DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1
Old 01-27-2010, 02:51 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm looking for my 1st 993 and have been doing my homework for the past 6 months. I appreciate the input from fellow enthusiasts who know considerably more than I about these cars. What I've learned is that every car is unique in terms of its options, color, history, service records etc which ultimately impact value. Factoring mileage, track days it may have seen, it can become quite a complicated decision. Its only by reading a balanced set of opinions that I can formulate my own. Keep them coming guys.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:13 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Opinions like these vary at every single forum no matter what type of car. You have owners that love to put down the very car they own. Why? I have no idea but they exist everywhere. Whether it be an American muscle car or another German make they insist the car is 'overpriced' without seeing it, driving it, or having any knowledge of the history of the car. I think the original post was very kindly written to highlight a possibly nice car to someone that is looking for one. Everyone knows that the dealer asking price is negotiable so you have to think $36k or similar would be the real price. If the car is excellent with no needs (even tires) then that certainly can be a good deal for someone. Sure you can buy a 993 for prices around $30,000 but before a full year's ownership you have to put in several thousand (plus aggravation and time) so what was the real purchase price? I would hate to think that the negative chatter would prevent future posts from being written. It is a service to those that are looking.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:07 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 NC 993
Opinions like these vary at every single forum no matter what type of car. You have owners that love to put down the very car they own. Why? I have no idea but they exist everywhere. Whether it be an American muscle car or another German make they insist the car is 'overpriced' without seeing it, driving it, or having any knowledge of the history of the car. I think the original post was very kindly written to highlight a possibly nice car to someone that is looking for one. Everyone knows that the dealer asking price is negotiable so you have to think $36k or similar would be the real price. If the car is excellent with no needs (even tires) then that certainly can be a good deal for someone. Sure you can buy a 993 for prices around $30,000 but before a full year's ownership you have to put in several thousand (plus aggravation and time) so what was the real purchase price? I would hate to think that the negative chatter would prevent future posts from being written. It is a service to those that are looking.
Perhaps owners are not negative, but rather realistic. I don't want to see 993s sell for low prices any more than anyone else, but $40k or even $36k is simply not realistic for a narrowbody 95 with 52k miles.

Furthermore, you MAY have to spend put in several thousands or you may not.

Example: Low mileage garage queen C2s sells for $50k. Car seems great but when you start driving, it leaks like a sieve from all the dried out seals.

or

You buy the high mileage C2 for $30k with 110k miles. Price reflected the mileage but the owner was meticulous about maintenance.

Every single car, whether its sold by Ray at RPM or a local used car lot is a complete and utter crap shoot. You do a PPI and you pray that everything is fine. Selling price hardly indicates the need for future (immediate or otherwise) expenses.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:01 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The elephant in the room for this particular car is that it's being sold by a franchised new car dealer. Do you think for one second that they didn't "but it right"? Thus, I see this thread as having some underlying hostility in them trying to flip a car to a naive buyer. No one is going to begrudge a profit; however this car is pretty generic, all things considered, to be at that end of the bell curve.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:23 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

You think this is bad ...
Here's a 96 C2 in Canada with a 18K accident repair disclosure for $45,588. That's about $42.8K US.

https://www.dlsaccelerator.com/webas...Stocknum=U1949
Old 01-28-2010, 08:40 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Excellence prices! Please, they are crap. That damn column is a disservice to all of us I believe.
Just looking at the online ads, I tend to agree. Most were up there in $$$. As for the low priced ones, they had big miles and may or may not be a catch. An inspection might reveal otherwise.

Either most 993s are overpriced or that magazine is way out to lunch...one of the two.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:47 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by beers4all
You think this is bad ...
Here's a 96 C2 in Canada with a 18K accident repair disclosure for $45,588.
That came out Jan 1st 2010 in Ontario.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:21 PM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
The elephant in the room for this particular car is that it's being sold by a franchised new car dealer. Do you think for one second that they didn't "but it right"? Thus, I see this thread as having some underlying hostility in them trying to flip a car to a naive buyer. No one is going to begrudge a profit; however this car is pretty generic, all things considered, to be at that end of the bell curve.
If this dealer is worth their salt at all they paid ~25K maybe less for the car. Trying to flip it for the price they are asking appears to just be a blatent attempt to bend someone over. If they paid more than 30K for the car I would be amazed. I obviously don't know what they paid for it but I'd bet if the PO saw their attempted resale price he/she would either laugh really hard, or cry.

Nick
Old 01-28-2010, 11:11 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Bought my Boxster S from them. Tires were misrepresented and the back window was cracked but not in the pictures. I think it happened when they were cleaning it up for me. Also, could not get the front hood to close. I had to adjust the latch for them. Anyway, they had some cool cars there when I was out there. The wife and I drove it home from there to Ohio via the Grand Canyon. Memorable trip.

Gregg L bought a car there too and he had some issues but I don't think anything major.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 NC 993
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Perhaps owners are not negative, but rather realistic. I don't want to see 993s sell for low prices any more than anyone else, but $40k or even $36k is simply not realistic for a narrowbody 95 with 52k miles.

Furthermore, you MAY have to spend put in several thousands or you may not.

Example: Low mileage garage queen C2s sells for $50k. Car seems great but when you start driving, it leaks like a sieve from all the dried out seals.

or

You buy the high mileage C2 for $30k with 110k miles. Price reflected the mileage but the owner was meticulous about maintenance.

Every single car, whether its sold by Ray at RPM or a local used car lot is a complete and utter crap shoot. You do a PPI and you pray that everything is fine. Selling price hardly indicates the need for future (immediate or otherwise) expenses.
Again, Quad is spot-on. I bought my 40,000 mile, 1995 NB 993 in 2002 for $39,000. Eight years later it's still worth the same price?? In this market with everything that's happening with the economy?? Yeah, I wish. No f*cking way. My opinions are not negative but are, as Quad writes, simply realistic. 993 owners are not "putting down" their cars if they are communicating the objective truth, in the same way that a 993 owner might bitch about excess rear tire wear, clogged SAI passages or poor gearing. It is what it is.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:42 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hasn't it always been that dealers often set unreasonably high prices for used cars for which they're in no hurry to sell? Am I missing something?

Remember, price is often no reflection of value. No one's holding a gun to your head to actually pay $40K. Maybe they are setting a trap for a sucker, but I just view it as the dealer wasting his own time. I pay no attention to "discounts" from "sticker." Even if he was asking $60K or even $80K, I'd have no problem with shooting a dealer the $32K I'd be wiling to pay. Worst he can say is "no." Any further yelling, flushed faces, perceived insults or stammering on his part are just entertainment for me.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

And what's up with the phrase "Looky Loos" anyway?
Old 01-29-2010, 03:19 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cincy_Ron
And what's up with the phrase "Looky Loos" anyway?
I was wondering that too. Being British I thought it was an American colloquialism.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:53 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Default Posted on 964 forum

Since we're talking about unrealistic dealer pricing, this one takes the breath away
http://www.johnhollandsales.co.uk/ve...asp?ID=1123081.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: You 1995 993 Looky Loos...