Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Looking to get a 993... lots of questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:35 AM
DaveE30
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get a 993... lots of questions...

New to this forum here, I've been told that this is the place to go for questions on the 993.

I've wanted a 993 for the past 3 years, and finally have decided that I likely will buy one in the next 6 months or so. But I'm new to Porsches, and therefore have lots of questions. I'll probably buy the "Essential Companion" book before I dive in, but would love to see an online guide. What are some things to look for, as in, what are major repairs and services that must be examined?

Briefly, is the C2 or C4 (non-S) model generally more desireable? I live in SoCal, where there's no snow and it doesn't rain much. Besides, I won't be driving this car in bad weather, so 4WD isn't a priority. How's the handling different on dry roads? I remember reading something about snap oversteer in RWD models and thought it referred to the 993... did I read that right?
Old 03-24-2010, 08:01 AM
tommyg
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This may be of help: 101606 993 Inspection Tips.doc Good luck!
Old 03-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Dave, I don't have experience w/ the C4, but my C2 is very well planted in dry conditions. If you plan on any track time, stick w/ RWD.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:40 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I have very limited time in a C4, so I may be way off. But, I have read, and my experience was that the C4 steering feels a little less "connected" to the road than the C2, which is amazing. i really didn't notice any handling differences in normal street driving. if it were me, I'd get the best car I could find/afford regardless of weather it was a C2 or C4.
Streather's book is excellent. It has the problem areas pretty well covered. These cars are bulletproof as long as they are maintained. For me, a car without service history, and the records to prove it, is too big a gamble. A neglected car can cost big money to sort out.
Good hunting!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:17 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveE30
What are some things to look for, as in, what are major repairs and services that must be examined?
You don't need to have a major repair in order for this car to cost you money. Something as simple as replacing the seals on all four valve covers and replacing the spark plugs can cost you enough if you don't perform any of the work yourself.

If you want all maintenance items done (something I always do when buying a used car), set aside about $1000 to $1500 and that is with you performing all the work.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:19 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The 'S' models CarreraS and Carrera4S were made in fewer numbers, making them a little more desireable in many cases demanding more money than the standard body car. Whichever 993 model you decide on, you can't go wrong. Be patient and good luck!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:56 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my C2 last September and got very lucky. The Essential Companion is good, but not as good as the guys on this forum, who will help you along the process. I had done some research, but really just found the car I wanted (after 2.5 years of search) and had a good seller who really cared for the car. THEN I found Rennlisters.

I'd be happy to talk for as long as you like if that would help. Call at 937-424-0209. We're on EST and mornings are best.

Good luck.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:55 AM
Sean Hamilton
Instructor

Originally Posted by DaveE30
.................What are some things to look for, as in, what are major repairs and services that must be examined.........?
As I did for my SC, imediately after purchase of my 993:
1. Dropped the engine and trans and resealed both and while out did the major service,
2. Overhauled the streering rack, tightened suspension rod ends etc,
3. Replaced all brake rotors and new pads.

The 993's are getting on a bit now so the upfront service $$$ spent is well worth it = a total joy to drive as originally intended.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:22 PM
verhag
Pro

Bought mine back in October 09. Struggled with C2 or C4, but knew I wanted the wide body S. Finally decided to buy whatever I came across first, C2s or C4s, for the right money, right mods. It ended up being a 97C4S. You may notice posts on this forum from time to time, pointing out extra weight or handling concerns regarding the C4. Well, I've put on 4000 miles now, AZ mountain roads, and this C4S handles beautifully. I have zero regrets. If I had intended to seriously track or autocross the car, maybe I would have held out for the C2, but again, this C4S is quick to respond, goes exactly where I point it and gets there fast. I have as good of weather as one could hope to have here in AZ and I still feel I lucked out by finding the C4S first. This forum and it's members are without a doubt the most valuable resource you will have for your car.
Denny
Old 03-24-2010, 01:48 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

I would venture to say that for most, either a C2 or a C4 is more car than you are driver. There are differences, for sure, but not so much that a talented driver with a C4 cannot easily run rings around a less talented driver in a C2.

I live in Southern California too, and my advice is get the best possible example you can find. In my case it just so happened to be a C4S, and I have no regrets.

The first thing to do when you find the car you want is the most important: make sure you get a PPI first before you buy it. Good luck. The search for the perfect car is half the fun!
Old 03-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

for the most part, AWD is unnecessary in So Cal, as it doesn't rain that much, and we do not get snow.
If you plan to drive to wetter spots and or to the snow, however, it might be a good idea.

IF a great C4 or C4S came up and it was priced right though, I probably wouldn't pass it up though.

