Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   993 Ducktail (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/537964-993-ducktail.html)

aclt993 12-02-2009 03:29 AM

993 Ducktail

Does anyone know who makes the best Ducktail for a 993, and if so, is anyone in the Los Angeles area who has done this ? I also have the original set of black brakes from my 1995 993 for sale if anyone is interested. I had them removed at about 80k miles and had red brakes installed.

mcipseric 12-02-2009 11:24 AM

I heard this guy is good. http://www.mashaw.com
He is in Santa Ana, CA

Martin S. 12-02-2009 11:39 AM

I'd look to ....

MA Shaw (A Rennlist sponsor) or Getty Design, a colleague of Mike Shaw. They make high quality fiberglass parts. I have had two Getty Design tails, a 993 RS and now a GT2 tail.

Don't let me buzz kill your project...it's your car. Do what you have to do...I have a GT 2 tail, many would say that's too much...but its not for me.

Adding a Duck Tail, there was a buzz on the 993 Board to do this a while back. It is a "looks only" mod I have been told. Supposedly, the Duck Tail doesn't do any better job of reducing rear end lift than the stock moveable spoiler. Looking back at the old 911 books, it was documented (Frere: The 911 Story) that the traditional whale tail did a better job than the duck tail reducing lift. Neither the duck tail or the standard whale tail provided down force...not radical enough, not enough surface area.

To get downforce on a 993, you need to install a GT2 tail with an adjustable horizontal blade. At 170 mph, on a NB 993, with GT2 front splitters, the GT2 (993 Club Sport) tail will provide 160 Lbs of down force at 9 degrees of down angle. This is assuming you can get a stock engined car can overcome the drag and hit terminal velocity. This info is from a Porsche factory bulletin on the 993 RS and the 993 RS CS. It is out of print now.

And if and when you sell your car, you may reduce the sales appeal, unless you find that one special buyer that just must have a duck tail. Re-installing the old tail, not a chore I would look forward to....however it could be a piece of cake for all I know. Bottom line, to each his own...my car would be seen as a travesty by 993 a purist, so I may be considered guilty of heresy. Please dont prepare a GT2 branding iron for my forehead!:D

axl911 12-02-2009 12:10 PM

As Martin said, the ducktail is to replace the motorized stock tail. I have one from Rennspeed. Fit and quality is pretty good. The lines were consistent and no huge gaping gap. The finish has almost no pin holes. However, there is a slight warpage on one side of the lip at the center reflector end.

Bolts right up to the existing mounting point. 5 minutes to put on and take off.

You should note that ducktails for the 993 is different (shorter) than the ones for 964 and 911.

jackb911 12-02-2009 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Different strokes, and all that. Some of us aren't track rats and/or don't want a big ol' boy racer wing on the back.

Regarding the lack of downforce thing, it would seem reasonable to assume that a ducktail reduces rear lift at least as much as the stock movable spoiler on a 993. If that was not the case, then why does the megabuck 997 Sport Classic have a ducktail?

My ducktailed "ex"...I miss it.

Attachment 1234894

axl911 12-02-2009 12:39 PM

Oh...and another question that will inevitably come up...."Will the ducktail affect engine air intake or cooling capacity."

Well, I have a ducktail and a Vram in my car. Driving home in Texas in the middle of August I was SHOCKED to find the v-ram manifold is COOL to the touch when I pulled into the garage!

g-50cab 12-02-2009 02:03 PM

I like the duck on a 993 - as soon as I end up with one I will put a duck tail on it - maybe even some custom fuchs -

For the track - some good track wheels and boy racer wing -

mcipseric 12-11-2009 05:33 PM

The RS wing is quite a bit lighter than the movable one. I would think that would mean the greatest technical advantage. Removing weight from the rear would equate to better handling and performance.

flyingchappy 12-12-2009 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by axl911 (Post 7112338)
Oh...and another question that will inevitably come up...."Will the ducktail affect engine air intake or cooling capacity."

Well, I have a ducktail and a Vram in my car. Driving home in Texas in the middle of August I was SHOCKED to find the v-ram manifold is COOL to the touch when I pulled into the garage!

axl911,
I too am pondering the duck! I love the retro look, can you post more pics if possible? I suppose the one from rennspeed comes with all of hardware, although since I have an S, the split grill on it would look kinda funny...I think.

993/907 12-12-2009 10:07 AM

How do you disable the automatic up/down gizmo? I unplugged mine at the motor and set off red warning lights in the dash......

windydog 12-12-2009 11:10 AM

Yes, the ducktail is a nice touch.

Falcondrivr 12-12-2009 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by g-50cab (Post 7112547)
I like the duck on a 993 - as soon as I end up with one I will put a duck tail on it - maybe even some custom fuchs -

For the track - some good track wheels and boy racer wing -

Hey J:
I'll trade you my 993 for your cab for a weekend sometime...
Rick

jackb911 12-12-2009 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by mcipseric (Post 7137622)
The RS wing is quite a bit lighter than the movable one. I would think that would mean the greatest technical advantage. Removing weight from the rear would equate to better handling and performance.

I've had both a RS wing on a stock lid and a ducktail on my ex-993. The all 'glass ducktail is significantly lighter than the RS wing setup. I liked the looks of both setups equally well, but due to ride height/driveway considerations I never got the front splitters. I didn't think the RS wing looked right w/o the splitters, so I eventually went back to the ducktail.

Regarding the spoiler warning light, the module needs to be unplugged to defeat it. It is under the dash, passenger side under the carpet at the top part of the footwell.

1pcarnut 12-12-2009 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by 993/907 (Post 7138925)
How do you disable the automatic up/down gizmo? I unplugged mine at the motor and set off red warning lights in the dash......

There is a relay to unplug up under the dash next to the glove box and no more warning light.

CAHRERA 12-12-2009 09:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by flyingchappy (Post 7138832)
axl911,
I too am pondering the duck! I love the retro look, can you post more pics if possible? I suppose the one from rennspeed comes with all of hardware, although since I have an S, the split grill on it would look kinda funny...I think.

flyingchappy, I have the ducktail on my C2S. I like it a lot. I can still see the wide-body flares which I like. :rockon: