Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW. GLAD YOU ARE OK !
Old 12-01-2009, 05:10 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RJT
........I wouldn't use any of Bruce Anderson's valuations for 993. He's too low. Don't even mention him (Excellence). .......Good Luck.
Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
Excellence is way off base.......
I'll admit I don't have any 993 experience whatsoever (and only a couple of years with a Boxster and 944's). But I had no idea that Excellence's market evaluations were that far off base. Is that across all the models? Or something unique to 993's? I figured values were based upon lots of market research, and compiled for subscribers handy reference.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:25 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aj986s
I had no idea that Excellence's market evaluations were that far off base. Is that across all the models? Or something unique to 993's? I figured values were based upon lots of market research, and compiled for subscribers handy reference.
Ha. You should click over to the Early 911S Registry forum and type "Bruce Anderson" into the search engine. It's a spectacle. For years, Bruce Anderson's "market report" -- which is based on nothing but the opinions of Bruce Anderson -- insisted that early 911's were worth about half to a third of what they were routinely selling for.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1.

Bruce has been of "questionable opinion" ever since I began my subscription last century...

I found him to be almost insanely off base when it came to the 944 series. His 951 valuations, in particular, were off by double digit percentages when compared to real world sales.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:43 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Like everyone said, that was a real hit.

No better way for the car to go than keeping your skin intact!

Glad you are well.

No go buy another one! ... you'll have to get a RUF this time.... slippery slope!!!
Old 12-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

When compiling your file also flag how mileage/ colour/ trim can affect prices as well. I went through this with my wife's totalled 535i and was able to increase their original offer significantly.

Cheers,

David
Old 12-01-2009, 06:02 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Make sure you claim your recent +$1,200 full concours detail into the equation too.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:14 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The insurance company may factor in the determined cause of the accident in their offer as well.

As for what you paid for it, they won't care, since "overpaying" is not a metric of 'valuation'.

As for work done to the car (detailing, etc), they won't care either.

My sister in law is my insurance agent and can sometimes offer "explanations" as to how they work and think.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:16 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by need a 993
oops. forget the pics.
Holy ****! Glad you are ok.

So when do we start calling dibs on the parts. The body - er car - is cold now.

If the car still runs, the motor is worth a decent price.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Chris L
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by EckFe1
Her statistics showed that a Porsche Turbo only lasts an average of 90 days before it gets totaled.
She must mean that of those that get totaled, the average length of ownership is 90 days.

There are others that last a long, long time.

Chris.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:51 PM
TargaTango
Racer

A car is only money, and the main thing is that you are OK. Very sorry for your loss though. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:01 PM
need a 993
Instructor

Default Thanks for all the responses

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the responses. Condolences and sympathy from the 993 RL community really means a lot to a guy who just lost a most priced possesion. Of course, I am constantly aware of how lucky I was to survive, but it doesn't mean I don't already miss my car. I just wanted to take a minute to respond to all the comments and questions in one concise post. Here goes:

Yes, I was extremely lucky to literally walk away with just some cuts and bruised ribs. Fortunately, no one else was in the car.

It appears that some RL'ers believe that building a case for myself will be of benefit, while others aren't convinced. Fortunately, I have all receipts, including my purchase cost and other documentation, such as images from the recent detail. Hopefully, this, along with other comparable current for sale cars may help establish a fair value for my car.

As for securing an agreed value based policy for such a car, I did investigate this with my insurance company when insuring. They said they did not offer such a policy, but if and when this type of situation occurred, they would take extenuating factors into consideration. I truly never imagined this would happen and was very excited to just insure the car and start driving. Also, it was just simpler to keep the insurance for all my cars under one policy and hence I didn't pursue looking into insuring the 993tt with a different company. Lesson learned!

Many have suggested I offer to purchase the car for a percentage of the determined value. I will definitely consider this. I have already received numerous PM's asking for specific parts or the entire wreck.

And kudos to the person who noticed the glove box light was on.

This type of incident truly puts life into perspective. To all, please take a second to reflect on the truly important things in your life- your health, family and friends.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:05 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Who's your insurer?
Old 12-01-2009, 09:10 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Man...sorry to see your beauty like that. Good luck with the insurance company so you can get back into a 993 soon.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,124 Likes on 1,822 Posts

Originally Posted by need a 993
This type of incident truly puts life into perspective. To all, please take a second to reflect on the truly important things in your life- your health, family and friends.
Great to see someone make the best out of a sad situation. I'm sorry for your loss but kudos on your reflections...experiences like these can be priceless.

Quick Reply: Sad day. My car is wrecked. See pics