Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchase advice on a sudden wealth of 993's

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 05:26 PM
User 121721
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's more than double the number of coupes than cabs -- but interestingly, there always seems to be more cabs than coupes for sale. Wonder why.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:00 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mcipseric
For me, #3 is the clear winner. 96 has the verioram and new engine (BIG $).
Porsche made a lot more 993 cabs than coupes so they are harder to find. (not true)
Sounds like #1 has been tracked with all those mods, just something to consider.
Good luck and have fun!!
I spoke with the owner of #3 (he's a fellow Brit expat) a couple of months ago when it was listed for $27,5. At the time he was very explicit about the hard life the car had had at the hands of the previous owner. He said the engine was rebuilt using a used con-rod when the motor seized. Its not a 'new' engine, although the valve guide problem had been addressed. There may be weaknesses in other parts of the motor due to the neglect. Just an FYI.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Third one is a no brainer...

What do you want? A gift??

GL though
Old 12-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Teuton993
Instructor

Default PPI UPDATE

Well, the PPI on the red cab in Georgia wasn't great.

Needs a new rear main seal, new clutch (sooner than later), brake rotors, A/C doesn't work, horn doesn't work, driver's wiper doesn't work, various lights don't work, driver's side door mount check is torn loose, leak in front hood, and the list goes on. The car is certainly not "mint" as described, but I didn't expect it to be. However, I was hoping that it was closer to "very good" than "below average." I know the reduced price may reflect the poor condition, but I'm gonna keep looking.

If the blue one hasn't sold yet, I'll be out there to visit this gentleman in a couple of weeks.

BTW, the PPI was done by a German Car Repair in Roswell, GA (northern Atlanta area). The owner (Alan) was very helpful, spent a lot of time with me on the phone explaining things, made obvious efforts to remain neutral and not try to sell me his repair services (which displayed his integrity), and did the entire PPI without so much as a credit card number. Guess I'm used to NY car shops. (Don't worry, I sent him the check today.)

As far as PPI's go, I would highly recommend him.

Next...
Old 12-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Teuton993
Instructor

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
I spoke with the owner of #3... he was very explicit about the hard life the car had had at the hands of the previous owner... There may be weaknesses in other parts of the motor due to the neglect. Just an FYI.
Thanks, I appreciate the additional insight.

I essentially asked him the same thing and he was forthcoming about that as well, saying "The owner did not maintain the car very well, correct, But any serviceable concerns have been addressed, car is up to spec now and with a new engine, all previous neglect is no longer relevant."

He also iterated the whole list of items that were replaced or repaired, including the piston barrel & con rod, and repaired the crankshaft. I certainly have no qualms about this gentlemen so far. He's been very up front about everything. I'd probably even enjoy sitting down and having a "pint" with him and talking Porsche. I'm sure I'd learn a lot.

Do you have any references on his shop and the quality of their work?
Old 12-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Teuton993
Instructor

Originally Posted by Monique
...What do you want? A gift??
Sure, why do you have one you want to give me?

Originally Posted by Monique
GL though
Thanks!
Old 12-11-2009, 07:11 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Can't add anything regarding his credentials as a mechanic. From my brief interactions he seemed upfront and straight. All the since-I'm-in-there stuff seems to have been done on the engine. If I remember correctly the plan was him or his wife to keep the car so you'd imagine the work was done right. I don't think you should have too many concerns that the car is not as described.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:29 PM
gjones1735
Advanced

Hi Teuton993,

When shopping for my first 993 back in April I took the advice of many on this forum and spent a little bit more $$$ and got a lot more car. You'll find that the jump from around $25K to around $35K gets you a car...

1. No stories.
2. 28K miles versus 88K miles ( about 10 years of driving for a lot of us )
3. Rennlist, PCA, or both owned and maybe a concours car to boot. All this versus just some guy off the street.
4. All the toys already installed correctly. For example -- high end suspension, exhaust, wheels, brakes, struts, sways, ovals, etc. ( this list can go on and on )
5. A car that has an extremely tight engine and doesn't burn any oil -- Very important!!!

