Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sumi's or Bridgestones

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Fly911
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a set of Sumis (225/40x18 and 285/30x18) on my 993, and I have also used the same tires on my Boxster. The Sumi's are ok for sedate street driving, but not more. I took my 993 to an autocross event, and decided to keep the Sumi's on rather than my track tires. Big mistake! The Sumis were slippinig and sliding all over the place, and the 993 understeered like never before. Braking was horrible and traction was bad too. I was able to spinn the wheels loose in second gear... My 993 sees around 50% track time, and the Sumi's bring the car to and from the track, that is about all they are good for. If you drive any Porsche the way the car is designed to be driven, Sumi's are definately not the tires. With only $35 up for the Bridgestones, that in a no brainer IMHO. However, if you drive like an old woman, never brake, never turn, never accelerate, never try to avoid an accident, etc, etc, then the Sumi's is good value for money. But you are driveing a PORSCHE!!! Go and get a set of decent tires, or sell you car!
Old 11-09-2009, 11:55 AM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fly911
I have a set of Sumis (225/40x18 and 285/30x18) on my 993, and I have also used the same tires on my Boxster. The Sumi's are ok for sedate street driving, but not more. I took my 993 to an autocross event, and decided to keep the Sumi's on rather than my track tires. Big mistake! The Sumis were slippinig and sliding all over the place, and the 993 understeered like never before. Braking was horrible and traction was bad too. I was able to spinn the wheels loose in second gear... My 993 sees around 50% track time, and the Sumi's bring the car to and from the track, that is about all they are good for. If you drive any Porsche the way the car is designed to be driven, Sumi's are definately not the tires. With only $35 up for the Bridgestones, that in a no brainer IMHO. However, if you drive like an old woman, never brake, never turn, never accelerate, never try to avoid an accident, etc, etc, then the Sumi's is good value for money. But you are driveing a PORSCHE!!! Go and get a set of decent tires, or sell you car!
This is good info to know, as I will be looking for Street/DE tires for next year. Now watching this thread!
Old 11-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I auto-Xed all last year on Sumi HTZ III's, is that what you had? While no where near the best, they were ok for me, good enough to take 3rd for the year out of 20 cars in my class. I did notice you got to play with the pressures a bit more with them, & the turn in & feel is a bit lacking. But over all traction was pretty good, & they held up great. Now this year, I changed over to PS2's & did a much better with them.

I feel Sumi's are a great all round tire. Hell I even drove them in the snow & ice. Sure there are much better rubber out there, but NOT at this price point. My PS2's were double the price of the Sumi's.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:25 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you all for the replies. Sorry I have been busy the last couple of days. I just attended my second autocross and came in 1st in my class on my PS2's. I can't stray too far from my budget, so I think I will have to suffer on some lesser tires for street usage and tours until I can afford a set of dedicated track tires.
I guess I should have mentioned, I am looking for 275/40-17's and 225/45-17's. The wife wants a wider tire in the rear for looks, so I got to get 275's. That means RE011's are out of the question. The Firestone Wide Ovals come in a 275/40 and a 215/45, so that might be a good option? I am also thinking about the BFG Super Sports... Aaarrgh! Too many choices!
Thanks again for all the hesponses.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:22 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Went through a couple sets of Bridgestone 750s before converting to the 760 sports. I have been pretty happy with them. Dependable performance in all (non-freezing) weather, including rain. A fair amount of tread life - I think they are UTQG 350s or something. I do a lot of highway miles and run stock alignment, and I will get just over 20K out of this set of rear 760 sports.

I think I drive aggressively but have not autoxed on them, so can't comment there.

dave
Old 11-10-2009, 12:42 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 432 Posts

I have a set of RE11's that replaced a set of PS/2's. All I can say is, Meh... The PS/2's were superior in every way. Turn in on the RE11's suck, ultimate grip is fine and they "communicate" reasonably well. I wish I went with a set of AD08's/StarSpecs/PS2's instead. I do have a set of Sumi HTRZIII's on my Saab and I'm fairly impressed with handling and grip but the Saab demands so much less than a 993. When I peel the tread off of the RE11's I'll be getting something different thats for sure.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:08 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

I am sure I am completely overthinking this, but I am still trying to decide while I wear out my last 1/32 of tread on the PS2's.
How about the Firestone Wide Ovals in a 215/45 and a 265/40? Any experience with these. I decided against the RE760's since they have a 340 A traction rating compared to the Sumi's and Wide Oval's 320AA.
My car is pretty well balanced now, would there be any benefits/drawbacks to using a 275 rear, 215 front?
Thanks again!
Old 11-15-2009, 12:25 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Were these HTRZIII or II?

If they are HTRZIIIs, these are interesting comments considering it goes against what many others have said and expeirneced with the HTRZIII's.
Maybe a bunch of "old women's" opinions I guess

I should clarify, I am talking about the comments regarding street use.
Also, how do we explain the various tire tests done by various sources? All wrong?

Quick Reply: Sumi's or Bridgestones