993 Forum 1995-1998

WA State Emissions Testing

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 03:52 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default WA State Emissions Testing

My license tabs are due at the end of December so with the sun out this weekend, I decide to take the car down to the local testing center. Everyone must have been out shopping as there wasn't anyone in line. The first station tests the integrity of the gas cap after extracting the fifteen buck fee from my wallet. The second station with the dyno, just plugs the car into the state computer and almost instantaneously spits out a printout fortunately with "Pass" on it. I'm now relieved from having to return for another 2 years.

Testing the SC on the otherhand with SSI's is more interesting as the tester grins from ear to ear when the car's on the rollers with the roar of the exhaust.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:13 PM
ReinerFink
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see your car throws the "alles gut" codes.

My '95 C4 always confuses these guys. Once (a few years ago) they put the little box that measuers RPM on the hood. I said "Well, the engine is in the back" and they looked at me like I was crazy.

-reiner
Old 11-30-2009, 04:21 PM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had quite a different experience a couple months ago. I've had the SIA problem and associated CEL for a while so I cleared the CEL just before going to the emissions. What Idid not realize is that clearing the CEL also clears all the readiness codes and Washington has rules about having readiness codes set before testing. They don't require all of them. They wouldn't test my car without the readiness codes so I drove it around for a couple days, trying to follow the BMW driving profile. I managed to set a couple codes, but not all six. When I went back in, there still weren't enough codes set but the tech did the tailpipe sniffer test and passed my car.

After a few more days of driving all the readiness codes were set, which then brought back the SIA CEL. I too am good for another two years, so I should get the SIA ports cleaned out by then.

Last edited by MDamen; 12-01-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:42 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I've had a couple of issues having the cars done. Luckily there AWD & only do the tail pipe sniff.
The 95 C4 was cake, but the lady didn't wan to believe me it was AWD. They didn't read any codes, just did the pipe & gas cap test.

The 97 C4S was a PITA. I took it down, they again, didn't believe it was AWD, & were scared to put it on the dyno because it was to low. They did the cap, then plugged in the scanner, & the readiness codes were not all done. My battery went flat a bit earlier & reset it all. They just said to come back later, no extra fee. Drove the car all around, even went around Mt Rainier (beautiful sunny day). Came back after about 300mi. Dam codes were not reset, then the manager comes over & asked what the problem was, then said, it doesn't really matter about the readiness codes, & just did the tail pipe test.

If they are not set, just ask for a manager, & if you pass the sniffer test your done!

Quick Reply: WA State Emissions Testing