Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 03:13 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts
Smile Airbag light fix experience.

Dear Rennlist Members:
The airbag is a dangerous explosive device so if you act on information in my experiences below do at your own risk. I am not a professional mechanic.
If you have any safety concerns let the dealer service your airbag system.

Here are my notes as to how I fixed the problem. I hope other members find it insightful:
Diagnosis:
• Unable to access airbag module in Duramentric OBDC II software under Model 993. Fault listed as module failure under 993. Potentially very costly misinformation.
• Able to read airbag module under 964 Vehicle in Durametric software.
• Description of code numbers in Durametric software seemed to be in error. Code numbers seemed to make sense when I looked up their descriptions in the diagnosis section of the Porsche shop manual.
• Equipment readout for my car in Durametric:
B02 AIRBAG 993 618 217 00 T1T5C08AR2

Symptom:
Warning lamp lights at start-up, goes out after a while – indicates non-crash system fault from 993 shop manual diagnostic section.
Actions taken:
• Disconnected battery negative terminal!! Remembering that I was servicing the detonator on an explosive device!
• Clock removed and all solder joints on its PC board re soldered.
There were three solder points that lead to the clock motor that need to be unsoldered for the circuit board to release from the clock housing.
• Control Module under dash in center of car orange in color has a release lever on the back of the connector that you flip up to release the plug. A very delicate connector, very little force was needed to unplug the module.
• Clock and control module connections cleaned with electrical contact cleaner spray
• Verified all warning light bulbs in clock were good with ohm meter and bent the bulb contact tabs out slightly to ensure good electrical contact to sockets.
• To get the clock out I first pulled out the speedometer and push the clock out from the back through the speedometer hole.
• Contact unit in steering wheel hosed down with electrical contact cleaner. The harness does not unplug from the contact ring! I did not remove the steering wheel to do this.
• I did not disconnect the horn or airbag from the harness.
• I did make every effort to not face the back metal side of the airbag towards me being concerned that if the airbag deployed it would slam a chunk of metal into my face. In retrospect I would find a better way to shield myself from the airbag while doing the work. Or better yet do not sit in the car while working on the steering wheel components.
• After reassembling the car and with car reconnected to the battery I used a volt meter to measure voltage on the fuse tops, fuses powering system good and voltage supplied at fuse good.
• Finally OBDC Fault code cleared with Duramentric, warning light remains out on restart of car.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:34 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool beans.
Shame you had to go thru' all of THAT to get the "2 minute" airbag light to turn off.
I'm wondering if simply disconnecting the battery (for a while) then reconnecting it and THEN trying to use the Durametrics s/w would have worked -- WITHOUT (also) having to do the switch-cleaner and solder fandango.

Gerry
Old 12-05-2009, 08:56 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts
Default I like your thinking!

Originally Posted by g_murray
Cool beans.
Shame you had to go thru' all of THAT to get the "2 minute" airbag light to turn off.
I'm wondering if simply disconnecting the battery (for a while) then reconnecting it and THEN trying to use the Durametrics s/w would have worked -- WITHOUT (also) having to do the switch-cleaner and solder fandango.

Gerry

Gerry,
Good idea. I went through the process so if I ended up replace a very expensive airbag or module I would feel confident that I addressed the simple inexpensive stuff first.

Andy
Old 06-06-2011, 11:26 PM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Airbag light will not shut off

My airbag light DOES not go out after 2 min. I did have a double deployment from a very minor accident, but they did deploy. Both bags were replaced. (3-Spoke driver side and passenger side)

I tried with both Ver 6 and Ver 5 of durametric sw, version 6 would not even connect, but vesion 5 did and got a list of faults, which the manual indicated a bad controller.

Any ideas????
Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2011, 08:51 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by levtron
My airbag light DOES not go out after 2 min. I did have a double deployment from a very minor accident, but they did deploy. Both bags were replaced. (3-Spoke driver side and passenger side)

I tried with both Ver 6 and Ver 5 of durametric sw, version 6 would not even connect, but vesion 5 did and got a list of faults, which the manual indicated a bad controller.

