Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Britax child seats measurements

Old 11-05-2009, 02:59 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Britax child seats measurements

I know the topic of car seats that fit in the rear has been discussed a number of times, but I am looking for an actual pic of the base of the Britax Roundabout and/or Boulevard models. Ideally a pic taken from the bottom with a ruler or some other reference point would be great.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2009, 03:55 AM
tanger
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

I just got a Britax Diplomat (I believe it is the same size as the Roundabout, just with more safety features). I also have a Boulevard installed in one of my other cars. I won't be able to get the pic and measurements until the weekend, but will post them as soon as I can.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:58 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

David,
I have the Britax Diplomat. I got the BK outside mounts (not the tunnel side) and inserted them in the seat mount points. I then took the LATCH belt off the old infant carrier (the Diplomat LATCH clasps won't work on the BK mounts), since they are more simple hooks and allow for a bigger thing to grab on to. I secure the seat with the LATCH on the BK, and for good measure I route the 3 point belt as normal. I have to roll a towel a bit in the front so that the angle is right and my son's head doesn't flop down when taking a nap. This is of course assuming forward facing, child of sufficient size, all that.

In short, it works well, is VERY solid, seems very secure. I can't move it in any direction once in. You do have to be careful when raising / lowering the cab top as it catches on the side impact portion of the car seat. No biggie, just have to push it in a bit to allow it by. Oh, and I had to remove the ***** that adjust the side impact bolsters up and down. No biggie, they just unscrew and I store them with the seat so I can readjust as he grows.

Does that help, or do you need actual measurements? If you call Britax, they can probably give you measurements...they are very helpful. If not, find out if the Boulevard has the same dimensions as the Roundabout and I can help you out.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a starriser comfy for you if you want it.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:49 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tanger
I just got a Britax Diplomat (I believe it is the same size as the Roundabout, just with more safety features). I also have a Boulevard installed in one of my other cars. I won't be able to get the pic and measurements until the weekend, but will post them as soon as I can.
Yes, please...I'd appreciate it. Neither of these is available for sale in Hong Kong so I can't take any measurements....I am planning on picking one up on our next trip to the U.S.

Originally Posted by JPS
....I got the BK outside mounts (not the tunnel side) and inserted them in the seat mount points...I have to roll a towel a bit in the front so that the angle is right and my son's head doesn't flop down when taking a nap....You do have to be careful when raising / lowering the cab top as it catches on the side impact portion of the car seat. No biggie, just have to push it in a bit to allow it by....
I am planning on doing the same thing...I've already got a hold of the lap belt mounts and plan to use the latch fixings since there is no way that the normal belts are secure enough and I'm not a fan of using the Mighty-tites. I figured that I might have some problems with clearance with the top and also that the seat angle might be too upright and may need to be modified/adjusted somehow.

Originally Posted by Father of 3
I have a starriser comfy for you if you want it.
Sure I'll take it...thanks! This might all be for naught as Bri is not a fan of my car since there is no video screen for her to watch videos
Old 11-05-2009, 11:06 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think mine is the Roundabout---no issues fitting.
Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2009, 12:04 AM
neunneundrei
Racer

Ok, I'm retarded tonight - went and took pictures and all then realized that you weren't interested in the Parkway model...

...maybe shove some pillows there until the little one doesn't need them any more and it'll give me the excuse to post the pics?

What I did notice is this and I'm not sure what measurements may help you - but it's really the shape of the base the suits the 993 rear seats so well that is the difference with other car seats. Other car seats can have quite a rectangular base - even if they are seemingly narrow they will fit the front of the rear 993 seat, but not the back.

So even if I could post some pics I wouldn't know how to show you relative measurements of the curvature of the part that fits in the back part of the seat. To wit, if you look at the Britax web site (http://www.britax.com) you'll find specifications there, but it's of the widest part of the base and doesn't describe the narrowest (because it's rounded).
Old 11-06-2009, 12:33 AM
tanger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neunneundrei
Ok, I'm retarded tonight - went and took pictures and all then realized that you weren't interested in the Parkway model...
Is your Parkway the new model (Parkway CS)? I plan to transition to that one in about 6 months since my daughter is borderline too big for the Diplomat I just bought (my 7mo old will be perfect for it by then). I heard somewhere that the new Parkway model is slightly bigger than the old one and hence fit is a bigger issue.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:42 AM
neunneundrei
Racer

Is your Parkway the new model (Parkway CS)? I plan to transition to that one in about 6 months since my daughter is borderline too big for the Diplomat I just bought (my 7mo old will be perfect for it by then). I heard somewhere that the new Parkway model is slightly bigger than the old one and hence fit is a bigger issue.
No, it's the older model so I can't speak to the newer one - sorry.
Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2009, 12:26 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

i used the Rennline harness mounts mounted at the seat belt mounting points and use with the LATCH as well, Very secure.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:00 PM
KM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Will be trying to install a new Britax Roundabout in the 993. Thought I remember reading previously that using seat belt mounts (BK, Rennilne, etc) as a locking point for the LATCH anchors did not work very well. Sounds like what I remember is either incorrect or has changed.

