Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Self Gratification with Pictures - Outlaw 993 - Updated with Dec 2010 Mods!

Old 06-17-2010, 03:14 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh man, this thread just confirms my love for these cars.. Stunning!
Old 06-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Fünfer
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to bookmark this thread. That gives you lots of ideas of what to do next. The opportunities are endless!
Great job!
Old 06-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks folks.

Will post some professional type images of the car in September once August round of works are complete.

When lotto win occurs Motorsport LSD, Secondary GT oil cooler, Turbo/RS brake upgrade......plenty of time :-)

Cheers
M
Old 07-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lucky me I missed that thread for so long! This is not a slippery slope here, it is a free fall!
Macca your car is stunning. I really like some of your mods, with each bringing some more elegance. I wish you win the lottery to see the rest coming.
Where did you find your automatic windows switching?

Congratulations!
Old 07-13-2010, 06:35 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

JP. I must say your 993 is looking wicked with those CF wheels. Nice spec too. You must have won lotto yourself!

The automatic window switching on drivers side is one of the must useful mods I have made to date and not expensive either. I installed this 6 years ago so my memory is hazy but i believe I got it from Pelican parts. Around 100 bucks if I recall.

If I really did win lotto I would be bringing forward my 9M stage 2 3.8l conversion to yesterday :-), buying those wheels you have, putting on a lightweight alloy RS bonnet and stay, chucking in some carbon backed race bucket seats and enjoying a 360-370 bhp beast weighing 1300 kg :-). By my recogning thats powerto weight ratio around the same as Mk2 997 GT3 :-)

Cheers
Old 07-13-2010, 09:01 PM
ozpilot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macca

Just came across this thread so forgive me if my questions have been asked in the previous 6 pages. Where did you get you HID kit from?

Did you do the fogs as well as the mains?

Thanks

John
Old 07-13-2010, 09:09 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi There John,

Yes I did do the Techart fog lights with 35W HID when recently installing them. I used a kit from Gert at carnewal.com for this. It had digital ballasts and was made in China or Taiwan. Cheap at around 100 bucks. I decided after install that the colour of the bulbs was too blue so got on my local auction site and found dozens of vendors selling the same kit under various brand names. I bought two replacement HID bulbs (whiter light temp) with identical harnesses for like 30 bucks! t the price these are today I would say buy anything and a spare - if oneof the components fails just plug and play to replace the parts. In anothe years time these will be 50 bucks a kit I suspect! They are great tho and so good for visibility and durability.

I did the main headlamps in HID 6 years ago before the invention of small digital ballasts. As such I had to use the larger boxes like the fcatory on teh inside fenders. They have been bullet proof (the boxes were Philips) and I suspect will last forever and be of far higher qulity than the digital ones but they were 2-3 x more expensive and take up alot of room (read - not plug and play). Time and technology have moved on and too your advantage too....

I hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 07-14-2010, 07:41 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Macca! I'll search there.
Ok I run to the shop and register my 6 figures for next saturday lottery

Cheers
Old 07-14-2010, 10:26 AM
ozpilot
Intermediate

Thanks Macca! That helps a lot.

Cheers
Old 09-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi All,

This month saw the installation (finally) of the latest round of modifications that have been lurking awaiting fitment. I alluded to many of these earlier in the thread.

Overall I have been very happy with the outcome. I also put the car on a Dynapack Dyno and got a conservative set of data points for HP, torque and AFRs for the car. The outcome was extremely positive demonstrating that there has indeed been a net improvement in the performance of my 993 over the course of all these modifications. Taking into account a medium miles (44k miles) 17 year old engine thats never been opened, needless to say I was very happy with approx 290bhp and 260lbft for a NVR car, You can read about that and see the pictures on another thread I just put up....

I finally got the vehicle put on the scales again as well. Including new the CF bucket seats the "wet weight" (all fluids and 50% fuel and all normal stuff that would be in my car such as CDs, Bluetooth portable car kit, first aid kit, spare tire, pump, manual and stuff) the end result was 1335 kg (2937 lbs). Given this is a sunroof car with air con, full door cards, upgraded stereo, 18" wheels, turbo bumper with techart fogs, full HIDs, carbon interior, auto rain sensor wipers and dipping mirrors and all the mod cons (auto window lifters etc), factory headlight washer system and 6 liter resevior, rear seats, overmats etc I was fairly happy.....The target in the future will be perhaps to feather that down to 1320kg or 2900lb in similar trim with no compromises to useability....depending of course on the cost to acquire these reductions...

This round saw the following mods followed by my commentary:

1). Dach X catless pipe install. This was a 8/10 bang for buck. Made the car sound VERY nice with the RSR rear mufflers. Improved throttle response and reduced weight by around 7-10 kg.