This is the route that I took and after nine months of ownership I wouldn't change a thing. It's been very nice having a car that always works perfectly and pulls like a train. All for a few extra $$$. Something to think about at least.

George
Old 12-12-2009, 12:54 AM
Teuton993
Instructor

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Can't add anything regarding his credentials as a mechanic...
Thanks for the update CorrdoBrit. Yep, it was supposed to be a car for his wife. If I was building a car for my wife, I'd certainly want it to run well and not have to fix anything on it for a long while. I wouldn't want to hear about it!

Did you happen to see the car in person? If so, what was your impression?
Old 12-12-2009, 01:12 AM
Teuton993
Instructor

Originally Posted by gjones1735
...You'll find that the jump from around $25K to around $35K gets you a car...
Thanks George, I appreciate the detailed advice. It's very helpful.

A good friend of mine is a muscle car collector and he said much the same thing to me last night. And another rennlist member also made a similar comment to me today on the phone. I'm beginning to see a pattern - spend as much as you can afford up front to get the best car you can. I will definitely keep this in mind.

Unfortunately, I'm approaching that limit now. Maybe I can scrape up some additional fundage by checking for loose change in the rec room couches.
Thanks!
Old 12-12-2009, 10:49 AM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Teuton993
Thanks for the update CorrdoBrit. Yep, it was supposed to be a car for his wife. If I was building a car for my wife, I'd certainly want it to run well and not have to fix anything on it for a long while. I wouldn't want to hear about it!

Did you happen to see the car in person? If so, what was your impression?
I live in Dallas so all my contact with the seller was via the phone. Try to find a local person to go check it out before going to the expense of a ppi. I'm sure you have already learned the importance of doing this as any close up inspection by a knowledgeable individual would have red flagged the red Cab. I don't understand why sellers can't be honest about the condition of their vehicles.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:50 AM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Scheurer
That's more than double the number of coupes than cabs -- but interestingly, there always seems to be more cabs than coupes for sale. Wonder why.
Just a guess. By comparison coupes tend to be owned by a higher percentage of 993 purists and Porschephiles. On a percentage basis cabs are more likely held by a comparatively larger number of top-down sports car afficianados who will move on to an entirely different and newer car at some point and do it more often. I would guess very few if any 993 cab owners here would fall into that category however. For the same reason, the care and attention history of a cab in a purchase decision needs to be possibly even more closely looked at.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:02 PM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gjones1735
Hi Teuton993,

When shopping for my first 993 back in April I took the advice of many on this forum and spent a little bit more $$$ and got a lot more car. You'll find that the jump from around $25K to around $35K gets you a car...

1. No stories.
2. 28K miles versus 88K miles ( about 10 years of driving for a lot of us )
3. Rennlist, PCA, or both owned and maybe a concours car to boot. All this versus just some guy off the street.
4. All the toys already installed correctly. For example -- high end suspension, exhaust, wheels, brakes, struts, sways, ovals, etc. ( this list can go on and on )
5. A car that has an extremely tight engine and doesn't burn any oil -- Very important!!!

This is the route that I took and after nine months of ownership I wouldn't change a thing. It's been very nice having a car that always works perfectly and pulls like a train. All for a few extra $$$. Something to think about at least.

George
Excellent post!! You get what you pay for in most instances. You see the bragging posts in ALL car forums (not just Porsche) about the great prices they paid but you never hear about the $$$ that went into the car the first year after purchase. Just human nature.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:03 PM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skywachr
Just a guess. By comparison coupes tend to be owned by a higher percentage of 993 purists and Porschephiles. On a percentage basis cabs are more likely held by a comparatively larger number of top-down sports car afficianados who will move on to an entirely different and newer car at some point and do it more often. I would guess very few if any 993 cab owners here would fall into that category however. For the same reason, the care and attention history of a cab in a purchase decision needs to be possibly even more closely looked at.
And all people with pierced ears and tatoos smoke dope.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:13 PM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by larpy
And all people with pierced ears and tatoos smoke dope.
Good comeback. I was thinking of something but yours is better. As the owner of 3 convertibles it is amazing to see such posts.

Quick Reply: Purchase advice on a sudden wealth of 993's