993 Forum 1995-1998

1996 C4S Gear Whine sound ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:53 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
VC's are not repairable; they are a sealed unit. If its bad, your only option is to replace it. Those run $885 right now, but will go up after Feb 1.

Steve,
How much is it going up? I've got an unintended 2wd conversion right now (not sure what quit working) and don't mind it, but would like the option to go back stock. Especially if I ever find myself somewhere rainier than SoCal. Not sure if its worth buy one and letting it sit in the garage for now.

Or are VCs easy to find since lots of people seem to do the 4-->2wd conversion?

THANKS!!!!
Keith
Old 01-28-2010, 10:53 AM
C4S993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Psagazio: I don't have a lift. The price of a new VC seems fair, I will take it to Autohaus and see what they will charge to put it in. I'd hate to drop the engine and just replace the VC as it needs a few other projects too (2nd Air System clogged + #3 tad weapy oil + engine mounts). If they can do the VC without taking the engine out I'd be happy with $1k labor.

Patrick
1996C4S

PS: If I knew these fluid C4s were so much trouble I would have stuck with C2s, in fact there is a cherry '98 C2S (22k miles) in town that the guy wants $60k for but was taking Ebay bids at $46, no bids. I saw it and it was as new with some road marks underneath. I once had a '90C4 Cab and that 4WD was rock solid and responded so fast you had no time think, it would whip it's tail in line in a split second. But the ride was harsh (of course) versus the 993 C4. I like the Turbo look of my car but would rather it be 2WD (of course).
Old 01-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S993
Psagazio: I don't have a lift. The price of a new VC seems fair, I will take it to Autohaus and see what they will charge to put it in. I'd hate to drop the engine and just replace the VC as it needs a few other projects too (2nd Air System clogged + #3 tad weapy oil + engine mounts). If they can do the VC without taking the engine out I'd be happy with $1k labor.

Patrick
1996C4S

PS: If I knew these fluid C4s were so much trouble I would have stuck with C2s, in fact there is a cherry '98 C2S (22k miles) in town that the guy wants $60k for but was taking Ebay bids at $46, no bids. I saw it and it was as new with some road marks underneath. I once had a '90C4 Cab and that 4WD was rock solid and responded so fast you had no time think, it would whip it's tail in line in a split second. But the ride was harsh (of course) versus the 993 C4. I like the Turbo look of my car but would rather it be 2WD (of course).
So just convert to 2wd. It runs about $700 in parts and you'll get the better steering response and lighter weight
Old 01-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Porsche announced a price increase of 4%-5% taking affect on Feb 1. We shall see whats affected,.....

Patrick,

Personally, I've not had any VC failures make noise (they simply crack and leak their fluid inside the transmission) so I cannot offer anything there. Whining noises have generally been bearing or gear related and thats what I'd be initially looking at. Low gear oil level will also make such noise, too.

If the VC turns out to be the source of the noise and you don't care about having AWD, its easy to remove the VC and other hardware to make it a 2WD car.

Quick Reply: 1996 C4S Gear Whine sound ???