Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads-up for some of you BMW 3-series owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 01:41 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went to start mine today and the starter has apparently crapped out. This will be my last BMW. I've had it 6 months and at 65k miles I've already rebuilt the front end, replaced the overflow tank on the radiator, spent hours trying to find a leak that turned out the be the oil filter housing assembly, the right side passenger window has developed a clunk in it, and now the starter has failed. Not to mention worrying about the rear suspension or transmission.

Last edited by 1pcarnut; 05-04-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:13 AM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done all those things except the starter. Has 125,000 miles now. Guess I better get the subframe inspected.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:43 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have owned this one for 3 years and literally not spent a dime on it. Fantastic car for summer fun.
Attached Images  
Old 05-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I've driven my E46 coupe for 10 years and 171,000 miles as a daily driver. No sub-frame problems and have replaced the typical problamatic parts. The car overall has been fantastic. On the other hand my daughter has an E46 4 door that constantly has problems. My E90 was in the shop twice as much as my E46, so I sold it when the warranty was up. If you can work on these cars yourself, they are not that costly to drive.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:05 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

I bought this car knowing some of the standard issues like the overflow tank, cooling system weakness, window regulators that fail, front suspension that wears out prematurely and a few others. They are a great driving car and I figured since I can work on it myself I'd be okay. When I got the car I went through all the things I knew to be weak but there gets a point where you get fed up. I'm at that point. I don't want to be worrying about the transmission or frame. The other stuff was peripheral but now I've been stranded with a motor that wouldn't start and it was not much fun. I've got a friend with the nearly identical sportwagon and his has been pretty much bullet proof, no issues at 80k miles. I seem to be cursed with my BMWs, so no more.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Yep, the wear and tear items do end up taking some time, but it's a great daily driver. Our 5 speed manual wagon has been doing the kid shuffle, grocery haul-asser, go everywhere car for the last 5 years.

Been dragging my feet to bring the car in for inspection because it has, er, an alternate suspension system in there right now (Eibach Coilovers, there I said it). Hope BMW doesn't see this...Doh!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:13 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems there are 2 camps...breakers and tanks. My 330i (ZXP) manual has had a few problems but overall it always runs and drives great. I know some people personally who really know cars and think these are the worst ever. My wife and I are perplexed at this because it seems to do everything well.
(Engine, brakes, handling and overall enjoyability).
I do think it is time for an inspection though...thanks for the reminder.

PS. A guy put the "If you want to sell your car, call me!" note on our windsheild. Maybe I should call him...I bet I can get a great price!!!
Attached Images  
Old 05-05-2010, 03:45 AM
TxnBluDvl
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

No wonder someone left a note -- that's a ZHP, they've almost achieved a cult status among E46 enthusiasts.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:48 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TxnBluDvl
No wonder someone left a note -- that's a ZHP, they've almost achieved a cult status among E46 enthusiasts.
Yeah, I was bummed out that they offered the ZHP package the year after I bought my 330i (although I did get the ZSP)

Quick Reply: Heads-up for some of you BMW 3-series owners