2). Border CF backed SP5 recaro style bucket seats trimmed in classic grey leather with contrast silver grey stitching including generic slider system and side brackets. These were relatively cheap and they are suited to a slightly larger driver than the Recaro PP and their kin, good for someone up to 6'2" and100kg (220lb). Slightly wider base while remaining fairly upright and with a shoulder forward driving postion. I was very lucky with these, when I got into them they felt like a glove with my hands, seat and shoulders being optimally positioned. Possibly just lucky. Very light weighing 10kg less including brackets and sliders than my previous sport seats they were good for a afir weight saving too. Cheap at 1300 usd landed airfeight (in full standard black leather), they are one of the better quality seats available of their type weighing 7.3kg seats only with real CF shell. The feel rock solid firm with little/no flex when installed. Ridged and strong the workmanship is at least 8/10. You can order suede type inserts (which I will be doing shortly in grey). Havent figured out how to mount my extingusher and bracket yet (saving a further 3kg+!). Border I believe also make a line called "bride" used in the Jap tuner circles. They are a Taiwanese company and excellent to deal with (Chloe their sales girl has excellent english and is very helpful). They make an FIA approved SP4 (slighy smaller base) for an extra 2-300usd. You sit nice and snug in these seats, they give extra feedback form the engine and transmission and you honestly feel like drivig faster in them - the car just seems so much more "chuckable"! I loved the two 35 minute stints I did in them. The only thing I would say is that for trips of 1 hour plus they could become less comfortable given they dont have lumber supports build in like comfort seats. They are also a little harder to get in and out of!

3). Factory CF 5 piece dash kit. Marcus offered me a RHD set of these which are hard to come by. The price was fairand as I already had all the other factory CF in teh car I grabbed them to complete the set. Im a sucker for real CF LOL!

4). CF under carriage transmission shift tunnel cover and fuel pump cover. These are ex Marcus - race car parts in raw unpreg CF, save 3+ kg. I just liked them and he gave me a great price....may as well throw them on the order ex Germany! Very questionable bang for buck here unless you are a weight saving freak....

5). CF RS Heater bypass pipe. Again Marcus supplied this and unlike some manufacturers product it fitted within 20 mins! I dud buy a new early shroud as mine was old. Looks lovely, saved 3-4kg. Marcus price was good too. I was concerned about compromise to HVAC in my early 993. I have driven 3-4 hours in various temps and conditions with tis mod and it takes a while to learn how the HVAC CCU now functions. Basically I can have either aircon blasting from mild to full tit - this is controlled simply via turning the temp dial. Doesn change the temp - its full a/c - just chages the velocity of air. The 1-4 speed dial beocmes redundant as does the extra boost a/c button. The only other alternative is heat which ranges from light warm to very warm but basically only has two speed using the 1-4 speed dial. Either 1 which is slow or 2,3,4 which is the equivalent of 2 before. basically you cant mix air con and heat. So you either warm the inetrior of the car or you cool it. In tems around 8-16 celcius like the days I used it you have to learn to aternate a/c with heat manually otherwise your windows will eventually fog. Not sure yet if this is a livable solution or if its more pratical to revert back to the heavier blower - time will tell but as its a fair weather car often driven with window or sunroof open I doubt it will have a large pratical impact on useage. Make the engine bay look tidier...

6). New alloy pedals anodised black. Was never sure on ally pedals. these however have a diamond stud finish and grip better than any Ive seen. They also look subtle and are of top quality. I really was suprised and happy with the way they looked, felt and performed!

7). Repainted alternator fan and shroud. I had the fan matched to teh wheels and other highlights of the car in Steel grey P61W. The shroud was in Audi R1 silver grey used on the R8. I love the look finally cleans up the engine bay. I had the front and rear bearings replaced at the same time while all the gear was out as it made sense due to labour charges.

8). New factory Bosch MAF. Now this may have been the best $300 Ive spent on the car in recent years. 17 years and various air intake configs including Pod and K&N panel filter and I wasnt suprised when a mate with a multimeter tested the resistenace of teh MAF and said it was likely shot. Replaced it and the car immediately improved in pick up, throttle reponse and performance!

9). Open airbox. I already had the Mortorsport airbox cover but decided to open it up with the dremel. Cheap treat which improved airflow a bit and intake sound....

10). Odyssey PC925 AGM Battery with Rennline Brace kit and optional cut off switch. This hardly needs an intro. Saved lots of weight, saves space, looks gorgeous and now I can simply cut the power to the car and store indefinately when Im not using the 993! Lovely!

11). Wieltmeister front shifting rod. This was given to me by a friend. Its a hiem jointed rod. Id already done the golden rod (great) and RS shifter. They made a huge difference. This front rod was more for reliability. When they popped the old rod off the inner nylon sleeve was cracked and only moments away from disintegrating and leaving me stranded! The only downside from this set up it that the gear shifter becomes more firm in te neutral position and not as "springy" as the factory set up (due to the heim joints). Thats not really any real disadvantage. I wouldnt shell out the for the expensive Wieltmeister option myself but the guys at Fister have a good solution thats better value or simply have your ball jointed piece shecked and a new sleeve put in as preventative miantenance....

Anyway thats about it. There were a few smaller tweaks made as well. However I must say that at the end of what has been a busy year making changes to the car, mechanically speaking shes now never been in ruder health. lighter, more power, freer reving with better handling and response - it all seems to have been worth it in that regard. Cosmetcis are something still being refined and decided on....

Enjoy the pics.....
Attached Images              

Last edited by Macca; 09-20-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:11 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 243 Posts

More great mods Macca. It just gets better & better! One of my favorites.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

And a few more....
Attached Images     
Old 09-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Ok. Last few now....
Attached Images     
Old 09-20-2010, 08:37 AM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! very nice! My car wants to be like yours when she grows up.

Do you know if the carbon shift **** comes apart? I bought one and it needs to be refinished.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:49 AM
firesm
Pro

Great post and pictures! Very informative and well laid out.

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Self Gratification with Pictures - Outlaw 993 - Updated with Dec 2010 Mods!