Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Why don't more cab owners install ROLLBARS? ...not eye-pleasing? ...not OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 05:42 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Some guy running at Buttonwillow last weekend. Miata--factory hardtop, roll bar, comp belts. Pay attention @ 1:10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMmjaaSQP08

Ultimately, they're convertibles. If your number's up, your number's up.

We had one of those SCARGO bars show up on a then pretty new 993 in the '90's. I wouldn't tech it for track duty. Anyone know if Mark made those, or was it subbed out to Rolf?
Old 02-07-2010, 03:29 AM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ouch! Did this guy end up walking away from this? Looked like his mellon hit the ground more than once.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:39 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sdcabrio
Ouch! Did this guy end up walking away from this? Looked like his mellon hit the ground more than once.
No info I heard about him needing to be transported. Guy who forwarded it to our local list ended up not going, so all he had was second hand info.

(In a Karmic twist, this guy, not the flipper, who was supposed to go ended up having his trailer stolen from his shop a couple of days later. If he'd gone, likely his Miata would have still been parked on it and it would have been locked/tethered more securely.)
Old 02-08-2010, 02:46 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, I too had my concerns about this issue with my Cab. and wrote to several experts at Porsche and on several forums (incl. my Porsche dealer techs). They all said that the windshield on these cars were very rigid and were designed to protect the occupants during a roll over (they also said that it was very hard to roll over one of these with proper street use). Obvious need for a roll bar with track/Club Racing use.

Looking at your roll over pick (not pretty) it looks like the windshield served its purpose for the occupants.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,790 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Good thread Jager. This should be top of mind, especially for those with the Speedster windshield. I agree with David's comments.

As evidence by Mike's rollover, this is a safety issue for anyone, not just those who track. Personally, I traded my cab for a coupe the moment I realized I wanted to test the limits of my car. Cabriolets should never see track IMO, especially older cars with outdated safety equipment like the 993.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:28 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Louis J.
Good thread Jager. This should be top of mind, especially for those with the Speedster windshield. I agree with David's comments.

As evidence by Mike's rollover, this is a safety issue for anyone, not just those who track. Personally, I traded my cab for a coupe the moment I realized I wanted to test the limits of my car. Cabriolets should never see track IMO, especially older cars with outdated safety equipment like the 993.
And I think it's more of an assumption of risk issue. There are no (or should not be any, to anyone with the least bit of common sense) hidden defects with a convertible. Now with all the hardtop convertibles out there..........line could be blurry for those specific cars.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:35 PM
aircooled
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default roll bar options for cabs

Jager,

Watching this thread as I had removed the roll bar in my 95 cab to allow for more leg room in the seat. Also concerned about max protection as well as appearance.

Just ran across this roll bar custom made for a Speedster--like the design, similar to the Boxter hoops. It's pricy but given the time to fab, may not be to bad.

Was listed on E-Bay. No affilation
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...item335a6fbaf0

Cheers, Jim
Attached Images  

Last edited by aircooled; 03-11-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: attempt to add photo
Old 03-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Very nice looking, but wow that's a ton of money. Your right the design and fab of the bar is where most of the $$$$ come in. I like the looks.

Mike
Old 03-15-2010, 11:21 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Been away long time. Glad to see fascinating viewpoints. (Will soon be away too long again.)
Originally Posted by curve lover
Whatever it takes to get more thinking about safety
Of all the topics discussed here, this seems VERY important - literally life or death, but rarely talked about - kinda the elephant in the room ...
Originally Posted by ljugete

several experts at Porsche and on several forums (incl. my Porsche dealer techs) said that the windshield on these cars were very rigid and were designed to protect the occupants during a roll over.
Frank-- I once heard similar regarding 968 cabs' windshields (no OEM rear rollbar). However, I never found it in print from Porsche. If such a statement were true, it was conspicuous that a company would omit safety information, usually a huge selling point.

Devil's advocate:
- If 993 windshield's so safe, why do 996+ cabs have rear (pop-up) rollbars?

- Please respond with factory press references confirming your claims from experts at Porsche, forums, & your dealer's techs.

- Counterpoint: other cab models never thought to reinforce their windshields?
Old 03-15-2010, 11:25 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default devil's advocate, for the sake of discussion

Whatever it takes to get more thinking about safety
Originally Posted by ljugete

the windshield on these cars were designed to protect the occupants during a roll over.

