Sad day. My car is wrecked. See pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

First of all, glad you are OK.
Second, What no Tiger Woods remarks?

OK, in all seriosness, YOU have to agree/acccept the offer, do not accept their initial offer if you do not agree with it. It will probably help if you have any documented evidence of similar valuation of "like" car[s]. That may get tricky.

when my wife's 912 was totaled, I was fortunate that 912 sales were at a premium. There were many ads in excellence for 912's at the time for between $7K - $12K. I faxed (yes it was that long ago) copies of the ads to the adjuster and they increased the valuation. Ultimately, they still want to keep you as a happy customer, because they want your premiums, if they **** you off, you are likely to go with another company. It may take some iterations, but be patient.

Then go get another 993!
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 186 Posts

It hurts to see any 993t broken like that, but thank God you weren't hurt. It may take a while, but you'll be able to find another one to replace it with.
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

Find Tom R who frequents the 944 boards. He has experience in squeaking every possible dollar out of a claim and wrote an article (MNYR Post?) about his travails.

Nasty accident--glad that you're ok.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:37 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sucks. Damn, that car was a museum piece.

For ins. you need to start collecting all the low mile TT for sale adds you can. Go to all the high end used dealer sites like sloan, RPM, Speedmore (is that right?) and start collecting asking prices. Going to be hard to find comparable low mileage. You can definitely negotiate with them on your settlement. Don't take their first offer. They'll lowball you if you let them. If their first offer is like $60k, tell them to find you a similar car far sale @ $60k and you'll buy it. They won't find it and will be forced to negotiate with you. This is all assuming that you do not have an agreed value collector car policy in which the value has been previously agreed upon between insured and insurer, but your car is not old enough for such a policy.

GL with insurance co..

Maybe in your data search you'll also find a replacement TT.

Phil
Old 12-01-2009, 11:39 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Like I said earlier, glad you are OK. Can you share with us what happened? Rain? Black ice? Cold tires? Lifted throttle? Pushing it? Too much of Phil's tire dressing?
Old 12-01-2009, 11:43 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sloan, RPM and Willhoit currently have similiar cars for sale that you will be able to use as comps and/or potential replacements.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,425 Likes on 825 Posts

ouch, sorry to see that.

Can I ask how the accident happened?
Old 12-01-2009, 11:44 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you're OK. That was a hard hit. Fortunately no one was in the passenger seat.....and that it wasn't the driver's side that made contact. Would have been a much different story......

Excellence Magazine's annual valuation chart is a good and reliable resource tha the insurance can take into account. Also, receipts for any recent major expenses or upgrades can also be submitted to help bolster your case.

Beautiful car....sad loss. Good luck with the outcome.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:46 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 354 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
WOW. The fact you were not seriously injured is a blessing. That was a hard hit.
+1 Be thankful that you didn't hit the tree on the drivers side. Glad you are okay. I Cringed just looking at your pictures. Wow..................

I wouldn't use any of Bruce Anderson's valuations for 993. He's too low. Don't even mention him (Excellence). I have a friend in the insurance biz (adjuster) I can ask him what he suggests. When my Brother's 914 was stolen he gathered proof that his car was pristine using pictures and had receipts for all the work he did and for what he paid for the car and he got what he wanted from the Insurance Company which was more than most 914's were going for.

Good Luck.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:58 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Excellence is way off base....and my car, as a 1998, was fine for Stated Value in Mass....others states may differ.

If you don't have it, try to get it.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear glad your ok thats the most important thing

Your insurance will try to give you book value. You'll end up having them send an appraiser and then you can get your own appraiser etc. If that doesn't work then you will both go before a mediator and they're decision will be final. Its a long process but the only way I know to get them to raise the payout closer to market value. Sadly I've gone through the process once before.

They will not negotiate either. Someone above mentioned that you cannot get an agreed upon value via collector insurace and that is also incorrect. I've had my car insured that way for over two years and suggest you do the same with your next 993 .
Old 12-01-2009, 12:16 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 354 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan
Someone above mentioned that you cannot get an agreed upon value via collector insurace and that is also incorrect. I've had my car insured that way for over two years and suggest you do the same with your next 993 .

We ALWAYS go with collector insurance agreed value with all our Porsches. It's the only way to go.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:37 PM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am glad to hear that you are OK. That is always the most important part. And very sorry about the accident.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:53 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I checked with my insurance company once about a 993 Turbo and the gal asked me why I would want to buy one. Her statistics showed that a Porsche Turbo only lasts an average of 90 days before it gets totaled.
Those are potent cars and it takes very skilled hands to drive them.
Glad you're OK. I hope this mishab doesn't keep you from getting one again. It's propably out of the question to get it fixed.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:55 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Sorry to see the sad state of your beautiful car. And only 9,000 miles.

Hope it goes well from here on out.

CP

Quick Reply: Sad day. My car is wrecked. See pics