Any ideas????
See a dealer. Durametric, in my experience, can't clear all the bag light faults. As well, the dealer can confirm if you really do have a controller problem.

Cost to fix the light (but not replace the controller--wasn't needed): $110

Peace of mind (AND not haveing the friggin' light in my face all the time): PRICELESS
Old 06-07-2011, 11:15 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having had my 'irritating' 2 minute airbag light cleared for over a year now -- which, reminder, was due to trying to start the car with a very weak battery (read: click-click-click...)

Here's a reminder: if you haven't driven your car for a couple of weeks -- do yourself a favor and put it on the trickle charger for a couple of hours so as to 'revitalize' the battery.

Then start the car, then go drive it.

The air-bag control module is REALLY REALLY sensitive to (low) voltage fluctuations, emphasis on REALLY. Don't assume the battery is strong enough to start the engine. When in doubt, charge it for a while. You'll kick yourself when that airbag light stares at you (for 2 mins) every time you start the car ...all because you assumed.

G.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:20 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

My airbag light doesn't even go out after 2 min. Stays on until I shutdown engine.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:06 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
My airbag light doesn't even go out after 2 min. Stays on until I shutdown engine.
Your fault is "relevant to crash protection". In accordance with the factory repair manual, "If the fault is not relevant to crash protection , the warning light is not triggered continuously but only on for approx. 2 minutes."
Old 06-07-2011, 09:11 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Any ideas????
I'm looking at the diagnosis section of the factory repair manual and your codes are all over the system. The most pertinent may be faults >100 says the triggering unit must be replaced. The manual also says the triggering unit must be replaced after the third time the airbag is triggered or if the fault memory can no longer be cleared. If the airbag has been triggered three times it may be time to sell the car?

If you replace the airbag triggering unit (control unit) it must be programmed using the PWIS or 9288 tester. The Durametric will not do the lock and code.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it true the airbags will not deploy if the warning light is on?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:22 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Michaelc
Is it true the airbags will not deploy if the warning light is on?
The manual is not more explicit than the quote I posted above. From that it would appear to me that if the light stays on there is a good chance one or both of the airbags may not work if needed.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had to take the airbag out of the car to replace the "Airbag Reataining Ring" because the horn would sound upon braking or bumps.

Disconnected battery for a couple of hours before starting, all went well, no noticable problems during reassembly, and hown now works as expected...

B-U-T....

I now have constant airbag light

Durametric reads it (had to select 95 Airbag for my 96 car...shows 993 part number on the identification...), shows error code "2" - "Airbag warning light," and it will reset/make it go off for just a moment, then it comes back on....

My guess is that there IS a fault, but that error code confuses me... Yes, I know...the light is ON, but how can it show up as a fault when it is working???

Any tips or RennWisdom before I tear into it all again???

Last edited by Avenger6; 08-29-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:42 AM
levtron
Racer

You may just need to go to a dealer and have it reset. In the end that was my solution to get the light turned off. I actually changed my controller, which turned out to be broken, re-installed the original, and dealer reset fixed everything.

Good luck...
Old 08-30-2012, 12:54 PM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You may just need to go to a dealer and have it reset. In the end that was my solution to get the light turned off. I actually changed my controller, which turned out to be broken, re-installed the original, and dealer reset fixed everything.

Good luck...
Thanks! Just went to the dealer, he hooked the machine, but said that the ACU was not connecting to the airbag.... so, either I didn't get it plugged back in right, OR, the movement and stress of the work ganked up the clockspring.

At least going to the dealer gave me some clues on what to check, and they didn't even charge me to hook up their machine.... partially makes up for charging me DOUBLE Pelican's price for front pads.... (I needed them in a rush, but didn't realize the price differential....)
Old 08-30-2012, 01:28 PM
levtron
Racer

Mine charged me $100 for the reset.. Took them 12 minutes... which included the moving the ca into the garage...but worth it ;-)

Quick Reply: Airbag light fix experience.