Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Need help on shipped damaged car

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 12:32 PM
baca
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you see the car before you bought it? That is way too much damage. You need to call the dealership that sold you the car, along with the transport company A.S.A.P. that rear bumper is gonna be over a grand to just to replace if you have to buy a new one, without it even being painted. Probably can fix the current bumper if you wanna go that route--but If the transport company or dealer is paying I would want a new one. I would take that car in to the porsche dealership to get fixed by all means so all O.E.M parts are used and send the bill to the transport company or the dealership that recommended the company after whoever is responsible agrees to pay for the car. You might need to contact your Local dmw agency and report the transport company/dealership if they give you the runaround--if they are the ones responsible. You might wanna try to stop payment on the car/transport till it's figured out who's gonna fix the car. Just my 2 cents
Old 06-20-2010, 01:34 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow... It looks like Someone "Ferris Bulered" the car. Did you check the milage when you got the car? Don't forget to record or document every correspondence with the parties involved. This might take awhile.

GL
Old 06-20-2010, 02:38 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

How much of a headache this becomes may boil down to the relationship the dealer has with the shipping company. Hopefully they have used this company before and stand behind the choice they made. Did you buy the 993 from a main dealer or a mom-and-pop operation?

Personally I would always choose the company myself after getting plenty of recommendations from firsthand experience. Going with the lowest denominator/price opens you up for problems....not saying that that this was the case here of course, as we're not privy to the discussions between the buyer and dealer.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMFG
That's a helluva hit. As mentioned, I would do a mileage check as soon as you can communicate with the dealer. That's more damage than I would expect from some errant move between trailers. I'd put money on someone joyriding it. I must say, you're taking it well. I would have been burning up the phone, and telling the driver to cool his heels until I got someone responsible on the phone, to at least acknowledge the damage.

I've shipped 7 or 8 cars in the last few years for myself and family members. I've used everything from low-dollar non-English-speaking outfits for cars I wasn't that worried about, to the top-shelf companies that are familiar to us here for the Porsche. I've never had any discernible damage, but I've been lucky. Check out http://www.transportreviews.com/ and read some of the reviews posted. It'll curl your hair.

Joyrides are common in this business. When I shipped my V70R out here from Minn., it showed up with about 20 extra miles on it from when it left the dealer. The shipping co. admitted switching trailers at their terminal (they dropped my car off to go get a Ferrari that obviously paid more), but they swore the keys were locked up in the office and nobody could have driven it. There was no apparent damage, and what really happened, I'll never know. It was over a Thanksgiving weekend, and I'm betting somebody took it home for a couple days. I do know that, at a lot of the more loosey-goosey outfits, if they break down 20 miles outside of town, they'll drop a car off the trailer and go get a part they need, rather than call a service truck. That stuff goes on all the time. I read a guy's post on another forum, about his Corvette being wrecked while being used this way. It's a shady industry where anything goes.

Best of luck, and don't be afraid to lawyer up if you have to.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:25 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That hit looks like the position and width of a ramp. I don't know, maybe not... odd type of damage either way. Wonder what type of hauler it was on?
Interesting...

Good luck to ya!
Old 06-20-2010, 07:24 PM
cxiaoga
Intermediate

1) I didn't see the car when I did the purchase. As the dealer respond, the pictures on the ad were taken 7-10 days ago before shipping. It also has rear bumper pictures. They are all perfect. And on his copy of bill of laden paperwork it shows that the damage was not there prior to shipping. He will contact with the transportation company.
2) The mileage now is over 200 miles more than the on the ad. I haven't check with the dealer yet. Before shipping I asked the dealer to take some pictures of the body.
3) My 964 got touched by a pickup on rear right corner, it costs over $2600 to fix. I think this 993 must be more than that because the rear bumper is a whole set and more expensive.
4) It's not main dealer.
5) I also noticed that the air compressor box is missing. The driver said that he opened the front hood looking for the battery to jump start.
6) It was on a open rack truck like most cars transported.
7) I fixed the flat tire. It's not an issue anymore.
8) I tried to persuade my wife to keep both. Now I am forced to sell anyone them.
Thank everyone showing your support and advice.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:49 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 979 Likes on 433 Posts

Most definitely not how to start off on a happy note. If you feel you're getting screwed by dealer or shipper, name BOTH parties. Good reputation takes years to build, much less to take away (minutes on the interwebz).
Old 06-21-2010, 02:21 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

So what's the word from the dealer? Hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:33 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow!! You don't name the shipping/transport company in your instance, as you should so that fellow Rennlisters here don't suffer the same experience.

Terrible situation you 're in, I hope you reach a resolution with all parties involved.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:39 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is wrong on so many levels ....
Old 06-21-2010, 08:49 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Certainly a case of caveat emptor and a reminder to anyone buying a vehicle remotely to do their homework and make their own arrangements. If it was me there's no way I'd sign off on the car until someone had accepted responsibility and it was clear the car was going to get fixed at a bodyshop of my choosing.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:58 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
If it was me there's no way I'd sign off on the car until someone had accepted responsibility and it was clear the car was going to get fixed at a bodyshop of my choosing.
X10
Old 06-21-2010, 09:29 PM
cxiaoga
Intermediate

1) No joyriding. The dealer responded that he drove 200 miles before shipping. He is a P-car owner also.
2) The Dealer has notified the transportation company and will do his best to insure the damage is payed for. He also sell Ferrari and some other exotic cars. I think he will take of this issue seriously.
3) Since the p-car is hard to find locally, both of my cars were purchased remotely. We will be worry about it until we see the car arrive safely.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:34 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Sounds like you lucked out and have a dealer who is both sensitive to the problem and willing to help make sure everything is resolved.

Now take the car to the best bodyshop in town (call the local high end dealers to see who they use) and get a quote. You should also get the insurance company details ASAP and have them provide you with a claim number.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:36 PM
cxiaoga
Intermediate

I will be very carefully mention the transportation. At least it's not searail.

Quick Reply: Need help on shipped damaged car