If you are uncommonly flexible, slide in back and plant both feet against the rear of the seat for the leg press of your life .... ditto on the tough job for your helper

My (manual) passenger seat was initially stuck .... and I had similar fun, for the objective in this case was to reset the seat in the rear holes: wife has long legs too ...
Old 06-27-2010, 06:15 PM
baca
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Their is a D.I.Y on the seat not moving back and worth on p-car.com.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:57 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by baca
Their is a D.I.Y on the seat not moving back and worth on p-car.com.
Focusing on the replacement of the drive shaft, yes. Not applicable as the drive shaft appears fine.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:09 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Try all of the above ... if none of this works bring out the big guns

You will need to remove the lower seat cushion to reach the allen bolts from directly above.
If you are not saving the seats you can be less careful about the removal procedure ...
Old 06-28-2010, 12:29 PM
si2t3m
Rennlist Member

Same here,

What i did:

Go buy a long but cheap screwdriver with the biggest Phillips screw head. Remove the drive cables on each side.

File down/grind down the screwdriver end so that it's the same size as the business end the drive cable.

Get the screwdriver end where the drive cable goes in the stuck rail and turn.

Voilà!!! an unstuck forward/backward rail mecanism

Reinstall drive cables and enjoy a working seat!

Seems like when the forward/backward rail mecanism goes to far back, it tightens up and the motor can't get this mecanism to get unstuck.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:04 PM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through this...there is a left and right side...one is fine the other is broke...manually turn one side...then use the motor to move the good side..do it evenly so it doesnt torque...takes forever...enjoy
Old 06-28-2010, 07:01 PM
michaelh993
Instructor

Burn the seat, thats a god one.
Went through this recently myself; felt so frustrated I was tempted to take a sawzall to it.
I eventually settled on two long regular tip screwdrivers. Move the seats up front and back, then remove the cables and the cable sleeves, insert the screwdrivers in each female receiver, and turn both in the same direction roughly equally so that the seat won't bind. It takes awhile and feels like your writsts may lock up from repetitive movements, but it works.

Once you have the bolts uncovered, be VERY careful not to strip one, or your frustration level will REALLY go through the roof.

Good luck and remember to breathe....
Michael
Old 06-29-2010, 11:02 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Well, I forgot to breathe, so I have one OEM 993 comfort seat and one 993 OEM comfort seat back.

Took a pry-bar directly to the left side shaft (the stuck one) and pulled it toward the inside of the seat - viola. Both shafts working. Shame I had already taken the business end of a razor to the seat bottom...

Stripped two of the six screws, cut a grove with a Dremel and used a large flat-head screwdriver to get em out (recommend magnetic if you have one - great for collecting all the bits of metal that the Dremel leaves behind).

Then I had a pint of DFH 90 Min IPA.

Kinda pissed I ruined one of the seats but my patience came to and end after two days.

Quick Reply: Can I BURN the passenger seat out of the car? (drive shaft stuck)