Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Has Uwe Gemballa been kidnapped???

Old 02-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Ray Wert
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For starters, we obviously all want to see Uwe Gemballa resurface safely, but there's no evidence to indicate Uwe's been kidnapped. The Bild.de story his friends point to does not have evidence backing up the claims it's making and is closer to "unsubstantiated trash" than our stories written at Jalopnik. Bild.de's story -- all of four paragraphs long -- has no direct quotes from police or other third party sources and provides no information beyond that seemingly provided by Gemballa's wife. It makes assertions like "obviously it was Johannesburg's criminal element" who kidnapped him. "Obviously?" Really? Frankly, it reads more like a press release than an actual news story.

The facts: Nobody seems to know where Uwe is. In addition to speaking with other third-party sources, we called Gemballa on Thursday and spoke with them. Gemballa's employees have no idea where he is. They did not claim Uwe was kidnapped.

What they did say is police were on-site looking for him and apparently cataloging inventory and equipment. Those actions appear to be strange actions for a kidnapping case.

Uwe's wife claims Uwe called her with a ransom demand. No police have catalogued a demand and none are treating this as a kidnapping either in Europe or in South Africa. The German police have catalogued it as a missing person case. That's curious, especially if, as is claimed without evidence by the Bild.de article, Interpol has taken over. Interpol likely wouldn't allow the German police to be running an investigation on top of theirs. Nor would they be interested in having Uwe's wife talking to Bild.de about the matter.

This whole thing feels very suspicious and seems to have more loose ends the further we follow it.

Ray Wert
Jalopnik.com
Old 02-20-2010, 02:52 PM
trevor townsend
Instructor

Just like to add something to these comments. This story has been mentioned in the local motoring press. Seems it is a bit of a mystery to the regular dailies who are always ready to report on any "news" of this sort. No chance of a cover up. If it's newsworthy it will get reported.
The mention in the motor mag mentioned a tie up with possible fraud investigation in Germany. All very unclear at this time.
What does cause a bit bad odor is the fantastic report on our crime stats.
Wow, when last did you visit SA? I know of RL'ers who have travelled throughout the country and had a wonderful holiday. I've lived here for 70 years and seen huge changes for the better.
And we'll have a great World Cup - thank you! Garden Spot indeed!!

Originally Posted by Forgedwheeler
News story? Sadly, Gemballa's kidnapping is big news to us, but just another day at the office for a country that had 3000+ kidnappings for profit last year, 8 every day. That's just the beginning. Try 60+ murders per day, (23,000+ per year), plus#1 in the world in rapes per capita. Not your garden spot for a nice holiday.
In comparison, the USA had 16,000 murders last year, and has six times the population of South Africa.

When you add to this the fact that SA is about to host the second biggest sporting event in the world, the World Cup, its no wonder to me that they aren't very forthcoming with bad publicity.

I know Uwe Gemballa. And I know for a fact that he is kidnapped in South Africa. Fact.
It simply amazes me how people will believe BS stories in the press. They will believe some trumped-up nonsense about Uwe on the run from the German authorities. Yet when you call the German Authorities, they tell you that there are no charges against Mr. Gemballa and that he is not a suspect in any crime. They will also tell you that he is a missing person in South Africa.
The press says that the Gemballa factory is closed and that cars have been seized. Yet when you call the factory and want to buy something, the factory is open and it's business as usual. They vehemently deny that any cars were impounded. Have you seen even a single post from anyone who claims to be one of those mysterious Gemballa customers who had his car seized? Hardly.
Facts? Most of the internet automotive press are a bunch of muckraking jerks who pander to creeps who want to believe the worst in everybody.

Uwe's family is sick with worry and they have to hear all this nonsense. Shameful is too nice a word. Despicable is more like it.

Sorry for the rant. Uwe is my friend.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Forgedwheeler
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ray Wert
For starters, we obviously all want to see Uwe Gemballa resurface safely, but there's no evidence to indicate Uwe's been kidnapped. The Bild.de story his friends point to does not have evidence backing up the claims it's making and is closer to "unsubstantiated trash" than our stories written at Jalopnik. Bild.de's story -- all of four paragraphs long -- has no direct quotes from police or other third party sources and provides no information beyond that seemingly provided by Gemballa's wife. It makes assertions like "obviously it was Johannesburg's criminal element" who kidnapped him. "Obviously?" Really? Frankly, it reads more like a press release than an actual news story.

The facts: Nobody seems to know where Uwe is. In addition to speaking with other third-party sources, we called Gemballa on Thursday and spoke with them. Gemballa's employees have no idea where he is. They did not claim Uwe was kidnapped.