If going this route, is there any difference between the two types of anchors mentioned (BK and Rennline)? They certainly look similar. JPS mentions he needed to swap out to a different style LATCH anchor on his child seat using the BK mounts. I'm unclear which model seat 95_993 is using with the Rennline anchors and whether the same issue was enountered. Any tip/tricks to using either of these mounts would be appreciated. Photos are always a plus.

KM
Old 11-07-2009, 03:46 AM
tanger
Rennlist Member

OK, here are pics of the Britax Diplomat. If you really want the same for the Boulevard, let me know (was too lazy to take it out of my car since its around midnite LA time) but I think anything bigger than the Diplomat is not going to fit. I also just got in my Rennline mounts today (http://www.rennline.com/Harness-Moun...ductinfo/SA03/) and the LATCH system seems to work perfectly (at least out of the car).

I did place the seat in the car just to test fit, and while the base doesn't go all the way back, the overall fit seems pretty snug and tight (in a good way). Only hesitation I have is that the top of the car seat is an inch or two from the top slope of the roof. I don't know if my daughter's head will be too high - may have to remove the bottom seat cushion to gain another inch or so.

Let me know if you want more measurements.

I'll try and take more pics tmrw when I do the install.
Attached Images     
Old 11-07-2009, 08:43 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

BK or Rennline harness mounts do not work very well with the LATCH attachements that come on the Britax. I used a COSTCO seat that uses LATCH hooks similiar to the ones used for the Tether strap. More of a hook than a clip and it fits over the Rennline harness mounts easily. I'll try to take pics later today.

Last edited by 95_993; 11-07-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:57 PM
tanger
Rennlist Member

Did the install yesterday, took about 45 minutes (15 of which related to REALLY tightening the seat).

I was able to use the Rennline mounts with no issues whatsoever with the Diplomat LATCHes. They were easy to install. The only thing that did interfere with the mount was the plastic cover on the tunnel side, i had to peel it back (normally the bolt goes over it).

The seat is already snug and immobile, but I am also using the shoulder belt as a backup with the mighty tite.

You can see how tight a fit the seat is, particularly with respect to headroom. I thought about removing the bottom seat cushion, but didnt think i would gain much since the base is too wide to go down any futher. My daughter is 36in tall and she has maybe another 2 inches before a major bump becomes dangerous. Plan to switch to the Parkway SG booster in a few months.

Bottom line is that I took my daughter for a spin last night and she had a blast!
Attached Images      
Old 11-08-2009, 10:16 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Thanks to everyone who has responded with advice and their experience!

Tanger - thanks very much for the pic...do you know offhand if the dimensions for the bottom of the Boulevard is similar to that of the Diplomat?

OK, here are pics of the Britax Diplomat. If you really want the same for the Boulevard, let me know (was too lazy to take it out of my car since its around midnite LA time) but I think anything bigger than the Diplomat is not going to fit. I also just got in my Rennline mounts today (http://www.rennline.com/Harness-Moun...ductinfo/SA03/) and the LATCH system seems to work perfectly (at least out of the car).

I did place the seat in the car just to test fit, and while the base doesn't go all the way back, the overall fit seems pretty snug and tight (in a good way). Only hesitation I have is that the top of the car seat is an inch or two from the top slope of the roof. I don't know if my daughter's head will be too high - may have to remove the bottom seat cushion to gain another inch or so.

Let me know if you want more measurements.

I'll try and take more pics tmrw when I do the install.

To increase headroom, can't you remove the base of the carseat (it looks like removal would be permanent thoug)? Other than allowing the seat to tilt, does the base add any value? It looks like it reduces headroom by quite a bit.

You can see how tight a fit the seat is, particularly with respect to headroom. I thought about removing the bottom seat cushion, but didnt think i would gain much since the base is too wide to go down any futher. My daughter is 36in tall and she has maybe another 2 inches before a major bump becomes dangerous. Plan to switch to the Parkway SG booster in a few months.

Last edited by David in LA; 11-08-2009 at 11:17 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Britax child seats measurements