Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

All Season Tires!

Old 05-21-2010, 08:42 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Michelin Pilot Sport AS+. Awesome in the rain, played in the snow one time this winter for fun and they were great. Dry weather traction is way better than the like new POS HTRZII's I have on an extra set of wheels. Everyone here loves the Sumi 3's but I can't bring myself to buy discount tires for a car that barely see's 5,000 miles a year. I've tried most every brand of tires on all kinds of cars and Michelin and Bridgestone have always been my favorites no matter the price. The sidewalls on the AS+ flex a little more than ultra high performance summer tires but that makes them more compliant on bad roads and they are very quiet. I have decided to run them all year and put some kind of R compound or dry only on the other wheels just for DE and dry-only fun runs.

Hope this helps, and keep in mind it is a public forum.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:54 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the Michelin PS AS+'s so much on the Carrera that I bought 16" 968 wheels for the 944S so I could run them on that car too. Both cars will do 70 miles of daily driving from time to time, all seasons, all weather. But in winter, they do both get Pilot Alpins.
I have to say, the PS AS+'s are noisy when over 80mph (whine), but only on the Carrera, not on the 944. Who knows.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hands down... The Pirelli P-zero Rossos. Quiet on the highway. Rides smother then most tires. They don't Bang over bumps. Good in the rain. Not the Assemetricos. The HTZR III are a good sporty tire but not something I would consider lapping with. The S-O3s get slippery and melt when lapping. Mich Sport cups are the best for hard driving but suck in the rain.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...the PS AS+'s are noisy...gtroth
This is my experience, as well, and I've switched to summer tires.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think people here are trying to help you. I think you need to check your attitude and realize you asked a bunch of people you don't know for some advice you don't have to take.

I must say +1 to Reddy's comments. I currently live in Germany and before that I lived in Northwestern Illinois. Before I moved here I drove my 993 on the snow and ice with summer tires (Michelin PS2s) exactly twice and regretted exactly twice.

I now run dedicated winter tires. I put them on around Halloween and take them off around Easter.

BTW, if you really want to feel dumb about even considering running summer tires in the winter, send Joel Rieser an email. You will hear much the same thing.

--Joe
Old 05-22-2010, 03:19 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
and if this post reflects your typical tone I'm thankful for that reason
+993.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:14 PM
PD2FLY
Rennlist Member

Thank you, almost all, for your input. Slow getting back as I'm in Kobe Japan on a layover. Pilot AS+ maybe the way I go on this. A little concerned about the noise complaint but like all in life. Its a give and take. All this kinda makes the Tire Rack reports creditable(?) I like getting the opinions from 993 users. Thanks again.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:27 AM
johzev
Rennlist Member

Default All Season Tires - Looking for update

I'm about to purchase tires for a set of oem 17" cups. I have dedicated snow tires/wheels and a set of high performance summer tires/wheels.

Now, I'm wanting to equip some cups with a tire I will use on extended road trips and need to be prepared for any type of weather including snow. ride quality and noise are both important to me.

I'm thinking about Continental ExtremeContact All Season in oem size. I know some of you might consider this an abomination. But consider that I'm planning to do some long distance travel and want to enjoy the sporting nature of the car and be comfortable.

What would be good alternatives to the Continentals?
Old 02-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts
Default all season tires

Conti DWS--just inflate 2-3lbs. more than your "normal" fill.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:44 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Read my posts on the new Conti DWS. Side-by-side they are almost PS2 level in dry and wet, but perform very well in the cold / snow. The new Wunder-Tire! Very reasonably priced too. Have had them since they came out on my 330i, very happy almost 2 years later.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:05 PM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonCT
Read my posts on the new Conti DWS. Side-by-side they are almost PS2 level in dry and wet, but perform very well in the cold / snow. The new Wunder-Tire! Very reasonably priced too. Have had them since they came out on my 330i, very happy almost 2 years later.
+1 DWS's are a very nice compromise.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:09 PM
PD2FLY
Rennlist Member

Thanks all! Put DWS's on last spring. Much improvement over SO3's. Dry and wet! Smooth break away at limit, great in rain. Don't know about snow yet and they are VERY quiet.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:48 PM
johzev
Rennlist Member

Great feedback. It will be DWS for my newly refurbed cups. I know they are a compromise but enough positive feedback also tells me they are not a total disaster. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rsr91128
Michelin Pilot Sport AS+. Awesome in the rain, played in the snow one time this winter for fun and they were great. Dry weather traction is way better than the like new POS HTRZII's I have on an extra set of wheels. Everyone here loves the Sumi 3's but I can't bring myself to buy discount tires for a car that barely see's 5,000 miles a year. I've tried most every brand of tires on all kinds of cars and Michelin and Bridgestone have always been my favorites no matter the price. The sidewalls on the AS+ flex a little more than ultra high performance summer tires but that makes them more compliant on bad roads and they are very quiet. I have decided to run them all year and put some kind of R compound or dry only on the other wheels just for DE and dry-only fun runs.

Hope this helps, and keep in mind it is a public forum.
+ 4 (or is it 5?)

No problem with noise on mine. Rain traction is outstanding, no issues. I don't need snow tires since it rarely snows here and I don't drive the 993 when it does but I do drive the 993 when the temps are in the 20's. I'm very happy with the M PS A/S+'s. However I have heard many people rave about the DWS' so I may give them a try next.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:33 PM
PD2FLY
Rennlist Member

Off of this board for sometime. Busy dealing with and retiring from Delta! An update on the DWS's. All-around a good tire very quiet but tend to be a bit mushy in the summer. Put Bridgestone's on girlfriends SC430 and daughters A4 Quattro. Better tire,wish I had them on the C4.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All Season Tires!