What they did say is police were on-site looking for him and apparently cataloging inventory and equipment. Those actions appear to be strange actions for a kidnapping case.

Uwe's wife claims Uwe called her with a ransom demand. No police have catalogued a demand and none are treating this as a kidnapping either in Europe or in South Africa. The German police have catalogued it as a missing person case. That's curious, especially if, as is claimed without evidence by the Bild.de article, Interpol has taken over. Interpol likely wouldn't allow the German police to be running an investigation on top of theirs. Nor would they be interested in having Uwe's wife talking to Bild.de about the matter.

This whole thing feels very suspicious and seems to have more loose ends the further we follow it.

Ray Wert
Jalopnik.com
I just phoned Johannesburg. The police are now treating this as an active kidnapping investigation. Call them yourself.

The local Johannesburg press has finally awakened:

http://www.timeslive.co.za/sundaytim...icle318353.ece

If you knew Uwe Gemballa, you would know that he adores his family and would NEVER go "on the run".

It simply amazes me how the media will jump to conclusions and print a disparaging story about someone, and then just cling to it to the bitter end.

I hope you are just as vocal with your apology.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:50 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lets all hope for the safe return of Uwe Gemballa to his family and friends.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove by the Gemballa shop Friday (after closing time) and nothing looked unusual there, other than the one P-Car in the showroom being under a cover. No unusual signs on the door or chains and big padlocks with German Police stickers on them... nothing like that at all, for whatever that is worth.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:45 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Kidnapping is very real and frequent form of crime in other than US.
If its true, hope he gets out safely...

I too think his customization to be little over the top for my taste but...That's just me.
Especially the new Avalanche GTR 650 Evo-R Wingdoor. (MAN, that was mouthful to read!)
Too much RICER like in my book.
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2010, 10:21 AM
vaujot
Instructor

Police in Böblingen, Germany have issued a press release (in German). They confirm that he is missing since February 9th. In his last contact with his wife, he has told her that he had an "accident" and needed a large amount of money. The police does neither confirm nor deny that he has been kidnapped but only states that they can neither exclude a crime, an accident or other reasons.
So, this does not tell us anything new other than that he is in fact officially missing. One thing to bear in mind is that the police may not neccessarily be saying all it knows in order not to interfere with the investigation.
Meanwhile, I saw a statement by his company elsewhere claiming that business is running as usual (considering the circumstances, of course).
Old 02-23-2010, 01:33 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

And the saga continues...

http://jalopnik.com/5478068/gemballa...-disappearance
Old 02-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Hamotee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
I was just about to post the exact same link.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:35 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe we can get a comment from Forgedwheeler who seems to have taken exception to some of the comments in this thread. Maybe its we who'll be hearing an apology......I guess time will tell as all this unfolds. Certainly sounds fishy.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Forgedwheeler
Intermediate

I am Uwe's friend and I concede that his company is experiencing financial trouble. His wife put the company into bankruptcy today.
I still find it inconceivable that Uwe would abandon his family and go "on the run", especially in a place like South Africa. I suggest we wait to see what the authorities uncover. There are some really powerful entities looking for him right now.
If I am wrong about Uwe, I will be the FIRST to apologize to this august group, and many others as well.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:49 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I must admit, this is getting stranger. I don't know much, but maybe the South African connection is a cover due to its high number of kidnappings. It would make sense that he "could" be kidnapped there so as not to make anyone question it. But... I'm just an uneducated locksmith...
Old 02-23-2010, 05:20 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Well we sincerely hope that at the end of the day we hear that apology as this will mean Gemballa wasn't in harms way. I don't know anyone personally who has been in such a predicament, but I can only imagine how bad it must be to be held somewhere against your will.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:55 PM
future
Banned

I am Uwe's friend and I concede that his company is experiencing financial trouble.
You state on http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/gt/3...issing-14.html post #135 that "He has faced financial difficulty many times."

You did not reveil this earlier in this thread and quite to the contary!

But yes if there is any truth in this which I find hard to believe then I hope he returns to his family in good health
Old 02-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a sad commentary that the media attacks everyone so visciously. Just last night I watched a program that brought up the nasty things printed and broadcast about Steve Fossett while he was laying out there dead on the side of a mountain. I hope Uwe gets out of this alive.

And anyone who wants to bash Uwe Gemballa's work, why don't you post pics and info on your personal achievements... So we can praise your creative and financial prowess...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has Uwe Gemballa been kidnapped???