Sponsored by:

New 993 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 04:07 PM
arjag
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 993 Owner

Hi everyone, some introductions are in order. My 993 arrived yesterday and I finally managed to pull myself out of it long enough to post this. I live in Nova Scotia and found the car in Toronto a couple of weeks ago. Thanks to the guys on the Canada site and a PPI I was confident that this was the car that I wanted. It is a 1998 S, with sport seats, aluminum trim package, sunroof, rear wiper and engine sound options. It has only 75K km and is in pristine shape, I am the fourth owner.
Although I am trying to find my way around tis site it is still a bit daunting so pardon my newbieness if I ask questions that are already covered. The first question that I had was regarding the oil level indicator gauge. The dipstick is reading half way into the twisted bit but the gauge is pegged at the bottom. Faulty gauge or should I add a bit of oil. The pressure gauge is reading almost to the top of the gauge at speed.
Are the red brakes an option? They are obviously professionally done if not.
And now for the pictures so I can get back outside, oh and by the way, thanks in advance for all the help! This site has already been awesome in helping me get this far with my purchase.
Alex Jurgens
Attached Images     
Old 11-01-2009, 04:26 PM
PecosBill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:40 PM
2fast2c
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, great looking car!!!!
Enjoy the finest designed car.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Ocean Blue C2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great! What a beautiful 993, welcome to this site, it is awsome!

The "Big Reds" were standard on the Carrera 4S, so somebody upgraded the brakes, again a very nice upgrade! You also have the Turbo Twists wheels, again an upgrade, it all sounds good, eh (my Canuck note).

And don't go by the oil gauge! You have to idle the 993 for about a minute, placed on a level surface and then read the dipstick, and make sure the oil is warmed up! Only then can you get an accurate reading of the oil.

I have no advice on the gauge, it may be faulty maybe somebody else can answer that question.

Congratulations, I bought my 1998 Carrera C2S last March, picture attached. It is going in for its annual maintenance check at the Porsche dealer here in Calgary, then "on blocks" till April :-(

Air-cooled Regards ( I moved from a 356 Cab to my 993...)

Bert
Calgary, Alberta

Last edited by Ocean Blue C2S; 10-06-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:02 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by arjag
Hi everyone, some introductions are in order. My 993 arrived yesterday and I finally managed to pull myself out of it long enough to post this. I live in Nova Scotia and found the car in Toronto a couple of weeks ago. Thanks to the guys on the Canada site and a PPI I was confident that this was the car that I wanted. It is a 1998 S, with sport seats, aluminum trim package, sunroof, rear wiper and engine sound options. It has only 75K km and is in pristine shape, I am the fourth owner.
Although I am trying to find my way around tis site it is still a bit daunting so pardon my newbieness if I ask questions that are already covered. The first question that I had was regarding the oil level indicator gauge. The dipstick is reading half way into the twisted bit but the gauge is pegged at the bottom. Faulty gauge or should I add a bit of oil. The pressure gauge is reading almost to the top of the gauge at speed.
Are the red brakes an option? They are obviously professionally done if not.
And now for the pictures so I can get back outside, oh and by the way, thanks in advance for all the help! This site has already been awesome in helping me get this far with my purchase.
Alex Jurgens
Congrats on a beautiful car. I'm sure many will chime in here on the oil gauge/dipstick issue. First off, always make sure the car is completely level and up to running temperature (at least 8 O'Clock on the temp guage) then let it idle for a minute or two before checking the gauge or stick. Half way up the twisty part is good. If your gauge isn't showing any movement at idle, there is a DIY here you can search for describing how to 'adjust' the float in the oil tank. Works pretty much like a toilet tank float adjustment and takes a little tweaking to get it perfect, otherwise just keep checking oil on the stick. My car's gauge is fairly accurate and I run my oil about 3/4 of the way up the twisty part. If you fill it further than that you will get blow-by and that ugly 'oil burning on the exchanger smell' which isn't the end of the world, but annoying.
Hope that helps..
Old 11-01-2009, 05:13 PM
TURBO-951
Racer

Originally Posted by PecosBill
Beautiful.
^ What he said ^

I think I've seen that C2S here in T.O before........ Looked real sweet if that was the one.

Cheers
Old 11-01-2009, 05:22 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great looking car. Your oil level is good if it is halfway up the stick. Just where you want it. Forget the gauge and just continue to check the oil with the dipstick.

Congratulations and welcome!
chuck
Old 11-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations, Arjag.

The oil quantity guage confuses a number of new owners. I had to figure mine out in the Utah desert, on my delivery drive home.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:52 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 560 Likes on 378 Posts

Very nice find....congratulations! Oh, and welcome to the board.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

great looking car! Congrats!
Old 11-01-2009, 07:01 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Car looks great! Welcome!
Old 11-01-2009, 07:06 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good advice given above, except that my gauge works wonderfully. When warmed up and level as noted above, it sits in the middle and is easier to read than the BP on my dipstick.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:08 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful car. Welcome. I find it kind of funny that with all the refinements over the years, they never could get that one gauge to be worth a darn.

Cheers,
Emerald
Old 11-01-2009, 07:15 PM
arjag
Instructor

Thanks for the welcome!
I pretty much thought that the oil gauge issue was a non-issue but there is always that feeling that maybe the engine is running dry that scares you.

I was checking it on level ground so I was pretty sure that I was safe.

Ocean Blue: Thanks for the clarification on the "big reds" I wasn't sure about them, likewise with the 18 inch turbo twists - good t know. Your car looks sweeeet. Get ready for all of that Alberta snow. A 356 is in my future (I hope) - not a 993 but it can't be beat for looks!

2fast2c: Is "Nova" NS?

Alex
Old 11-01-2009, 08:44 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great looking C2S. Congratulations! Welcome to the Madness!

Quick Reply: New 993 Owner