Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire flat spots versus alignment... how to tell?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 02:07 PM
Swanson11
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
It's only a 10year old thread! I think you could have got away with creating a new thread!
For sure! But someone always seems to get mad that one didn't "search" enough before making a new thread. lol

ANYWAY... I'll give the over-inflation suggestion a try since its something 'free' before spending out on new tires. What's generally considered a safe amount (percentage) to over-inflate?
Old 04-15-2020, 02:19 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 239 Posts

Seriously, if the flat spotting hasn't worked out in 100 miles of normal driving then you are wasting you time. Overinflating is for storage purposes and not driving. No way I'd be doing a "tire heat up and flat spot correction" run on flat spotted tires with 50 psi in them.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:59 PM
Swanson11
Advanced

Originally Posted by mike cap
Seriously, if the flat spotting hasn't worked out in 100 miles of normal driving then you are wasting you time. Overinflating is for storage purposes and not driving. No way I'd be doing a "tire heat up and flat spot correction" run on flat spotted tires with 50 psi in them.
Mike, just out of curiosity, why not try? I mean a set of new tires is expensive and other than an annoying bumpiness caused by the flat spot(s), other than wasting time, do you see this as a safety concern?
Old 04-15-2020, 03:30 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Swanson11
Mike, just out of curiosity, why not try? I mean a set of new tires is expensive and other than an annoying bumpiness caused by the flat spot(s), other than wasting time, do you see this as a safety concern?
Swanson, I guess you could try it. I just know it won't work if you've already tried 100 miles at normal PSI. Most tires have a maximum inflation pressure of 50 psi, so I suppose if you did a drive starting at 45 psi you'd be ok - figure a 10% psi increase as normal on warmup.

I'd just take it real easy and stay straight and level all the time. My concern is safety yes, of course.

Definitely don't drive them at 1/2 psi.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:41 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts

What exactly is “high speed on car balancing” ? Is this some new...better than road force balancing technique that I simply do not know about?

I would have the wheels removed, and the balance checked on a traditional road force balance machine. No balance, or balancer is idiot proof.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:56 PM
Swanson11
Advanced

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
What exactly is “high speed on car balancing” ? Is this some new...better than road force balancing technique that I simply do not know about?
Here ya go: https://www.butlertire.com/services/...heel_Balancing
Old 04-16-2020, 09:40 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Swanson11
their explanation didn’t really do it for me...just wasted 10 minutes searching for a video of the equipment used, and scanned feedback from other forums. Honestly, I am not seeing how this is superior from a true road force balance. Sure if you have some other driveline issue, and want to minimize that. I didn’t see any good video that showed what equipment that Butler was using...hopefully it was more modern than what other videos I saw.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:03 AM
Swanson11
Advanced

Magdaddy, I certainly wouldn't disagree. I've no idea whether on-car-high-speed balancing is more or less superior to road force balancing. Posted that link to answer your inquiry and because that's the shop I went to and I've had good luck with them for years. I think your suggestion is sound and gives me another option - so I'll likely try road force balancing as well before throwing away the tires.

Quick Reply: Tire flat spots versus alignment... how to tell?