The first thing is to decide on your price range, and remember to budget for anything that may need immediate attention.
C2s will be generally the easiest and most available, the S models, either C4S or C2S will be more rare, as there simply were not as many made. And then 993Turbo is King!

you will also have to decide if you want a cab, targa or coupe. Tiptronic or manual.

The 95 has OBD I, whereas 96-98 will have OBD II and varioram. Searching this forum will give you more information than you can imagine on the subject.

Desirability is all personal, MOST of us prefer the 6 speed manual, although for some the tip is their preference. so you need to decide what YOU want, or if it even matters.

Color was not one of my priorities, a good sound mechanical example was highest, then I wanted some options like LSD and ABD, fortunately I also found a C2 that had the aluminum shifter and ebrake. AND it was in good condition, sound mechanics etc... even had M030 springs already.

You are in good shape by having found this forum, so read as much as you can, there is a TON to search, and when you do purchase, be sure to post pics, that is the only MANDATORY requirement we have around here.

There are lots of So Cal 993 Rennlisters and all the ones I have personally met are great people, so come on in, the water is warm!
Old 03-24-2010, 02:10 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have not spent alot of time in a C4, but as all the previous posts have indicated, it does not appear to be a big factor in the desireability. When introduced, the 993 rear suspension was redesigned and made it the best handling of the "true" 911s (the aircooled bunch), dealing with the oversteer that has plagued 911s since the 60s.

The S's do seem to bring a bit more money due to the rarity, but I remember a few years ago, the S's were out of style - the higher drag due to larger frontal area I believe was the major complaint. I wanted a cab, so I never had to make that choice.

The best is to find a car that has been well cared for with service records - and it is worth extra money to get a babied car. The SAI system on the 96-98 cars can lead to a check engine light that will not allow them to pass smog - especially important in SoCal. This is due to air injection ports clogging possibly due to leaking valve guides. 95s have the same issue, but the OBD1 computer does not throw a CEL.

Find a car that you like with the options you want. They are great cars.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:14 PM
DaveE30
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys!!

A couple more questions, if you don't mind--

First, I'm aware that the C4S is basically the "Turbo" model minus the turbo engine. But my understanding is that the only thing that separates the C2S from the C2 is the wider body; same brakes and suspension. Is this correct?

Second, I've read that '96+ cars are rated at a higher HP rating but have a "Varioram" engine. Can someone give a brief rundown on what that means, and why some folks prefer the earlier models? Also, what makes OBD1 preferable to OBD2? Thanks again.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:25 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

The C4S is not quite the Turbo minus turbos. What it does share is the bodywork, AWD, 4 channel ABS and brakes. The transmission and suspension are different. It also comes with fewer standard options (such as rear wiper).

The C2S is the same as a C2 but with a wider body, turbo front bumper, and a split rear grille. There were far less of them produced and they are more desirable these days.

Varioram increases torque by 25% in the low and mid range, so even though it's rated at only 7hp increase, the difference is definitely there.

OBD1 is a simple diagnostic system compared to OBD2 and the benefit is that you have fewer fault codes to deal with, you don't have to do drive cycles before passing inspection (if the battery's been disconnected), and you also don't have issues with clogging SAI ports. That last part has been very costly in the past (engine rebuild), but in the last few years there have been several work around methods to flushing the ports.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

don't let the possibility of the CEL scare you. IT WILL HAPPEN, the first time it will scare the bejessus out of you, and thoughts of a $10K rebuild will go through your mind. Most of the time, it won't be THAT bad, although it COULD be, but with some homework, you can minimize your risk.
The worst thing about the 96-98 is the potential for clogged SAI ports the dreaded P0411/P1410 codes I believe. I have had both. First I flushed both sides with solvent, that didn't quite do the trick, so I had them roto-rootered with the bass guitar string procedure that amfab documented.

that was back in nov/dec, and my CEL has not come back on since. (cross fingers)

OBD I isn't immune from the SAI CEL, it just doesn't report it so you can still pass smog, but the ports can still get clogged.

If you can find a car that has had the valve guides redone with the upgraded/harder material, that is a bonus, there are probably a fair number of cars on the road now that have been done.

Not sure where in So Cal you are, but if you are in the South Bay, Tony Callas's shop is highly recommended for PPIs, and Tony is an absolute guru when it comes to 993s. I take my car to Derick at Lomita 911, as I have taken cars to him for 20+ years. There are plenty of others as well, depending on your local, OC or Valley.

You will also get to know Darin at West End for alignments.

Quick Reply: Looking to get a 993... lots of questions...