Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Ninemeister: Porsche - 993 - RSR

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:00 AM
Barty964rst
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a look at the car reently at Silverstone Classic and it is incredible, lovely car. Did you buy the Green ST ex Monkey Harris's car from Francis T's?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:01 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by wtdoom
the whole day was a little infuriating tbh . there was a huge difference in experience , the on off rain didnt help . lots of red flags due to offs also .
still good fun though
You sound more & more like a real racing driver with every passing day my friend.....
Old 08-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,800 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Originally Posted by wtdoom
Of course sir .

I have quite a lot of experience on track so have a lot to compare it to . I regularly use a GT3rs 997 on track as well as an FIA spec Tuthil 911st . I am lucky enough to have some good friends who are nice / stupid enough to let me loose in very exotic track machinery ( 430 scuderia , gallardo superlegover , 997 gt2 etc etc ).

The Nine m RSR is a fantastic drive . It sounds really great and goes even better . I prefer it to all the modern stuff mentioned above . It is damped very well ( even though I specced it for the track ) it has great control and reasonable comfort . It can hold a great line and accelerates very well indeed ( up with a 997 gt3rs easily until very high speeds when the rsr seems to hit a bit of an aerodynamic wall ) .
It can change direction much better than a modern tin top car car , chicanes and pif pafs are dispatched with ease due to the light weight , suspension and huge grip levels . I also prefer the brakes , they are much more mechanical and have so much better feel than PCCB'S ( obviously the weight and lack there of make a huge difference here ).
The car can hit very low 50's at brands indy in traffic and has never , ever been passed at spa francorchamps by any similar ( ie tin top road legal ) car . At Eau Rouge and Pouhon it has to be seen to be believed .
I havent had it on track this year but it will be at spa again in september against some 997rs.2's , gt2's , a scuderia , a 458 and several 997rs.1's . Ill keep you posted if you are interested .
If i can hire a camera Ill show some video now that I have done more than 2 laps ( the previous footage with my apparently terrible driving ,was literally my first ever track session in the car and it was still by far the fastest out there ) .

The car could easily be used as a weekend or fun time car , you could even make it very comfortable with less extreme geo and softer suspension settings .
No problems .

In short the performance is up there with the best modern equivalents , the feel is far far superior and rewarding . Also yes you could drive it regularly .

The only Porsche that feels more special to drive ( for me at least ) is a Carrera Gt , as far as im concerned the best , purest , most challenging supercar of the modern era possibly ever . I rate the CGT higher than f40 , f50 , zonda etc . Even macca f1 's .

I think 9M ( Mark and Colin in Particular ) really outdid themselves with that car
its performance , quality/ depth of engineering and beauty speak volumes about the quality of 9m's work .

Thanks for the interest and I hope I havent bored you too much with my babbling
Thanks very much for this. I followed the build of your car with great enthusiasm and the video makes it a true object of desire for me. I even had an exchange with Colin about the car during the build and I had always hoped for a rundown on the car from the owner and now I do. From your description, the car sounds like everything I thought it would be. Barnone, my favorite car on RL and what I will use as a reference for my own build when that time comes. Well done Colin!
Old 08-11-2010, 01:40 PM
SheepHerder
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wtdoom let us know if you make another video of your car, I'd love to see it as I'm sure others.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Nickmysta
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wt doom - thanks for answering my questions. Your write-up did not bore me at all - bien au contraire!!

I am sure any additional experiences you would like to share would be highly appreciated by all.

BTW - is your dash in alcantara?

Regards,

Nick
Old 08-11-2010, 04:48 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

I'll bet thats a great car to drive.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:46 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Originally Posted by Barty964rst
I had a look at the car reently at Silverstone Classic and it is incredible, lovely car. Did you buy the Green ST ex Monkey Harris's car from Francis T's?
nine m had it showing there , unfortunately i couldnt make it . i hear there were some great bits there ! As for the Harris car no matey i did not buy this .

Originally Posted by NineMeister
You sound more & more like a real racing driver with every passing day my friend.....

Originally Posted by Avid Fan
Thanks very much for this. I followed the build of your car with great enthusiasm and the video makes it a true object of desire for me. I even had an exchange with Colin about the car during the build and I had always hoped for a rundown on the car from the owner and now I do. From your description, the car sounds like everything I thought it would be. Barnone, my favorite car on RL and what I will use as a reference for my own build when that time comes. Well done Colin!
Thanks for your kind words .
I am completely blown away by the car to be honest with you . Colin and Mark have outdone themselves . I would compare 9m work favourably with the best of the best and I have been lucky enough recently to experience so many " tuners " .

Originally Posted by SheepHerder
wtdoom let us know if you make another video of your car, I'd love to see it as I'm sure others.
I will try and get some footage at spa next month ( if i can hire a camera ) . Its funny about the video . I have a friend Rob he is a wiz with video and mixing etc . He made the vid himself as an experiment with some new equipment . We all laughed at him not knowing how great it would turn out . Needless to say he never lets us live it down

Originally Posted by Nickmysta
wt doom - thanks for answering my questions. Your write-up did not bore me at all - bien au contraire!!

I am sure any additional experiences you would like to share would be highly appreciated by all.

BTW - is your dash in alcantara?

Regards,

Nick
My pleasure sir . The dash is indeed Alcantara . I was dead against this but Mark told me to trust him and he was dead right , it looks great .
I will do a write up at spa and try to put up data comparing it to a Carrera gt among other things . The data will be very interesting !
Old 08-11-2010, 07:24 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

FWIW, I thought the driving was quite good, fast entry, some turn-in scrub/feel, especially given the new car, wet-dry track, and traffic .

The car is beautiful.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:10 AM
RAPID
Racer

What a fantastic video, you want it to go on and on... the car is amazing!
Old 08-12-2010, 10:02 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RAPID
What a fantastic video, you want it to go on and on... the car is amazing!

Hopefully the car will be even more amazing when I've finished installing the new valve train and get it back on the dyno next week.....
Old 08-12-2010, 11:20 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

New valve train? More details please.....
Old 08-12-2010, 02:35 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Sure, but only when I'm good and ready......
Old 08-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Can you get a magazine like Excellence to do a story on that car?
I still think you need to get Hammond to show on Top Gear (if it is still showing)
Old 08-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7iUKaPlBl8
Old 08-12-2010, 06:19 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Floodj
Can you get a magazine like Excellence to do a story on that car?
I still think you need to get Hammond to show on Top Gear (if it is still showing)
Like or better than Excellence? One of the Euromags did an article on it. Would love to see some 9M goodies on Top Gear, though!

Quick Reply: Ninemeister: Porsche - 993 - RSR