Sound insulation replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 02:17 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Sound insulation replacement?

Most of the search links are of people removing their carpet for weight savings on the track. Few are replacing.

Anyone know if you are replacing your carpet, and want to have sound deadening under it, do people generally just suck up the cost and get the Porsche fitted sound deadening pieces, or is there something else that is easy and just as good?

Thanks,
Old 02-12-2010, 12:21 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Anyone?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:30 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Anyone?
I've never had to, but I would probably get some closed cell foam so that it does not absorb water. Maybe some 1/2" grey underpads used for camping. It cuts well with a utility knife.

Just a thought.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:03 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright JPS, from your recent slew of posts I am guessing that you are refinishing your interior and changing it to cashmere? Sounds like a great idea. WIsh I had a pic of one to send you. Good luck with the project.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:57 AM
bobesser
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a post a while back about a guy who replaced all the sound deadening. I think he used the audio stuff that sticks on and is silver backed. The post had lots of pics. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Bob
Old 02-12-2010, 09:38 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am considering the change, yes, but trying to figure out what sort of mess and expense I'm getting myself into if I do.

Yeah, I saw that post. Pretty exhaustive...he did quite a job. For the amount of labor I'd personally just have purchased the sound insulation from Sunset, but I can't figure out if the PITA part is getting the insulation off the floor or the carpet off the insulation.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:16 AM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobesser
There was a post a while back about a guy who replaced all the sound deadening. I think he used the audio stuff that sticks on and is silver backed. The post had lots of pics. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Bob
The guy who undertook the project was "daltvater" here on RL. Do a search for posts created by him and you'll find all the info you need. GL.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

I would take a look at http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...products_id=55

Worked quite well on my mustang. Self sticking, no asphalt, and effective.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:26 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

I read the whole article but it really didn't talk about whether the PITA was removing the carpet from the insulation or the insulation from the floor. On the edesign link, that seems to be a layer to put over the existing insulation. I'm trying to figure out options on the insulation itself...do you just go with stock, or are there different solutions. Even through Sunset replacing the insulation is on the order of $800...if there is a cheaper solution, I'm just trying to find it and help in the decision of whether to change the color interior or not.

Quick Reply: Sound insulation replacement?