Looking at your roll over pick it looks like the windshield served its purpose for the occupants.
Frank & all-- If 993 windshield's are so safe, would anyone here volunteer to ride with Mike on that fateful day? Looks like passenger's head would have added color to the crash site...
Originally Posted by fishing
Windshields seriously hurt many motorists before 3 point restraints and airbags.
Originally Posted by Arena993
In short I rolled my car. That is all I want to say about the accident.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:02 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JPP
What about trying to adapt the Boxster system? Factory parts, built-in removable glass wind screen.
Originally Posted by mongrelcat
I like the looks of the Speedster roll-bar in these recent posts.
Originally Posted by sdcabrio
Jager, I like the look of the modified boxster unit in the Vegas 964.
Originally Posted by BufordTJ
I want a roll bar for added safety, but I agree the only ones available look like CRAP!
IMO the modified Boxster and the Techart units look the best.
Originally Posted by aircooled
Jager,

Watching this thread as I had removed the roll bar in my 95 cab to allow for more leg room in the seat. Also concerned about max protection as well as appearance.

Just ran across this roll bar custom made for a Speedster--like the design, similar to the Boxter hoops. It's pricy but given the time to fab, may not be to bad.

Was listed on E-Bay. No affilation
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...item335a6fbaf0

Cheers, Jim
Originally Posted by Arena993
Very nice looking, but wow that's a ton of money. I like the looks.
Jim-- Great eye, thanks for the tip. A like-minded friend who has a 964 Speedster with at Boxster rollbar also sent me the link to eBayer dunavant_d8933's $4,500 rollbar. As I told him, I was already about as familiar with it as someone cross-county can be that hasn't seen it in person. It's Scott Dunavant's, & I had already posted shots of it on RL before he put it up for sale. GLWS, Dunavantent!
Originally Posted by dunavantent
I mounted my boxster roll bar to the frame.
Here's a Boxster rollbar installtion in a 911

From "Post photos of your 964 Speedster!" thread...
^^ Scott-- Welcome, & well done 1st post, including a photograph!
Very unique machine. I posted a photo last month of your rollbar, it's arguably one of the few eye-pleasing / factory-appearance rollbars in a topless aircooled 911. Feel free to comment on your experience / advice to others on the 993 Forum's "Why don't more cab owners install ROLLBARS? ...not eye-pleasing? ...not OEM?" thread.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that looks forward to more pix & details on your one-of-a-kind Turbo Speedster

Old 03-16-2010, 12:46 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Although the OEM look of the Boxster rollbar & especially its windblocking plastic inserts are a huge draw, I think -- as usual -- Alf knocked this out of the park on page one:
Originally Posted by alpinadvl
CL, another source of rollbars for our porsches is Heigo ... these guys can do anything - for them it should be plug and play.
We discussed Heigo's cab rollbar. ["IMHO that Heigo bar looks horrible" ... summarizing quote; no offense meant, still looking to create constructive discussion.]

BUT, I just stumbled upon this, briefly mentioned in the 911 Forum's "Cabriolet roll bar" thread. Although similar to Gemballa & S-Car-Go's rarities, I'm amazed I haven't seen this off-the-shelf option before -- never count out other RLers' resources & knowledge!

I'm strangely drawn to a pre-fab construction, just because it previously defied my pea-brained logic that surely someone's already manufactured a good-looking 993 rollbar. Plus, I've consistently read positive words about Heigo's talent, construction quality, & safety on various forums for years.

Obviously this is advertised for a Speedster (both 1989 & 964). Do you think the fact it wouldn't fit cabs?
Although I have a Speedster, I earnestly want to find an easily available solution for cab owners looking for an eye-appealing rollbar. Is this it?

Heigo's "Porsche 964 Speedster - Doppelbügel" safety bar.

No affiliation.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:00 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 524 Likes on 280 Posts

I have a 95 cab, used for street/DD use only. And while I would agree that a roll bar would probably make the car safer, so would not driving it at all. I own the car because (in no particular order) 1) I love the looks, 2) I love the drive, and 3) it's almost practical for just my wife and I to use all the time. Yes, we use the back seat for carrying stuff, golf clubs, etc. If I had a roll bar in it, it would become impractical, and lose the looks factor so I would end up never using it - hence, why bother owning it?

Point is, a 993 cab with a roll bar would not be in my garage. I would trade to a 997 cab, which at the moment I cannot afford.

However, if I had ANY intention of using it on the track, even once, it would have a roll bar. But I don't intend that (got two other cars with full cages for that).

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 03-17-2010, 11:07 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

'new' photo of Scott's Boxster rollbar in a 964, from the non-Rennlist lfor sale page of his Turbo Speedster (no asking price currently listed?). No affiliation.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:10 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Photos from his eBay ad (no affiliation):

Quick Reply: Why don't more cab owners install ROLLBARS? ...not eye-pleasing? ...not OEM?