Need help on shipped damaged car

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 03:11 AM
cxiaoga
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on shipped damaged car

Greetings.
I need advice on this issue. I purchased a 993. The dealer used a transportation company and shipped the car. The car arrived at my home this morning and I found rear bumper, center tail light, rear corner light and exhaust tip got damaged. The engine lid misaligned and cannot open. One of new tires is flat. On the shipping description it doesn't show these issues when loaded to transportation company. I just wrote the damage on the receipt and send email to the dealer. What I need to do next? Thanks.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:00 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The shipping company is responsible to make it right so you will need to deal with them directly unless the dealer is willing to take on the matter. I had a Jeep shipped and there was damage to the rear bumper when it arrived that was not on the pre-shipping inspection report. Talk to the shipping company and find out what their procedure is for filing a claim. They should send someone out to inspect and confirm, then cut you a check.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:34 AM
cxiaoga
Intermediate

Thank you so much for the advice. Several years ago when I got my 964 delivered the front bumper got a big scratch. I talked to dealer and he wanted me send the pictures. Since it's not big deal I just didn't bother anymore. This time it's pretty serious. It's a beauty anyway and wider than 964.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:19 AM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

Rear engine lid "misaligned"
how can they have done so much damage!!!!
I don't mean to upset you, but I would would not have accepted possesion of the car. You should have told them to take it back to the dealer.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:57 PM
cxiaoga
Intermediate

I didn't know I have the other option to not accept the car. My 964 rear right bumper got touched by a pickup a couple of years ago. The engine lid showed the same misalignment and got fixed by the body shop.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:09 PM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

For it not to open, I imagined that it was a severe impact to misalign the bootlid. I would be very upset if I had just taken delivery of my new pride and joy to see this. Without seeing photos it's hard to judge. If you feel it can be repaired properly, then deal with the shipping company direct to get this resolved.
Good luck.

Last edited by Bouzoukikid; 06-19-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:35 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

care to reveal the name of the shipping company? sounds like someone to avoid.....the RL community will appreciate it!
Old 06-19-2010, 07:24 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

eeeek! I have a car being delivered/shipped to my house in 2 HOURS from now......sure wish I would not have read this post
Old 06-19-2010, 09:54 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

Parnelli: I wouldn't worry - depending on who you used.

I've shipped three cars without incident, but I've used a reputable company and paid for enclosed shipping every time. You may save a couple of hundred bucks using a broker who contracts out to an unknown driver, but you have a good risk of paying more in the end.

OP- Hopefully the company that you used will stand behind what they did and make it right so you can get on to enjoying your car.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Tango Foxtrot
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the shipper happen to be searail?
Old 06-19-2010, 10:48 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by cxiaoga
I just wrote the damage on the receipt and send email to the dealer.
Your expectations must have been pretty low......

Andreas
Old 06-20-2010, 03:39 AM
cxiaoga
Intermediate

I talked to the driver who delivered the car to my home. He said that it is the same as he pick it up. He also called the driver before him and said the same thing. He suggested that I need to contact the broker. Actually I couldn't find the broker. I called his phone several times before and it's just the voice mail. It's the seller (dealer) who found the broker. I fixed the flat tire anyway(a punched nail).
Attached Images      
Old 06-20-2010, 06:51 AM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

You sound like a nice guy and you were far too soft on them. As Andrea's said you need to have higher expectations . They are denying responsibility and things may get complicated.
It's seems like they reversed into a corner of a wall. How they managed to get a nail in your new tyre and drive on it I don't understand (polished nail).
It will not be a cheap repair, certainly far more than the cost of transportation. I hope you get justice.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:17 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

My sister purchased a new Audi TT from a dealer in OK. The car was shipped to her in NC. Upon delivery, her husband found some damage to the lower, painted, area of the front bumper. The driver was very nice about everything, provided his own cell number, etc.

Long story short - the driver never returned phone calls, the transport company never returned phone calls, and it took an attorney's letter to persuade the dealer to pay for damages. This bull**** took months and untold phone calls to handle.

My brother in law was very close to driving the car back to OK and shoving it through the showroom window...

Andreas
Old 06-20-2010, 11:05 AM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry that you're having to go through something like this. No one should have to begin car ownership and deal with problems caused by the negligence of others. The fact they appear evasive and uncommunicative isn't helping.

Since the dealer selected the shipping company you are probably better off contacting them first thing Mon morning if you haven't already done so. Explain the situation, their refusal to accept responsibility and the difficulty you're having establishing a dialog to resolve the matter. I assume you paid cash on delivery. If by any chance you paid with a check, put a stop on it through your bank until this mess is cleared up. If you made a CC payment to the dealer contact your CC company and initiate a dispute. The bad thing here is that the repair costs will almost certainly exceed the shipping charge. The shippers insurance needs to be involved.

Saying it was like this when they picked it up is bs. You should have a copy of the bill of lading that indicates ALL the imperfections at the time of pickup. The driver has to sign this before he gets the keys.

That car took quite a wack. Get a quote from a good bodyshop with experience working on highend cars. Good luck and keep us up to date on progress.

Quick Reply: Need help on shipped damaged car